Author Topic: And now for a little TMI  (Read 16944 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: And now for a little TMI
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
Make sure you tell her that you are very *flexible* therefore placed on the cancel list. Women who are the sole providers or working f/t cannot be flexible and therefore plan the time off for recovery etc. But there are cancellations that cannot be helped, you being flexible may get you in sooner.

Yes, great advice. Every contact you have, remind her/them that you are flexible. There are cancellations, and surgeons swap time sometimes for other reasons.

I had a feeling at the time that my surgeon was bumping me up because she had an intuition about the malignancy -- that's the main reason I said yes to the removal of the whole works after a weekend thinking about it -- she had an intuition; I had an intuition about her; we were both right.

sparks: they lost your file! Sheesh.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

sparks: they lost your file! Sheesh.

Yeah, that was bad. Truth be told, I wrangled an appointment without a referral. I was new in town and I deduced that I had had a miscarriage. Looked up GYN in the phone book and picked one that was within walking distance. That might be why my file got lost - they might have been trying to send it to the referring GP.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
 :hug  Oh, Debra.
Another vote for the tell them you're flexible option. It's information overload, for sure, but there are so many unknowns that sometimes docs want to cover their asses in case of possible or imagined complications. Sometimes it's best to be non-specific; maybe too much info is like having not enough??

My two closest friends have had and will have a hysterectomy. Both of them for mega-bleeding issues (one of them fibroids, the other we don't know yet, but probably the same as she has already been screened for a few kinds of cancer.) My friend who had the hystero nearly two years ago was bleeding for months and months, and her GP didn't even do anything beyond up her dose of iron and tell her to "take it easy". I was frantic on her behalf; I had armchair-diagnosed her with fibroids and told her to persuade her doc to refer her for an ultrasound, which she never did. She merely palpated from the outside and said her uterus felt fine. Yeah right. Most GPs wouldn't recognise a uterus by palpation; and hers was weighing close to three pounds by that point. Doc totally missed it and was too arrogant and uncaring to write a paper for an ultrasound.

The doc finally went on vacation, and while she was away, my friend ended up in emerg due to the bleeding, but only got her "emergency" hystero three months later. Sigh. Surgery went well, and her recovery was long only because she has fibromyalgia and because she had been extremely weakened by the nearly constant bleeding for a year or more.

I was raring to initiate legal proceedings against her doc, if my friend had been willing, since we also found out that the same doc had put her on a 10X overdose of Effexor (discovered by the pharmacist when she decided to stop taking it prior to the surgery). She hasn't quite been the same since that medical episode; she lost a lot of her fighting spirit.

As for the friend who has an upcoming hystero, she could have had it sooner but wants to plan for time off work. However, from the symptoms she describes, I would've wanted it yesterday.  :confused

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
It's true that the downside of informed consent is that you hear the worst, sometimes things you weren't even thinking about yourself.

Every time the vet, eg (heh heh, brebis noire), puts that form in front of me, the form that basically says "In the course of cleaning Fluffy's teeth, we may kill her, and you understand and accept that, right?" I have a really srs hesitation.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »
Effexor is what doc wants to put me on after the first month. Says it helps, but I dunno.... Not big on drugs....

Your friends situation sounds crazy! A complaint seems in order at the least.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:33:37 PM by Debra »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 01:55:05 PM »
Surgery date has been confirmed for August 25th. I am so scared :hides

I'll get Mike to log on when he can to update youse gyus on that day.

waaaaaa!!
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »
The best of luck to you!  :hug
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
That is a surprise, Debra -- something lit a fire under them to move it so far forward. At least from that pov, good going.

It's so hard to wait, I know; it can't really be otherwise, but at least now you know. What can I say -- vent here, or sometimes see whether you can't go numb some of the time, just to keep your mind calm. I wish I knew better advice.

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »
I hope it goes smoothly, Debra. The waiting is nerve wracking for sure.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »
best of luck, there, debra ... you are valued and needed.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »
It's going to be just fine Debra, your the liddle engine that does!
How'd you get the date moved up? I will bring  :cookie and  :flowers if you want visitors. What hospital?

oops...thought we were someplace else.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:02:10 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
I understand your worry, Debra (I'm horrible about medical stuff) but actually that is very good news in terms of outcomes.

Perhaps some other tech gods (NOT me) can help out? :hug
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Hugs...

Surgery is always scary. You feel helpless and as if you're going to go into an abyss from which you will never come out. I know I am avoidng it. But ...

If I understand things correctly, the (Ahem) Hospital there is probably the best place to be. It's not so big that it's a machine, they work in coordination there, and it's a teaching hospital. I have heard nothing but great things.

The only question I have is, is there a reason, a specific reason, for the change of date?
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
 :hug Debra...will send healing thoughts your way...medical interventiion is scary and not very fun.

Fwiw, the handful of,people I know who have had surgery there have bounced back quickly, and seem happy (after the fact) they went through it.

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
Antonia, you are so correct. McMaster's has a fantastic reputation. They were the first medical institution to recognize that a human face aka a friendly and supportive bedside manner was a critical element to medical training.

Return To TAT