Author Topic: Toronto and Ford ....  (Read 12105 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Toronto and Ford ....
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
Thanks Magoo.

It really is dangerous. A couple of drivers have practically run me down (as I was walking, not even cycling) while yakking on their cells. One guy seemed to be in a heated argument with his spouse.

I think it is illegal to do that while cycling, what about walking? I very often see pedestrians now crossing streets while phoning or texting, without even looking.

I confess I've also been in a car and my friend, the driver, started to answer her phone. She was in a very stressful situation. I really don't know how to react - since I don't drive, I'd feel sanctimonious lecturing about it, but she is the type of person who really should know better.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
I constantly see drivers talking on their cellphones or texting.  Often they pass right by cops.  You'd think it would be like shooting fish in a barrel, but I've yet to see even one of these idjits pulled over.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
I was almost killed in May 2001 by a driver in Washington DC who drove through a red light while yakking away on his cell phone, completely oblivious to the fact he ran a red. I was walking across on a green. He missed me by six inches. I still have nightmares about it.

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
Fake election shenanigans in Cotler's Mont Royal riding.

Kady reports a pushpoll about a non-existent by-election from marketing firm Campaign Research.

And if you are wondering what this is doing in the Rob Ford thread, just click the company link.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
Another Rod Ford trope, in addition to the cellphone driving: the series of 911 calls to Rob Ford's home - and subsequent retractions or "confusion" - continues.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1108648--911-calls-to-ford-s-home-a-sensitive-issue?bn=1

quote:

"Early Christmas morning, police were called to the home of Mayor Rob Ford about a reported domestic dispute. It was the second such call in as many months.

On Oct. 25, less than 15 hours after Ford himself called 911 regarding the intrusion of the comedy show This Hour has 22 Minutes on his property, officers from 22 Division were back at the Etobicoke residence on a domestic call.

On Christmas, Ford’s mother-in-law called police between 4 and 5 a.m. to report that the mayor had been drinking and was taking his children to Florida against the wishes of his wife, Renata." (...)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
The denigration of Renata has already started. She's 'irrational' according to Ford, yet he was charged.  ::)  I wonder if he'll even finish out his term.

In March 2008, Ford, then still a councillor, called 911 after a conflict with Renata. Ford said she was acting “irrational.” He left their home with the couple’s children. Police later charged him with assault and uttering a death threat. Both charges were dropped two months later due to inconsistencies in Renata’s story.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
I just hope he doesn't kill her. He really does seem to be out of control.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
Ohhiya, bit of a hangover from the Henkel, but hair on the dog set me straight. Guest left a bit ago. So my first post in the new year of 2012, and I'll start with the Sun's JOe Warmington telling us it was all a terrible mistake, the whole story was just wrong, wrong, wrong cuz brother Ford sez so....LOL. I don't know why Warmington even bothered to put his name on the story, it should have just been signed, Yours Truly, Doug Ford.   http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/30/ford-says-911-caller-had-story-wrong

In fact, a source close to the investigation told me that while alcohol was an issue none was consumed by the mayor. “You think (the Toronto Police) would have let him leave with his children if he had been drinking?” said the source. “No way.”The source said the mayor was interviewed, as was the caller to 911 and his wife and it was “decided it would be best that he and the kids to continue on with their family vacation.”Ford’s wife, who had a plane ticket but expressed being “uncomfortable with travelling,” opted to stay at home, said the source.
“It was blown out of proportion,” said Doug. “There was minor disagreement and some misunderstandings but it’s fine now.”

So according to Doug, it was Renata who was drinking (or even the MIL), not brother Rob. Poor Renata, I'd be a raging binger if I was in her shoes, funny tho, it's his face that looks like the binger in the photograph. Cuz on New Years Eve, she looked beautiful. According to Doug 'It seems like regular family stuff to me.'

Fact - MIL called 911 for a reason.
Fact - Say hello to your 'new' Children's Aid worker Mr. Ford, new 911 call means a new file, a new investigation. I wonder if they send a 'superintendant type CAS employee' or just the next worker who's up for the next call?
Fact - Rob Ford took his kids to Florida and left their mother at home alone on Xmas Day.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:01:46 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
Well, Ford sure does look beery, but that is no proof - certain types of complexions can look beery with no excess of anything.

I thank the goddess I'm not Renata. Whatever the reason, he seems out of control.

Fern had a good piece on this in Dammit Janet:  http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/2011/12/rob-fucking-ford-strange-man-strange.html
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
Yeah your right Lagatta, after all he IS wearing a black t-shirt in the pool.  Thanks for DJ's link, I had no idea........but hells bells he is the MAYOR OF FUCKING TORONTO! and he left Renata at home alone, I just can't fathom that. That is a sick household.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »
I'm trying to imagine how much more of a nightmare Ontario would have if Hudak had won the Ontario election - imagine the triumvirate of Harper, Ford and Hudak. As much as I dislike McGuinty, probably a good idea to keep him in to keep Hudak out.  :o

ETA: I think one reason Ford looks pissed off all the time is because he has to deal with a Liberal provincial government, instead of one led by that prick (and probably Ford's hero) Hudak.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:04:48 AM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
The dysfunctional family saga continues. The Star notes Rob Ford's sister's x-boyfriend (or current, we dunno) is charged with a 'breach of security'. The article mentions 'death threats'.  http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhallpolitics/article/1113981#article

The right wingers went freakazoid on the Star and CBC publishing Ford's address and that's WHY he's receiving death threats  :o  When it was learned it was a member of the family they all went quiet. But here's where it gets interesting, the Natty post gives us more details. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/police-at-rob-fords-home-after-breach-of-security/

It was a 'neighbour' who called the cops, Rob Ford hisself said there was NO death threat.

“The whole thing was over pretty quickly,” the mayor said, noting his life had not been threatened. “He took off and that was it.”Councillor Ford said nobody was in danger at any point.
Here's the part my cynical mind finds interesting. Rob's brother Doug (this is a soap, if you don't know the names try n keep up) wants security detail for Rob.
Councillor Ford said his brother should look at adopting a security detail, while Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday has told the Mayor he should consider getting a driver with security experience, possibly a former policeman.
So Toronto taxpayers are suppose to cough up the costs of a bodyguard/driver/plus car for this guy. Hey I don't want anything to happen to him or his family, but this seems a tad amateurish to say the least for a *maybe staged event*.  And the other member of the family who showed up in his red Chev with the personalized license plate FORD was in 'no mood to talk' is the added bonus. Hee. P.S. Rob and Doug want to cut the fat around their own waistlines. And to that I say Kudos Good Luck I May Even Join You! No news whether Ford's sister's X MacIntrye or Ford brother's sister Kathy will join. http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/rob-and-doug-ford-to-launch-public-weight-loss-campaign-invite-toronto-to-join-in/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:41:28 PM by Toedancer »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
Yes, I passed the weight loss story on to a Toronto cycling blogger (a responsible person who is not the type to make cheap fat jokes). On the contrary, Rob and Doug McKenzie Ford would stand to benefit from low-impact sessions on a good, sturdy, urban bicycle...

Road to Damascus?
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
  Just got this from a friend: City Council Reverses Many Key Ford Cuts

excerpt:

In a stunning loss for Mayor Rob Ford and his allies, in one of debate councillors have reversed a significant raft of cuts he was pushing to include in the 2012 budget. Among them: closures of shelters, daycare spaces, and pools, cuts to community grants (to fund things like HIV-prevention services), a major cut to the library system, and a major cut to the TTC. Not all of those cuts were fought back: the library budget is still scaling back on staff and collections, and perhaps most prominently the TTC will still need to reduce service on three dozen bus routes, but the full force of the original draft budget has been substantially blunted.

ETA: Just sw elsewhere it's only $15million in cuts averted - peanuts for a big city budget like Toronto.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:34:15 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Hmm, Rob Ford not stopping for a streetcar with its doors open, then complaining to the TTC about the driver "having words with him"...

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1219300--mayor-rob-ford-didn-t-stop-for-open-streetcar-door-ttc-union-says

Never ends, does it?
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT