Author Topic: Birthing at home in Northern Communities: It takes a village  (Read 1566 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Birthing at home in Northern Communities: It takes a village
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »
An in-depth story about efforts to improve infant and maternal survival rates among Indigenous communities in the Far North. This story centres most on Inuit communities in Nunavik (Northern Quebec), and also touches on Inuit communities in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.

quote:
This  year, Prime Minister Stephen Harper committed $1.1 billion to reduce  maternal and infant mortality rates around the world. Meanwhile, Inuit  babies are about three times more likely to die during their first year  of life than non-Inuit babies.
Some are asking why Canada  is not playing a greater role in improving dismal conditions in  Canada's North. During my work on the fellowship,
I  travelled to Northern Quebec where I found a community-inspired  revolution in maternity care that has the potential to change  health-care delivery in remote regions of the North.
So why isn't Canada taking it on? It's a question at the heart of this series.

Read more:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Birthing+home+takes+village/3933462/story.html#ixzz17LvTB3yQ
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

Birthing at home in Northern Communities: It takes a village
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
Good link lagatta. 

The Ottawa Citizen publishes odious Xtian peckerwoods like David Warren but it also has on staff strong feminists like Kate Heartfield and now, Elizabeth Payne, writing there.

That's a series I'd follow & promote at DJ!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:16:34 PM by deBeauxOs »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Birthing at home in Northern Communities: It takes a village
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »
 :applause Thanks!
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT