Author Topic: For Women, Social Media is More Than “Girl Talk”  (Read 1649 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
For Women, Social Media is More Than “Girl Talk”
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »
One reason for women’s interest in social media has to do with its   symbolic capital, and what it represents in our culture. As language   changes often signify underlying social change (think tutoiement   in the French Revolution), people adopting emerging forms of   communication like social media, are also embracing the consonant social   identities. Social media represents an identity that is modern,   connected, and a little bit daring. It’s an identity that is understood   to be comfortable with a certain amount of transparency, promotes   information, and has a global outlook, as technology crosses geographic   boundaries. It is participative in nature, and this opportunity to add   new layers to their identities is part of what makes social media so   attractive to women.

Article at Mashable
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: For Women, Social Media is More Than “Girl Talk”
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:29:48 PM »
This week, I was at an evening honouring "les militants et militantes" of my tenants' association. We were discussing how to better communicate with our membership. Not one person (male or female, educated or more traditional working-class) was into what the anglophone press named "social media".

In my day, "social media" would have meant trade union, feminist groups', tenants' association and other popular organisations bulletins, circulars and papers and the incipient community radio stations etc.

I certainly think the left should use internet-based media, but stuff like facebook has absolutely nothing to do with the shift in the way of seeing caused by or causing underlying social change.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:57:31 PM »
For the people who are really working it, I think that Twitter is having a startling effect on getting the news out -- just as an example I'd cite Steve Paikin's tweets from the Novotel kettle on the Saturday night of the G20 -- people heard about those fast, and they began to turn the focus of some reporting before the weekend was over. But if you follow any of the high-product tweeters -- Antonia would be an example -- you can see how useful their networks are to them, and then how useful they become to those of us who mainly just read.

Similar thing on Facebook if you watch, eg, Antonia. She produces so much and draws a huge field of commenters, most of whom wouldn't have made contact any other way. The organizing that goes on every once in a while becomes important -- CAPP, eg, is lasting as an organization, got the people out for the rally today. (I still haven't seen much news about the Toronto rally -- Sister Sage has a good report about Montreal up on her blog.)

Some hours ago, just btw, I saw a tweet from Antonia saying that she and Jericho were sitting in a parking lot in Kingston waiting for a torrential outburst to pass by. I should think she's in Montreal by now.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:35:17 AM »
She would be, as the outburst is over.

What I said was in no way to denigrate activists who concentrate on so-called "social media", much as I hate that term. It was to make sure we don't fall into the trap of confusing a potential organising tool - in this case, just as much a tool for the enemy - with on the ground organising.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
It is a tool of immediacy. And not one to be dismissed or ignored lightly. As media becomes more and more co opted by the "powers that be" and by the entertainment industry, social media is where the real news is coming from.

Social media gets out the word instantly when abuses such as occurred at the G20 are happening.

I quite like the term social media. It says to me that is a medium of the people.

There are of course still those without the wherewithal to possess the tools necessary to partake, however, this is true even of traditional organizing.

I was also taken in that article at the power and influence of women and the dearth of information about same.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »
Oh hey, I posted in the July thread about the drive. Pretty harrowing.

Last Sunday I wrote the Insight front on the power of Twitter through the G20, and it is Twitter that is driving the demand for an inquiry.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/834367--coverage-of-the-g20-proved-twitter-s-news-edge

I think Twitter is awesome.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT