Author Topic: summer outings and happenings  (Read 6080 times)

RP.

• View Profile
summer outings and happenings
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
Are you familiar with Sid Meirs' Pirates!, Caissa?

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
I just googled it. What part are you referring to?

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
Last night around 10 pm I asked the kids to go and see who was hammering outside. Then I went to look myself and it was the St-Jean fireworks - we have a great view of the city fireworks displays from the front porch of our new (but rather old) house. They always surprise me by holding them on the eve of the 23rd. I coulda done without the muffled and distorted sounds of a rock concert afterward...
Happy St-Jean everyone!
So the kids got another reminder about how the St-Jean and Christmas illustrate how Xtianity coopted pagan solstice festivals. Hope the lesson sticks.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
The concert I heard from my balcony last night was very Creole - I dunno whether it was in Jarry Park or le parc de la Petite Italie. There is a small local celebration I may head out to see. There are also Italy fans furiously honking horns and blowing into vuvuzelas, as Italy are set to play Slovakia. Other than that, everything is closed for La Fête nationale du Québec.

I think the St-Jean has kept much more of its pagan spirit than Christmas has, despite naming it for Jeebus's cousin. It is very important in the Scandinavian countries where it is almost endless day right now, and I think its importance among French settlers here is due to the Norman (Scandinavian) and Breton (Celtic) groups important among them. It used to be much wilder here, with celebrations all night on Mont-Royal.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
When I was in Edmonton I knew an academic couple who'd lived in Sweden for some years and brought midsummer night's celebrations back with them. I only did that with them and a large group of friends once, and it srsly knocked me out. At one point we had to be knocking back a small glassful of aquavit with every toast, and there were many toasts -- I ended up rigid. We all did make it through the night, though (and then wasted the beautiful day following by sleeping through it!).

Great food, lots of fish and fruit and pastries.

Bannockburn (24 June 1314) isn't a pagan commemoration -- it was real, and real bluidy. The good guys won. For a while.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Quote from: Caissa;184295
I just googled it. What part are you referring to?

I'm just remembering the 1988 version of the game.  "As you approach the town, you are recognized and the fort opens fire!  Do you:  Leave Port; Attack Town; Sneak into town"

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
One of my staff brought in an apple cake today, and on the box he wrote "Happy Battle of Bannockburn Day!" along with the date.  And he's not Scots, either.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
It was a great victory!

Man -- I hope I'm around for the seven-hundredth anniversary (2014).

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
Montréal Baroque festival in an appropriate Old Mtl setting: http://www.montrealbaroque.com  Several free conferences and a parade.  Definitely heading down there on the North-South bicycle path.

skdadl, you must make plans to go to Scotland for the 700th anniversary.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Re: summer outings and happenings
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:12 AM »
I had no idea the wingnuts were making claims like this, but it sounds as though Warner's article is bunk. Derrida, Foucault, et al. weren't "anti-science," and they weren't "relativists" either -- those are superficial labels stuck on them by moralizers (beware whenever you see "University of Chicago") who were too lazy or too unintelligent to read and think about their work.

The rightwingnuts have always tended to be moral absolutists, so pretending that they can use postmodern thought against science -- to "relativize" it -- is just a cynical manoeuvre, a kind of Rovian parody of the opposition's strengths, turned back and projected on them.

As the writer there says, few modern scientists have ever doubted the role that human subjectivity plays in all intellectual work. You can think about that in intelligent ways without turning it into Warner's nonsense. (Who is she, anyway -- does she have a track record?)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
I don't nuthin about Derrida, but this conv. made me think of Chesterton -

'science must not impose any philosophy, anymore than the telephone
must tell us what to say'  hee.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
I don't know about Warner; a Washington writer, not a science writer apparently, maybe just jumping on a bandwagon.  A narrative is being built up about activist climate scientists exaggerating the dangers of climate change and scheming to keep dissenters out of the peer-reviewed journals, etc.  They are accused of politicizing the science by the deniers who have really done the politicizing themselves; like when the Conservatives complain about our "activist" judges.

Then there is a scientist named Judith Curry who pushes for uncertainty and who poses as wanting to reconcile the two sides but in her blog she has ended up mostly hanging around with deniers and helping them smear the climate scientists. 

There was a "reconciliation" workshop in Lisbon which poured oil on the flames, whether by intent or ineptitude I do not know. At least one "post normal science" aficionado was there (don't ask me, I avoid theoretical philosophical musings, I think it's about risk assessment).  Deep Climate tells some of that story:
http://deepclimate.org/2011/02/07/post-normal-meltdown-in-lisbon-part-1/

Incidently, skdadl, Deep Climate is a Calgary man, and shewonk who has The Policy Lass blog is an Alberta woman.  Funny how these prairie folk keep popping up; there's a prairie girl student who has a climate blog as well; http://climatesight.org/ .
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
Yowzers! San Diego Fireworks go off all at once, 18 minutes condensed to 15 seconds. Some call it a fail, I think it's Awesome.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/07/05/fireworks-sandiego-go-off-all-at-once.html

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edna_St._Vincent_Millay
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:59:20 PM by Holly Stick »

Return To TAT