Author Topic: German efforts to prevent Iraq invasion revealed  (Read 1402 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
German efforts to prevent Iraq invasion revealed
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
I came across this story while looking at Wikileaks stuff at spiegel.de . It concerns revelations from previously classified information, but as it is not part of the leaks I'm putting it here. (though of course wikileaks on this subject could emerge). I chose Middle East because Iraq has borne the high cost of this foolish decision, though of course it also concerns Europe and the US.

A classified document obtained by SPIEGEL shows notes from a meeting between a top German diplomat and Condoleezza Rice just weeks before the Iraq invasion. It indicates steps by the German government to prevent the war and undermines claims in George W. Bush's memoir that Gerhard Schröder indicated he would support the president should the US go to war.

quote:
Gerhard Schröder and Joschka Fischer made every effort they could. The German chancellor and foreign minister spared no effort with their appeals, whether in public or private, in small groups or with the eyes of the entire world upon them. In the end, though, it was all for naught. Then-United States President George W. Bush wouldn't allow anyone to change his mind. He was dead set on launching a war against Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein and thereby bringing "freedom," as he put it, to the Middle East. It was a freedom that Bush described as " God's gift to mankind."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,730979,00.html

(by the way, the quote and url buttons are not working for me)...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: German efforts to prevent Iraq invasion revealed
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:48:06 AM »
Yes -- Canada was just so lucky that neither Harper nor Ignatieff was PM at the time. One thing that can be said to Chretien's credit is that he has a spine and he also has a genuine sense of the Canadian people, which Iggy doesn't have. Harper probably does too but doesn't care.

We did, of course, have officers joining in the invasion because of our exchange programs with the U.S. military. One of them is now CDS. Chretien wasn't above hiding facts like that.

Return To TAT