Author Topic: Gas  (Read 1966 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Gas
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
No, silly -- not that kind.

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, and it's a semi-idle question, but my brief exchange with Antonia made me wonder.

At my last place, I had a gas range as well as furnace and, I guess, water heater. Here I am stuck with an electric stove I hate, but furnace and, I guess, water heater, run on gas.

I have the same dealer here I did in TO. My bill there was huge, I thought; here, it is comparatively teensy. I'd have to backtrack through bills to figure out the comparison, but I think I'm paying about a third of what I used to pay.

Did the stove really cost all that much? I mean, I do most of my cooking on the stovetop; oven meals are rare (although I'm just about to do one). These days I get my gas bill and just kind of smirk at it.

Other idle question is how difficult it will be to make a gas connection into the kitchen for a gas range. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing there isn't one at teh moment.

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Gas
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:21:23 PM »
Normally a cooking range shouldn't be a very important factor in the energy consumption of a single person or couple. Furnace, water heater and dryer are all much more costly in terms of use.

Unless you've started up a bakery or something...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:21:53 PM »
I'd be looking more at your old furnace than your old stove as the cause of the high bills.  Age of a furnace, size of a house, and the insulative properties of walls and roofs can all help burn up NG.

Regarding the gas range, a gasfitter should be able to do the job in an afternoon, and I wouldn't think it should cost too too much (not much more than a plumber, eg.) unless your kitchen is far from the core of the house.  Usually kitchens, bathrooms and basement things (washer, furnace, water heater) tend to cluster around things like the vent stack or the flue.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »
Well, my best low-tech description is that the stove is pretty much above the water heater, but the furnace is on the other side of the house, not that the house is all that big.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
not that the house is all that big.

Smaller than your old one. Probably tighter and probably a newer, more efficient furnace. All of that would contribute to a lower gas bill.

Return To TAT