Author Topic: Shoes, the conspicuous consumption of  (Read 8572 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Shoes, the conspicuous consumption of
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »
I got some jellies, plastic Crocs in wild blue-green, to wear as bath slippers. I hate putting my feet into leather or fleece after a shower or bath -- feet are never entirely dry, need a chance to dry off in dead-neutral zone, so that's why the Crocs.

They're very cute, and I love that I can wash them, but I can't wear them very long. The soles are groovy inside, stimulating little prickles, but they are rigid b/c plastic (or whatever they are). I have blood-circ problems in ankles, hence feet, so w/i an hour or so the Crocs will be cutting off my circ and causing bad swelling. By then feet are dry though.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »
So I guess you can't wear the Crocs as gardening clogs.

Feets is funny things - I'm very comfy at home in my Crocs and they definitely do not make my feet and ankles swell - though my problem (arthritis) is different from yours. They are very cushiony but I don't feel they would be supportive enough to wear outside. I'm wearing them with thick woollen socks now though. Matching, actually - my Crocs are red and my socks are red and black stripes. Looks a bit carnivalesque, but Renzo doesn't mind. Another plus is that they are noiseless - an important factor living in an upper flat.

My friend in Germany and some others swear by Birkenstocks, but my friend K and I can't wear them at all and they make costly mistakes. The "toes" - toe recesses on the moulded soles - are in the wrong place for both of us, though we have very different feet. They give us blisters and hurt. I do have better luck with German shoes than any others, but different brands.

My Josef Seibel "Dinah" double-strap Mary Janes are the most comfy shoes I've ever had, even counting sport and athletic shoes. I thought they had disappeared from the face of the earth (my old pair is very worn out, having trudged across a couple of continents) but fortunately Eurêka! comfort shoes on St-Hubert near me had one pair left.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:53:55 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
When I break in a pair of comfy shoes, I wear them until they are basically falling apart. I always tell my self, buy a second pair but you never really know how perfect they are until you've worn them for a month or more. By then, stock has often completely changed or they never had more than two pairs in your size.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
I have some shortie rain shoes for gardening clogs. They're probably not rubber, but they're more flexy than Crocs -- they're the industrial yellow kind with black curly edges, very comfortable, although hardly shower shoes. The jellies are very cute, very good for the shower/bath, but pretty unforgiving, and I don't think they ever get broken in.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
Having recently visited a podiatrist for a number of Croc-acquired problems, I do not rely on them anymore for anything but yard work -- and not much at that. I will sooner put on an old pair of runners now.

Which is too bad because I literally have a dozen pairs -- classic, thongs, mules, wedgies, high, low, all kinds -- which I have never worn but bought on sale when the Crocs store in Montreal shut down.

If anybody is a size 9, let me know. Otherwise, most  going to the Diabetes Association on April  15 when they come round to pick up.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Having recently visited a podiatrist for a number of Croc-acquired problems, I do not rely on them anymore for anything but yard work -- and not much at that. I will sooner put on an old pair of runners now.

Yeah me too  :crying I also have to get New Balance with the anti-roll-over thingie.
Orthotics to go into them are the orders. And having Birks specially made up, because I'm never to walk on sand w/o them! But my nail less toe is looking really good!  :p
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »
I'm reviving this shoe topic, because while proper footwear is essential for demonstrating, I see that our current shoe discussion is under the Harper government...

infosaturated, there is an ortho shop even closer to where you live, Medicus, I think it is called? On St-Laurent between St-Joseph and Laurier, across from the baroque-style church in the pretty square. They have shoes and sandals for all kinds of ortho conditions, and an array of ortho devices. Not all the sandals are ugly, but of course nothing is cheap.

Eureka is having a sale now. Cripes, there should be some kind of subsidy for people on low incomes who need special shoes.

It is funny looking at the kids on the student demos. I've seen girls doing the whole damned march in flip-flops. I couldn't have done that even at the age of 18.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »
I did the McGill Francais March in 68 or 69 in ridiculously high heeled shoes. Walked from McGill to the stade at U d M. I was great in high heels until about three years ago. Then bam. No more.

Medicus is good but there isn't that much choice and it is pricey.

This Montreal chain is also pretty good.

I gave away 90% of my shoes when I moved but have held on to a few pairs -- nothing too dramatic -- for those rare occasions when i don't actually have to walk.

Meanwhile I live in my Finn Comforts at home, mostly Mephisto sandals or boots out (except when wearing my new Balance runners.)

Today I pulled out my MBT Mary Jane-style runners when I walked the dog because I hurt my heel on the weekend pounding away while at work and I find the MBTs give that heel spur a bit of a break.

Meanwhile, I have my eye on these. Just waiting for the sale.

It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
I love these, but I don't know anything about the company, the quality or the fit:
http://www.tffirma.com/store/fly-london-bam-ruby.html

A bit of a chunky heel doesn't bother me - so many other things do.

Didn't realize Terra Firma was a local chain.
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
OMG those are fabulous. If that's a soft sole, I'm in!
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »
I couldn't resist posting a link to these unique and oh-so-practical shoes:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/333012

Practical if you are a horse, I guess.
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
Wörishofer German orthopedic sandals have become the latest "ugly comfort shoes" to gain fashion status, after Birks, Crocs, Dr Scholls etc.

http://blogs.zappos.com/blogs/comfort/2012/02/25/new-brand-spotlight-w%C3%B6rishofer

I spotted these in a nearby shoe store and thought the 251 model was rather cute, in colours (I want the red ones, for people who like pink or yellow, those are darling too).

I sure as hell wouldn't wear the laced-up 583 model (no. 2 in the blog picture); they look cute on teens and 20-year-olds in the photos of them, not on anyone 50 or up...

Trying to assess whether they actually are comfortable.

The colourful sandals also exist with a second cross strap, or a back strap.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
They were originally made for peeps who needed ortho shoes for comfort wear, so I imagine they are. Other than that they are as ugly as a ducks foot, even bright spring colours can't hide that fact. eta - altho these have possibilities and yeah in red. http://www.zappos.com/worishofer-639
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:30:00 PM by Toedancer »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
I do have duck feet - they are wide in the front and narrower in the back. A guy I went out with when I was about 18 very helpfully pointed that out to me. That wasn't the reason it didn't work out, but it certainly didn't help.

These also come in a leopard pattern... Not my thing, but could be funny for some.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT