Author Topic: The Gulf oil spill  (Read 15068 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:33 AM »
Quote from: skdadl;182046
You can certainly run into a lot of committed Obamites as well as Clintonistas online, and it's hard for a Canadian to cope with them because they're talking out of a kind of local siege mentality that we just can't share (thank god).

In my experience the Obamites are often lachrymose (Leave Barack alooooone!) and the Clintonistas are, um, very aggressive and only give you one chance, if that. And all of them are still blinded by American exceptionalism.

There are Americans who aren't like that. I like the people at EW's place because they are too committed to detective work (and come equipped with a variety of particular skill-sets) to put up with sheer histrionics for long. They just tend to freeze the noisy partisans out by ignoring them. I've seldom seen such discipline among an unmoderated crew of commenters, and I think that's because they usually have something to do. Read these files; explain this biotech to me or that law or this info-science puzzle, and they all just start chewing away. I don't have much to contribute except cheerleading from the sidelines and occasionally, as with Khadr, some local and historical fact, but they have been very nice to me and the other Canuck mascots. They remind me that there are wonderful Americans and we need to keep our analysis clear.

Terrific post there, skdadl - I just have a couple of quibbles ....

There are Americans who aren't like that
I would expand that to say that most Americans are not like that. That you can identify them out of a group says they are in a minority.

and

I don't have much to contribute except cheerleading from the sidelines
I have been reading FDL for quite some time, even before BnR, and you make very intelligent and telling comments and additions.You may roll-play teh pet-Canadian because you are naturally more knowledgeable and more interested in matters Canadian, but are a respected commentator there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:01:46 AM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
Croggy, I saw you comment there the other day! Good comment, too. I was going to say hi, but I was distracted by something else and never got back. The funniest thing was, immediately after your comment, someone came in to say, to a commenter above you, "Are you who I think you are?" And I should have jumped in right away and said to you, "Are you who I think you are?"  :biggrin1:

I usually don't pipe up much, but the Khadr threads kept us all busy for a day or so, and there are particular stories I know in detail from congressional committee hearings, so I can sometimes contribute there. I often enjoy just reading the discussions of, eg, the anthrax attacks, because all these people with lab backgrounds will come out of the woodwork and start explaining what is and isn't possible. Same thing when they talk about surveillance tech. Some of the smartest people just lurk until they actually have something to say. I'm in more of a middle category.  ;)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »
Michael Whitney at The Seminal:
The White House allowed BP to hide its video feed of a gushing oil pipe in the Gulf of Mexico from the public for three weeks, all the while that same video played live in the White House Situation Room, ABC reports.
The release of even the 30 second video clip showing the oil spewing uninhibited into the ocean immediately led outside observers to conclude the disaster was far worse than the 210,000 gallon estimate of the NOAA and Coast Guard. One scientist predicted to NPR that the rate is more in the range of almost 3 million gallons a day based on an analysis of the video released by BP.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

pogge

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
Jed Lewison at dkos:
Last night 60 Minutes broadcast a stunning report on the Deepwater Horizon disaster featuring an eyewitness account from crewmember Mike Williams and analysis from Dr. Bob Bea, a UC Berkeley engineering professor asked by the White House to help figure out what went wrong.

According to Williams, several weeks before the explosion, the blowout preventer was damaged but despite the damage, BP ordered the rig operator to ignore critical a safety measure when sealing the well. BP wanted the rig operator to seal the well without using drilling mud, a heavy liquid used to keep oil and gas from burbling up as cementers completed the seal.
It gets worse: 60 Minutes reports a BP insider says he is concerned about another risky rig, the Atlantis platform. According to the insider -- whose account is confirmed by internal BP e-mails -- nearly 90% of the safety documents needed to run the platform safely hadn't been reviewed by BP. At best, BP is flying blind on the Atlantis, so this could all happen again.

pogge

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
Gulf oil spill leak now pegged at 95,000 barrels a day
WASHINGTON — The latest video footage of the leaking Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico show that oil is escaping at the rate of 95,000 barrels — 4 million gallons — a day, nearly 20 times greater than the 5,000 barrel a day estimate BP and government scientists have been citing for nearly three weeks, an engineering professor told a congressional hearing Wednesday.
I'm also seeing reports that BP is preventing the news media from investigating the damage and obtaining air and water samples. And the government is backing BP and claiming to be helpless to get any more information than BP wants to give. This is a monumental clusterfuck.

When this first happened it was incorrectly labeled as Obama's Katrina. But the more that the government soft-pedals the damage and covers for the oil industry, the more that characterization becomes accurate.

Toedancer

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
The Gov of Mississippi is a Lunatic-Gas Cards for Cancer

Encouraging people to ruin their health - that's criminal!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
Boycott BP.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Boom Boom

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
Outrageous! Meanwhile, boycott BP groups are springing up, including this one on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-BP/119101198107726?v=wall

Toedancer

• View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »
Update to skdadl's post/Embeds only

Wang ties the CBS incident to a McClatchy report that BP "hasn't publicly divulged the results of tests on the extent of workers' exposure to evaporating oil or from the burning of crude over the gulf, even though researchers say that data is crucial in determining whether the conditions are safe."

What does that remind you of? 9/11's 'air' was 'safe' to breathe and now they are dying off without compensation.

Biggest environmental FUBAR the states have ever seen!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Yeah, the embeds only was my favourite part. And that was the Coast Guard statement. *stick out tongue at Coast Guard*

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
Ha. No kidding. "Just today 16 members of the press observed clean-up operations on a vessel out of Venice, La." See? Strong, committed journalism continues apace. I have no idea what CBS is on about. Here we are, British Petroleum, fully responsible for the world's biggest environmental clean-up festival.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »
Don't worry about cribbing from us, btw, Catchfire. I'm basically cribbing from EW, too many threads now to link to (people know where she is, I hope). A few of the congresscritturs are really on fire as they grill the BP guys -- one good vid going up at EW's place after another. I'll try to settle down and sum up a few other scandalous things they pursued yesterday.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
The Gulf oil spill
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »
The live feed at spillcam gas gone down : http://globalwarming.house.gov/spillcam

ETA : OK, CBC has it up
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:05:42 PM by Alison »

Return To TAT