Author Topic: Smashed fingernail  (Read 4067 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Smashed fingernail
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »
This past July, while opening a window, I crushed my fingernail between two window frames. Yes, it hurt. I got the black fingernail, which I've been living with quite well over the past few months, but now the inevitable is happening: it is starting to pull off. The new nail is growing underneath. It doesn't hurt per se, but I am just dreading the moment when I catch it on something and the quick gets exposed. I'm trimming it regularly from the bottom and just trying to let it come off slowly, all the while serving as a bandaid.

Anybody dealt with this problem? Should I just have at it and pull it off? Any pain associated with that operation? I'm a major-league weenie.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Smashed fingernail
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
Which finger is it, if you don't mind my asking? Some fingers do more dangerous work than others, or at least some of mine get used more than others.

I wouldn't pull it off -- trimming closely is important -- but what do I know. I had something like this happen to a toe once, and I just let it go on quietly, but then toes can be protected in shoes. At one point I got quite worried because I seemed to lose all sensation in the toe, so I thought it had died, but it came back slowly, as did the new nail. Fingernails and toenails are a marvellous phenom.

It might be that if you exposed the quick, you'd go through that period of losing sensation. But the nail will come back, as you can already see.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
Middle finger of my left hand. My unluckiest finger. 15 yrs ago I jumped/fell off a chairlift and broke the tip, since then it's been crooked. 10 yrs ago it got trapped in a cow's mouth while I was attempting to pull a tooth; this was intensely painful and resulted in a tetanus shot.
But this incident is the worst and ugliest incident of the three. I just hope I don't end up chopping it off at some point.  :o
It's a very underused finger, but always manages to be in the wrong place at the very wrong time.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
Well, since it's not an essential finger, what about doing an on-and-off thing with a band-aid? I don't believe in permanently covering damaged parts -- air is good -- but you could wrap it up for some of each day when you think it might be vulnerable to unthinking movement. It would be like a little shoe for your finger.

ETA: What is your position on hydrogen peroxide? I have been a fan since I was a little kid and my mother used it on my ear when I got an infected (maybe broken) eardrum -- man, I got addicted to that fizz. I used to beg her to pour it in there. I still enjoy watching the fizz. I see from the wiki, though, that there are new studies suggesting it may inhibit cell growth.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:13:47 PM by skdadl »

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »
croghie's bed is a dangerous place.

Whilst (ex)wifie and I were off touring Europe ...somehow, and I have never found out how, our water bed got itself destroyed. Our 18 year old and 16 year old sons were in charge of the roost - with the frequent aid of some friends.

So - I had to buy a newbie.

The newbie, unlike the oldbie did not have the bookcase as part of the headboard - it merely rested upon the sides of the structure.

About 2:00AM one morning, while sleeping I found that my head was propped against this bookcase structure. So I reached back to slide down so my neck would not be so bent.

Down came the structure upon my pointy finger of my left hand - it hit the last joint and broke the vile thing.  :annoyed

Ever since I have had a large lump on that joint that occasionally I have to go to a hospital to have the gunk that forms there scraped off. (Quite a sight and horrid sound.) The nail is also as thick as a toe nail.

Sound asleep, in my bed I managed to break a finger .... you never know where danger lurks.  :o
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
I would protect it with a breathable bandage. And let the old one fall off naturally.ààI did that with a badly stubbed toenail. It worked out fine.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
Ouch! I would try Antonia's suggestion w/the breathable bandage. Definitely let it fall off on its own, if you can wait. I have been there on a few occasions, with both finger- & toe-nail injuries. I'm the most accident-prone human bean there ever waz.

Croghie, it's amazing you managed to break your hand whilst sleeping!  Mr. Kitty once broke his collar bone playing cards (one of those flimsy card-table chairs from the 60s + concrete basement floor... :)) )

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »
My bed has a shelf as part of its headboard, open in the middle, with sliding doors at either end.  One night I gradually dozed off, then jolted awake, convinced someone was in the room, so I punched out and hit the shelf.  No bones broken, just a sore hand for a few days.  I hate getting waked up like that, usually it's a noise from the neighbours, shutting a door or something.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT