Author Topic: Journalists Seek Counseling (Pickton Trial)  (Read 3961 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Journalists Seek Counseling (Pickton Trial)
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
VANCOUVER Jurors who will begin hearing evidence today against a pig farmer accused of being Canada's worst serial killer have been warned by the judge to expect testimony "as bad as a horror movie."

Evidence has been so gruesome that some journalists covering the preliminary hearing have sought psychological counseling. During jury selection last month, Williams warned the potential jurors about what to expect.

Robert William Pickton is charged with the deaths of 26 women, mostly prostitutes and drug addicts who vanished from Vancouver's impoverished Downtown Eastside neighborhood in the 1990s.

He is accused of luring women to his family's 17-acre pig farm outside Vancouver, where investigators say he threw drunken raves with prostitutes and plenty of drugs. After his arrest in February 2002, health officials issued a tainted-meat advisory to neighbors who may have bought pork from his farm, concerned that it may have contained human remains.

link
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this ends in a mistrial. How many jurors would have the stamina to stay on a jury for a year, even in a more-or-less ordinary trial? Gruesome evidence makes it even more likely that some will drop out.

In the show Deadwood, murder victims frequently get fed to pigs. (In gold-rush days, the historical Deadwood averaged a murder a day, and that with a local population of not more than 25,000). The parallel with the Pickton farm never occurred to me until just now.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »
Debra, I was thinking about this complex trial and wondering if two or more threads could be started to discuss it in a critical manner, from various angles? For example, your original post could be the departure point in the Media forum, to focus on questions raised with regard to the quality of ongoing coverage.  

Certainly another thread in Life from a feminist view, to provide background as well as feminist analysis about the role of the criminal justice system in tacitly allowing so many women to be murdered before a thorough investigation was carried out.  I can imagine also that  the defense' strategy to disculpate the accused from any legal accountability could be sexist and degrading to his 'alleged' victims.

Edited to add link to new thread started.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:48:19 PM »
I've been thinking about this for days, in almost exactly the same terms as deBeauxOs has expressed, in addition to the RACISM angle (since I work a lot on Aboriginal cultural issues). I have seen stories from places far away, much more lurid, always about "Native Prostitutes", humans fed to pigs, and similar sensationalistic matter.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:50:01 PM »
I've been thinking along the same lines.

I'll move this to media.

And one of you open one in Life from a Feminist View.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:25:40 AM »
A year? Why must it take so long?

I remember the summer of the Bernardo trial (which can't have been more than a couple of months long?) -- journalists who sat through that, through all the videos, began to report personal problems, most predictably and understandably with their sexual desires and relationships.

Return To TAT