Author Topic: Fox News North: Quebecor & Teneycke  (Read 26088 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Re: Fox News North: Quebecor & Teneycke
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
Claim denied -- however CRTC is going to reevaluate their conditions. sigh....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/08/08/pol-crtc-sun-tv-news-ruling.html
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #302 on: September 22, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
I am actually somewhat torn on this issue.

On the one hand, I find literally nothing redeeming about Fox News or its ilk.  On the other, free speech is more important than my personal opinions about anything.  Blocking one media outlet because I dislike (everything) about them is a very dangerous and highly suspect position.

However, I also have a real issue with the whole concept of 'bundling' particular channels - essentially forcing many people to pay for something they might not want.  This is not health care, which is a human right.  This is television, and there is no good argument for forcing a shared cost model onto the many viewers who have no interest in a flagrantly biased right wing propaganda voice.

If the channel is available to people who choose to pay for it, that is fine with me.  If the channel is forced on people who don't want it, I don't like it.  I don't like any channels being forced on anyone.  Though when we are talking about TV, it is all optional so force is a funny sort of word to use.

My final point is that it is all becoming moot fairly quickly.  I haven't had cable of any sort in over a decade.  I haven't had television in about as long - all of our entertainment comes through the web (or from the library).  Few people I know pay for cable anymore, and the number shrinks every year.  The number of people under 40 in my circle who pay for that stuff is exactly zero. So in some ways this seems like a passionate debate over seating arrangements on the Titanic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:53:39 PM by arborman »
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 23, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
Doesn't the Sun argument carry over to satellite coverage as well?

Return To TAT