Author Topic: Cyberstalking  (Read 1312 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Cyberstalking
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
Interesting article at the Guardian on cyberstalking.

... Compounding this, in the online space there remains confusion over   activities that would seem creepy when transposed to in the real world.   People need to start making that comparison before they do something   they might regret, says Dr Emma Short, a psychologist at the University   of Bedfordshire, who today is launching one of the largest ever research   projects into cyberstalking. "Quite a lot of people think it is   acceptable to post compromising photographs of their exes online, yet   they wouldn't dream of photocopying the pictures and posting them on   their door," she says.

"My research has shown that everybody has   an idea of the rules of the internet, but the problem is that everyone's   idea is slightly different. I gave a lecture recently where one girl   said that she was considering calling the police because her   ex-boyfriend had posted graphic photos of her on Facebook, and then   another student said she had just split up with her boyfriend and had   done the exact same thing. She said it was fine because 'he had it   coming'."

Statistics from Sheridan show that just 4% of stalking   victims are harassed online only. More often, stalkers use the internet   as another weapon in their armoury. Sarah Jones, 38, was harassed by a   work colleague who began by making inappropriate comments in the office.   "'Your hair looks nice, but I preferred it longer' – that sort of   thing. Things that on their own don't mean too much, but when added   together revealed a disturbing pattern of behaviour," she says.

After   Jones complained to HR, her stalker started threatening to kill her in   emails, calling her a "bitch" and a "whore", and revealing that he had   found out personal details about herself and her family. Sometimes the   threats were written in Latin – it is a common tactic of cyberstalkers   to use a foreign language, she has since discovered. She eventually   reported him to the police and he pleaded guilty to harassment after   telling police he had a plan to break into her house, rape and kill her   and then kill himself. He was given a nine-month jail sentence. Since   his release, Jones has received a number of silent phone calls. They   were traced to phone boxes near his parents' house, but there wasn't   enough evidence to prove he was responsible.
A number of different kinds of situations, some just nasty harassment but some quite scary.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:43:28 AM by skdadl »

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Cyberstalking
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »
They never say if the CYBERstalking leads to actual physical stalking. By calling the stalkers 'the faceless cowards' the Guardian seems to imply that actual confrontation is something that is avoided.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
Well, in a couple of those cases, including one I quoted, the cyberstalking seemed to be just part of some real-life stalking, and that one sounds to me like a real threat.

The straight cyberstalking, though -- I think the threatening idea is the point. Or just the harassment. It's hard to tell. I mean, do you want nudie pics of you posted online by an ex? (Ok, Croggy: don't answer that question.  ;)  ) Or rumours about your pedophiliac tendencies?

Every once in a while there'll be a round of attempts to out someone (as in publish personal info, address, family details, etc) in an online community -- it has happened to PBers who become targets of one or another of the deranged Blogging Tories, eg. I've had at least one creep try that on me for a couple of years, and if it's mostly silly, it's still creepy, especially when they know where you live and you know they know. But yes, I think that's the point -- to make you miserable.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »
it has happened to PBers who become targets of one or another of the deranged Blogging Tories,

I recall that one ... (the venerable) Dawg had some harsh, and as always well written, words for the 'outer'

I was just wondering if cyberstalking leads to the physical deed of stalking. That, I believe is all sorts of illegal and allows for police involvement. Is there any recourse for someone on cyberland?

Perhaps Christine O'Donnell is wiser than it seems .... she openly spoke of 'dating someone who was a witch' well before it was 'leaked' - with all the implications of a cover-up that would entail.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT