Author Topic: Ottawa civic ..  (Read 2676 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
Ottawa civic ..
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »
The good people that did not live in Ottawa until Mike Harris decided they should live in Ottawa elected Larry O'Brien as Mayor in the last civic.

Larry O'B was a businessman ... not a computer geek, but a guy that hired computer geeks on contract - he promised to:

reduce taxes,
bring a business attitude to City Hall,
reduce taxes,
get rid of plan #493 to ease downtown traffic
and .... reduce taxes.

Well - he was

successful at reducing taxes .... so successful in fact that Ottawa could not afford to remove the snow from the streets in 2007-08.

successful in bring a business sense to City Hall: he was charged with buying off his opposition. (with the help of John Baird)

successful in removing from the table plan #493 from the traffic table in order to introduce plan # 494.

Hell-of-a-gyu, the Larry .... just a hell-of-a-Guy! :peace2:

Now, we find in the Citizen today he is ..... well ..... Larry is nice. :preghug:
Mayor Larry O’Brien began last Wednesday’s council meeting by effusively thanking the “hard-working public servants” who dealt with the H1N1 crisis last year.
[/COLOR]

O’Brien then went on to congratulate Councillor Clive Doucet for being recently named Man of the Year by the local Consumers Association
[/COLOR]

He even likes 'lefties' too:

“I have been impressed by the logic of Councillor (Diane) Holmes.”
[/COLOR]

Mind you in cancelling plan #493 it cost the city about $36 million -

Mind you that by cancelling a plan from some city 'business people' for a park, with an international design competition it made a fool of the city ....

Mind you, he is a good conservative. A good conservative in that, rather than rule by fiat - he prefers consultation. Especially with the new Landsdown Park development .. he defines consultation in the Colbert way: "We present; You agree."

Looks to me as if the Citizen is willing to accept that his first term was just training for a newbie in politics. Now we are allowed a Mayor ...

[/COLOR]
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Ottawa civic ..
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
When I saw the thread title, it made me recall the Ottawa Civic Hospital on Carling Avenue, where I was born lo these many years ago.:age:

Croghan27

• View Profile
Ottawa civic ..
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:40:50 PM »
Quote from: Boom Boom;181849
When I saw the thread title, it made me recall the Ottawa Civic Hospital on Carling Avenue, where I was born lo these many years ago.:age:

I went through the flip side of the equation there a couple of years ago, Boom Boom.

My heart rate zipped up to around 180 bpm. My doctor, consulting his Ontario rules of doctor's book said: "Go to a hospital. Do not stop at a bank to pick up any money. Do not go home to get any clean underwear. Go to the hospital, immediately. I will tell them you are coming."

From that I took it he was serious.

They whisked me though the Emerge and into a room where a heart guy said he was going to slow my heart down. He would have to put me out of a second to do it.

Sure, says I ... OK.

I could see monitor .... 178bpm, 182bpm, 180bpm, then I went out. When I awoke it said 80 bpm. I was impressed. :)

Then it read 70 bpm and I said: good work, doc.

Then it read 60 bpm and I said: even better doc ..

Then it read and I said: ... Doc ... oh doc ... (he had left the room) .Doc .... what's up doc??? DOC??? :whistle:

Then all went blank again.

The croggy heart stopped, colour me code blue. .... they had killed me.

I managed to make it back from the netherworld ... (with the help of jj) :eyebrows: but if you were born there, there I died.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Ottawa civic ..
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »
We might have had this conversation before, but would either of you know which Ottawa hospital Queen Juliana's baby was born at during the war? Because that's where I was born too, soon after the war. Would that be the Civic?

Same doctor too. Me mudder (who was a nurse) did not like him.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Ottawa civic ..
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
...When her third child Margriet was born, the Governor General of Canada, Alexander Cambridge, Earl of Athlone, granted Royal Assent to a special law declaring Princess Juliana's rooms at the Ottawa Civic Hospital as extraterritorial so that the infant would have exclusively Dutch, not dual nationality. Had these arrangements not occurred, Princess Margriet would not be in the line of succession...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_of_the_Netherlands#Canadian_exile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT