Author Topic: Trapped Chilean miners  (Read 9832 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Trapped Chilean miners
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear that; there will be squabbles afterwards as some become media stars, but this should ensure enough for all of them to live comfortably. I certainly hope the 63-year-old man (is that Mario Gomez) who has miner's lung, won't have to work again. I don't think "not working anymore" would be healthy for the young and young-middle-aged men, but perhaps they can do other kinds of work, and in any case have some security. Remember that some miners are very attached to their dangerous jobs (Croghan has spoken of this in past).

And that the bigamists will be able to properly support all their children!!!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
And that the bigamists will be able to properly support all their children!!!

During the rescues, CBC reported that the 'lover' of one of the miners was there to see him rescued, while his wife refused to show up. How in the world does the media get hold of these intimate details??? :annoyed

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
I think it was the Guardian that told us that the miner concerned had separated from his wife but had told her he lived alone. But then when the camp was set up during the watch, both women showed up.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
Remember that some miners are very attached to their dangerous jobs (Croghan has spoken of this in past).

Gord knows, not me - but I have known miners that have walked out of some mines, saying they are too dangerous to work in, and that indeed, all mining is too dangerous.

But miners, like sailors, who Must go down the the sea in ships, will return again and again.

Rita MacNeil catches it when singing about It's A Working Man I Am.... 'I'll never again go down underground' is more a distant wish than a decision. I have worked with a survivor from one of the Springhill 'bumps' - they too swore never to return ... but return they did.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
Behind every fit and hearty miner trapped inside the earth, there's a woman planning the meals.
  :applause  Brava!

(I'm really getting into the Star, it's a huge improvement on the Globe.)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
The Star has an odd "don't miss" popup that I can't get rid of and it blocks out part of the article.  Not optimized for Firefox 2.x?

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »
no popups for me, but my blocker is overenthusiastic about blocking.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I loved that article, brebis. Amelia Pons is a model of professionalism, in that small-town hospital.  Oh, I'm sure the miners will indulge in an asado and some strong red local vino as soon as they get the clear, but she is absolutely right. We had to be very careful how we refed our starved pussycats!

Here is a short article by John Pilger, "Chile's ghosts are not being rescued", with a good summary of the backstory - and the Piñera family's role in privatising mines and repression of trade unions. http://www.europe-solidaire.org/spip.php?article18775
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Here is a short article by John Pilger, "Chile's ghosts are not being rescued", with a good summary of the backstory - and the Piñera family's role in privatising mines and repression of trade unions. http://www.europe-solidaire.org/spip.php?article18775

Good article - I've read Pilger in The Guardian often.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »
What the TV show didn't tell us/That the “saviours” were, in fact, the  culprits.

Jeeze the miners didn't want to go down, they heard strange noises 3 hours before having to go.  Piñera and Sarkozy, admirers of each other, so perverse.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT