Author Topic: summer outings and happenings  (Read 6079 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
summer outings and happenings
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
We are gearing up for the run of summer happenings, festivals, street sales and general outings. Remember, these needn't be an expedition. This weekend the Grand Pricks take over our fair city, which mightily pisses me off all the more because it was grossly subsidised, while the World Cup of female cycling didn't get a sponsor this year, so no Montréal étape for those fine athletes. Pricks mean some pretentious nouveau-riche restaurants sell more champagne this weekend than the rest of the year, idem caviar, foie gras, Cuban cigars (for the Merkins) and whatever other conspicuously expensive substances high rollers can blow a stack of cash on.

I'm sure I'll have just as much fun tonight though as an Argentine friend is playing guitar and singing as part of a pena (songfest evening) at Restaurante Argentino, a sort of social-club type place due east of my neighbourhood. I've been past there and it is one of those pleasantly no-décor places with banners of football clubs and other mementoes from back home. Think the menu is pretty much empanadas, meat, Italian pasta dishes and gnocchi - a classic in Argentina, salads, etc. And strong red wine to put hair on yer chest. http://www.restaurantargentino.com  

Think a vegetarian would need a strong stomach, but there are meatless Italian dishes, salads and I believe at least one traditional meatless empanada (spinach and cheese - think it was a Lenten or Friday fast dish).

This weekend there are at least two major street sales (ventes-trottoir) on Mont-Royal and St-Laurent. These are street sales with artistic pretentions, but I'm sure there wasn't much of an ambiance this afternoon with the constant fine rain.

And chez vous?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:17:36 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:52:14 AM »
I'm replying to my own thread simply to say that "a good time was had by all" with many people getting up and performing music, song and recitation. Eventually even the chef joined in - and it was not a gimmick, he'd finished cooking massive quantities of dead beast and seemed in fine form - quite a burly fellow who wears a pirate bandana and long cook's apron, singing and playing guitar very skilfully. I'm sure we had much more fun with our modicum of strong red wine (we mostly drank water) and empanadas than the Pricks with their fountains of champagne.

The major street sales were pretty much rained out yesterday, but I'll be hitting them today, not so much for the usually crappy old stock but to see people taking over the streets and enjoying themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of summery outings and events where you live too, whether it is a small town (festival, community flea market...) or a major city. And all sorts of possible outings.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
Here in the small city, we have two summer festivals with blues and various musicians. Even la Dufresne will make an appearance in July.
One of the music groups scheduled for the blues festival happens to live right above my head. Like, they practice right above my bedroom. They're very respectful generally, but yesterday a much needed nap coincided with a lively practice so I kind of half-slept and woke up grumpier than I was before, with bass notes ringing in my head (they are the reason I have learned to sleep with earplugs firmly inserted). When the blues festival comes around, I'll have to go check them out. The bass player is a cutie.
One advantage of having the musicians above is that the kids caught the music bug; my 12-yr-old is taking guitar and his little brother is taking piano (with the promise that next year he can take piano *and* drums...)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
Well, I was inspired by this thread to do a search for festivals in my (also small) city. I was pleased at first to see that there is a jazz-blues festival in August, but when I went to their site, they were announcing that there would be no festival this year, but thanks for the support in the past.  :(  We have a challenged economy, suffice to say.

There is a one-day literary festival this month. Several friends from Toronto and Ottawa have told me that Durham region literary events are a going concern, so I'll think about that, although I have limited patience in readings. Great writers who have put me to sleep as they read their own stuff: it's a long list.

I think the best public festivity going here is the farmer's market that humanizes teh evul mall every Friday. Why am I not there today? Because I have a one-day sunny window between the rain yesterday and the rain tomorrow to finish digging, and then I need to walk up to the sexy butchers' later.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
Well, I hit the Mont-Royal street market and festival (there are paintings on the street, and evening events). I did actually buy something: some silver and green onyx earrings from India - the shop also has real pashminas, which are pricy indeed - hope the artesans see some of the money. In this case they should as the owner imports them directly and her husband is an (Indian) Kashmiri. They make my eyes sparkle. I'd been so impecunious of late that there are many things I need more, but perhaps I did need these on a certain level - I certainly don't consume a lot of jewellery or new clothing.

One annoying thing not only at street events but even walking through evul malls - which I do rarely - is beauty salons and estheticians making critical comment's about one's hair or skin in order to get you to consume their snake oil. I just laugh at that; I have very good skin for a person of my age. Now if only I had a skinny bum...

The Mont-Royal event had a pleasant boho character and there were lots of yard sales and an "ecosale" in a small parking lot - used only during the work-week - of people's old stuff. I looked but didn't buy anything. They were handing out leaflets on the three Rs (reduce, re-use, recycle) and toxic cosmetics.

skdadl, in general I hate readings as well. One of my best friends is always doing poetry readings. Usually I manage to weasel out of them, but I had to attend one a couple of weeks back. I survived. The interesting point for you of attending literary events is that you'll meet likeminded people where you live, always a bonus.
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Oh, and no disrespect meant to our own dear Berlynn or any other BnRer who's doing readings -- it's just that I don't take literary language in very well orally/aurally. (Aura Lee?) A format I do like is a very brief reading by the writer followed by good conversation -- the sort of thing Eleanor Wachtel does on CBC (Sunday 3-5, I see). I went to a session she did with Joan Didion a few years ago -- Didion started off by reading the intro to her new book, which I and, I suspect, everyone else present had already read multiple times in magazine excerpts, and I was in pain already ... But then she and Wachtel sat down and proceeded to talk, and that was fascinating.

Much as I admired Derrida as a writer and thinker -- and as a sweet person whom I came to know a little -- I truly thought I'd go mad listening to him deliver papers at colloquia. I don't know how anyone follows that kind of thought orally/aurally -- I sure can't. The only scholarly lecturer I ever truly enjoyed listening to in person was Edward Said, talking about opera. What a fabulous speaker and person he was. If I'd known when I was younger, I would have tried to be one of his students.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 08:59:21 PM »
We just had a little Jazz fest in our community/neighbourhood, which we attended on beautiful sunny days.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, we go out on the sailboat for a 3-20 day trip.  3 if the baby can't hack it or we find we need to do it in smaller chunks, 20 if all goes well.  My first vacation of more than a week since 2003.  (I did have a 6 week stress leave, which was not very vacationlike, and a 2 week broken ankle leave, which was also not much fun).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Here's hoping for you all abundant red skies at night (sailors' delight) and gentle waves to rock the new babe.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
Yes, that sounds loverly, arborman and arborfamily!
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:16:11 PM »
Happy Solstice, and Happy Aboriginal Peoples' Day! (and skdadl, remember that the days are getting longer in the Southern Hemisphere).
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
The Aboriginal Festival was different this year. Not as spunky, not as supported. Didn't matter, me and bff had a good time. We found a darling wee infant pair of leather moccies for her first expected grandchild in Oct. She is an advocate for native children, and works for a native Children's Aid and yet I had to help her strategise her upcoming appeal for WSIB. She was assaulted At Work by a worker!! Seems the agency condones bullying/violence (because they are Schedule 2, which means dollar for dollar) Bizarre, but that's the way it is. Her union is only 1 month old. This is going to be a doozy.

Yeah, Happy Solstice, except it just doesn't feel right this year.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

N.Beltov

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
The first evening of summer follows some local racing, yesterday,  in a 28' boat. We placed poorly but I enjoyed the new crew anyway. She did not know, I think, that I was the person with whom her brother had a head on crash. (Two motorcycles at speed. Near death for yours truly. Many, many years ago.) She was good with the jib sheets, with a steady hand on the helm, and was able to fly the chute until I got back in the stern after hoisting it.

I think I will have a week on the mainland, in the Vancouver area, and once I know what days that will be then I will be making massive plans. I hope it is during the Vancouver Folk Fest. I haven't been to Jericho Beach since ....? The 90's, I think.

More summer sailing, Schooner's Cove, round Salt Spring Island a few times, maybe an overnighter here or there.

And reading. Lots and lots of reading.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
Anyone thinking of going camping this summer?  Anyone from Toronto?

I just found out about this fascinating initiative:  http://parkbus.ca

They're a non-profit, with the goal of increasing access to provincial parks for people without cars, or who'd rather not use them to travel to the great outdoors.  Right now it's a pilot, with shuttles between TO and Algonquin Park, but with any luck it'll be successful and they'll add others.  Round trip from Toronto to Algonquin is a surprisingly reasonable $84.  I think it's too late in the summer to plan something (and book it!) but that just means I have a whole year to wind myself up.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:47 AM »
Just put wife and 2/3 of children on plan to PEI, will join in one week with the other 1/3, then three weeks vacation!  I've never had a vacation that long before.  Then I have to come back before everyone else and spend a week in Olds, Alberta [grumble]  ..  Well, I'm sure Olds is lovely, but there's no ocean there, is there?

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
I thought you had been barred from PEI, RP.

Return To TAT