Author Topic: This is a sport????  (Read 1611 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
This is a sport????
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
Ontario has approved Mixed Martial Arts for public consumption.
The Canadian Medical Association is ....less than excited about the idea: the Canadian Medical Association annual conference in Niagara Falls   endorsed a resolution calling on provincial governments to ban   professional MMA.

As for me, I agree with Charles Pierce who speaks of this 'sport' thus:
I wouldn't walk across the street to see this UFC extravaganza at the   Garden on Saturday. I wouldn't go if you gave me tickets. I wouldn't   take a free luxury box if it came equipped with a seven-course banquet,   an open bar, and entertainment that looked like the last reel of Caligula.   The whole thing is coarse, savage, and says things about the popular   culture that I'd rather not know, thanks. Whoever called it cockfighting   was being insulting to farm animals, or speaking metaphorically. I'd   just as soon not guess which.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: This is a sport????
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
Pierce is indeed a very fine writer, Croggy.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to McGuinty's defeat at the next election. I would do just about anything (legal) to get that bastard out of office.

Return To TAT