Author Topic: Election 2011?  (Read 95983 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
Re: Election 2011?
« Reply #780 on: May 07, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
Most of what I know about the NDP platform is that it's already in line with what Quebeckers who are not Tory MPs or leaders in the business world already assume is normal for a society to adopt.
People were casting around for a place to put their vote this time around because the Bloc had become a big yawn with nothing new to propose. And they found in Jack Layton someone who reflected their aspirations and points of view. But the basic fact is that it was another protest vote against both the Conservatives and the Liberals, but for different reasons.
Still, I never would've guessed it - not even when the polls showed it was happening. A few people have told me this was the first elections where they based their vote on the polls.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 09, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »
More on Roméo Saganash by Pierre Foglia, as well as the dire poverty in one Algonquin village (Saganash is Cree - there are several Indigenous nations in his huge riding). http://www.cyberpresse.ca/chroniqueurs/pierre-foglia/201105/07/01-4397151-un-beau-monsieur.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B13b_pierre-foglia_3264_section_POS1

There is a record number of Aboriginal MPs - one of them is Jonathan Genest-Jourdain, who is Boom Boom's new MP, in Manicouagan.

Here is another article on Aboriginal candidates in Qc, from CBC Montreal:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/04/27/aboriginal-voters-and-candidates-in-quebec.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:52:07 AM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »
Most of what I know about the NDP platform is that it's already in line with what Quebeckers who are not Tory MPs or leaders in the business world already assume is normal for a society to adopt.
People were casting around for a place to put their vote this time around because the Bloc had become a big yawn with nothing new to propose. And they found in Jack Layton someone who reflected their aspirations and points of view. But the basic fact is that it was another protest vote against both the Conservatives and the Liberals, but for different reasons.
Still, I never would've guessed it - not even when the polls showed it was happening. A few people have told me this was the first elections where they based their vote on the polls.

I see I am going to have to do something about this computer .. I just lost a rather lengthy reply to you ....  :mad2

Here is a Paul Wells article from macleans ... it shows how the NDP was positioned to take advantage of the fall of the Bloc. As in the discredited american insurance company's old ads ... "The won success the old way, they earned it."

"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #783 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Very interesting blogpost that treats the Libs and Cons as a combined corporate vote and tracks the decline of that vote historically. (Well, fairly recent history, but it's interesting.)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 11, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
... but apparently the NDP is looking at organizing a provincial party here in Quebec.

I wonder how that would go over with supporters of Québec solidaire:confused

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this article was posted at another forum I frequent: 

Will the Orange Wave lift Quebec solidaire too?

It's a faulty article, beginning with the author's belief in the demise of sovereignty in Quebec.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 11, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 11, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Unfortunately I can't view vids on my clunker. Is it the clunker or the lack of high-speed? I should be able to remedy the latter soon.

I have heard Ms Brosseau very halting indeed in French, and turning to English. "Not speaking" French is overstating it.

But she spoke French as a child and is only 27 - I think she could put that right pretty damned fast.

" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 11, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
Well, this description of her visit to the riding today says her French is pretty good and she declined every offer to switch to English.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 11, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
I'm not surprised, given her life history. She seems very motivated, and keen on pressing for issues relating to single parents. This will be very important, against the Tories' income-splitting crap. (Which will also mean nothing for low-income two-parent households).

She may well enjoy time in her semi-rural riding. It isn't as remote as some newspapers would have it; it is between Joliette and Trois-Rivières. There are some pretty towns there, where she can find a flat or a cottage for not a lot of cash to spend time in her constituency, as well as in Ottawa as she already lives in Gatineau.
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 11, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
Yes, plus she is involved with rescuing lost and injured animals.  Good to have an MP that has empathy for coping with the stresses of life.  Awful that there is such media focus on Ms. Brosseau.  Meanwhile, why no attention paid to Steve's new Toronto (area code 416) MPs?  Who are they?  It's like they got elected and got immediately assigned to the witness protection program.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 12, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
She may well enjoy time in her semi-rural riding.

I would assume the fishing is great!
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #791 on: May 12, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »
The fishies aren't all merc'd up? ;)
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Return To TAT