Author Topic: Hephaestion  (Read 2201 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Hephaestion
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
Many of us have been paying tribute to our old comrade Hephaestion, on other forums or in private. Heph had many old friends at BnR as well who may or may not post to other forums, so here is a space for their memories and tributes.

I remember three things best about Heph: his uncompromising commitment to the dignity and equality of all living beings; his fierce loyalty to people he'd come to consider friends, which led me to one of the wisest friends I've ever had m'self; and Nelson.

Heph and I first connected at babble because of Nelson, the Kootenay Valley, where he lived and which I think is one of the most blessed spots on earth. One Sunday morning after he first signed on at babble he posted photos of that wonderful place, and the deal was sealed. I was always glad for him (envious, really) that he was at home in the midst of such beauty and such wonderful people (as I know they are, and there's a thread at EM from a couple of years ago that tells of some of them).

It was very thoughtful of Heph's 3D friends to get in touch with his online community. That's something we all need to think of more -- it doesn't always happen, sadly.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
I've been reading people's comments, I read Heph's own thread re: his disability and illness. Funny it should end in June. I always read his posts and they always made me think twice; he didn't know it, but his posts educated me enormously and gave me a better language to discuss the issues so important to him. I didn't know him or have any personal exchanges online with him (at least I don't think I did) but still, his passing has effected me in my quiet moments. I'm thinking about him.

I've just opened a wee bottle of chardonnay to toast him and lit a white candle to honour him. RIP Heph.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
Heph and Reality Bites were two of my first buddies in these three forums (babble, EnMasse, BNR). I wish I had gone back to EnMasse more often than I have - just to read posts by those two. Now I can't even log in - my password don't work (I self-banned myself, guess my password was deactivated).

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
Boom Boom, as I recall, the EM mods said that anyone who had self-banned was welcome to go back. All you have to do is get a message through to them -- to Tehanu, maybe. Do you want me to ask her how you do that?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »
No, it was just a fanciful thought. Two forums are enough, and even two are sometimes a bit much, especially now with the renovations and gardening in full swing.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
:kiss: Yeah, I sure get that BB.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »
Did I mention the blackflies? :madgrin:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hephaestion
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »
Boom Boom, you should be able to log in to EM now. If you have problems, send an email to contactus@enmasse.ca and a mod will fix you up. Tehanu says that's an open invitation to anyone who self-banned -- just write to contactus (should have remembered that address on me own).

deBeauxOs

Hephaestion
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
Here is a link to the Memorial enMasse thread about Berto for those who want to read and remember him.  

Also - his posts, you can read many of his contributions that made the Rainbow Room such a dynamic thread.

Return To TAT