Author Topic: Election 2011?  (Read 94574 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Election 2011?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »
Hmm, thought it was only in middle age that we might take bulges for curves. Usually teenagers do the opposite ("Oh, I'm so FAAAAAT" - wanting to slap teen who pinches a bit of imaginary lipid)...

It was a very strange comment. Iggy is the lean and hungry one, after all.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
Well, the three of us were thinking we couldn't quite be sure what kind of bulge Ivison was talking about, if you see what I mean.   :groucho

I wonder if he saw the references to his name.

ETA: Oh, and in the very next sentence, there was a reference to "touching the Conservatives." That broke me up. It makes you wonder what Ivison was, um, into at the time he was writing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:08:23 AM by skdadl »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
Yep. We also need Mae West in on that one. Especially with the cleavage and all.

My riding will go Bloc in any event.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
My riding will go Bloc in any event.

My riding (Manicouagan) will remain BQ.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 02:47:15 AM »
Oh, yes!  Bring it on!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »
No poison pill in budget, no need for an election says Harper

Yeah, and that is what he said in January of 2007, almost to a T. I don't believe him, but I also don't believe in Iggy's 2 reasons to bring down the gob, which are: the Tories are proceeding with two items he   cannot support: phased-in corporate tax breaks and the controversial   purchase of pricey stealth fighter jets. And I don't believe him either.

Harper says - “It’s not a matter of draconian cuts but it will be a matter of discipline over some period of time.”  That would be OUR discipline not the gobs. He said - "We’re not going to be slashing health care and education and some of things that were done in the past.” were done in the past, NO, you did in the past, he never says things WE'VE DONE in the Past, because 'were done' sounds like anybody could have done it eh.

Harper then goes on to say - “The real concern for us lies outside the [country’s] borders. The   performance of the U.S. economy. The problems in Europe. These are the   really big storm clouds we have to worry about.”

No shit sherlock, that's one big factor, in fact look at what the European Union is doing.
They decided to bring to life an (UNLIMITED) 'emergency fund' to SAVE the euro!

He continued - “Obviously, we’ve got to make sure our spending is in priority areas and   it’s not growing and if we do that in the next few years, we should see   enough economic growth to close that deficit gap,” he said.

But that hasn't stopped him from the new DND bldg that pogge has blogged with DAYCARE  :o   And he wants CPP privatized
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/908966--backlash-grows-against-flaherty-s-pension-proposal?bn=1] nor will it stop him from making sure the Canada Health Act is also Privatized. It's Past time the feds scrapped the Canada Health Act, 1997 Hedy Fry Dec. 14/2010

This is an ideological movement, not a political party and they have every intention of making sure there is an election in 2011, but what will change? So far only the NDP have come out and said they want electoral reform and democratic reform, other than that very reason I see no reason for an election whatsoever. The Liberals have a reason list on their website and omg, what they left out is awesome. Why tf is Paradis still even in gob for instance? He should have been fired long ago. There can be no debate without reform, there can be no election without reform.

If you really want an election, please tell me why you even see that as a positive change for Canada, let alone it's struggling people, who by the looks of it won't even have a CPP that is at least secured, or a Universal Health Act that needs reform but not gone? I honestly don't understand this.

Oh, I should also add, I think the budget is going to be more than draconian, I think it should scare the shit out of every Canadian, it's going to be worse than bad. If it's positively scarey shit, and no party can support it, we're going to see an election. If that happens and the Cons win another minority, w/o the majority of Canadians, then we'll see this country go down. What to do?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:03:47 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 09:29:30 PM »
 :applause Toe. We are truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. Harper is a dead-in-the-eyes prick and Ignatieff is an arrogant, incompetent old fool.

Layton may be the most likable of the three but too many Canadians dislike the NDP and the party itself has become incapable of putting out consistent and meaningful messaging. Given the disastrous changes that await us at the hands of Harper even with a minority, the NDP piddles around with platform announcement like abolishing ATM fees or giving tax rebates for heating oil.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »
I think the problem with Jack is that he never stopped thinking like a municipal politician, and he probably has some pretty unimaginative advisers. I've seen flashes of something more from Olivia, but for whatever reason, that isn't being passed on. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes -- there must be a competition already begun. It's a shame the party poo-bahs wouldn't countenance a Libby, but we all know they won't.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 12:28:56 AM »
I also don't believe in Iggy's 2 reasons to bring down the gob

I think that was a trial balloon as much as anything. He doesn't know what the budget will actually contain. Neither do we which would allow him to hedge when the time comes and say that he thought it would be worse. But I think they wanted to see what kind of reception they'd get if they started talking election knowing that if it's not popular they can drop it again. By the time parliament reconvenes after the winter break something else will be in the news unless they keep feeding the story. The Conservatives are going to say what they're going to say anyway: Scary coalition! Run for your lives!

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 12:33:19 AM »
I think the problem with Jack is that he never stopped thinking like a municipal politician
Not entirely a bad thing. Imagine Layton in a context where prop rep is a reality and the political culture is receptive to the  idea of coalition government. But that isn't what federal politics are like right now.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »
I think the problem with Jack is that he never stopped thinking like a municipal politician
Not entirely a bad thing. Imagine Layton in a context where prop rep is a reality and the political culture is receptive to the  idea of coalition government. But that isn't what federal politics are like right now.

Sorry, pogge, I'm really tired right now and I don't get what you're getting at with your statement.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
I'd like to hear you repeat that, pogge, the next time you get one of those chirpy robocalls from Jack. ;)

His chirpiness really does put me off a bit. His tweets are chirpy too. Why can't he get a bit of, oh, I don't know ... edge?

pogge

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
Sorry, pogge, I'm really tired right now and I don't get what you're getting at with your statement.
An environment that rewarded the ability and willingness to reach across party lines and build coalitions around issues would play to Layton's experience and strengths. I think he'd thrive in a context like that. But the hyper-partisan, party-first, political culture in Ottawa is the opposite.

And he can put his robo-caller where the sun don't shine.

Return To TAT