Author Topic: Tunisian govt violent attacks against protesters  (Read 12119 times)

deBeauxOs

Tunisian govt violent attacks against protesters
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
Idiotic tweet: @KatrinaNation Is Tunisia first Wikileaks revolution?
My response.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Re: Tunisian govt violent attacks against protesters
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Idiotic tweet: @KatrinaNation Is Tunisia first Wikileaks revolution?
My response.

And she's one of the leading lights of the American liberal left.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
I'm stunned that she would tweet that.

I don't think your link works.

ETA: Link works, sorry
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:01:28 PM by Antonia »
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

deBeauxOs

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
The tweet does seem to originate from her Twitter acct, and I was simply flabbergasted by such a flippant and/or ignorant question on Twitter. 

Rhetorical? - perhaps, but idiotic imho.

Update from @Doug Sanders, a link to a news item in Le Monde that reports that the dictator's spouse left the country with 45M$ in gold ingots.  The dame knows how to pack her bags fast, it seems.  Not light cargo either.

Correction - 45M Euros.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:32:43 PM by deBeauxOs »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
I can't read the tweets, but I'm not on twitter.

The twitter revoution stuff is so fucking ethnocentric.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:58:53 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
Ethnocentric? You wouldn't say that if you saw how many Tunisians had been tweeting, or how many Iranians are, or my friend Dominique, who I'm guessing is from Montreal (because she will RT Canadian stuff I tweet) but who seems to be living somewhere in the ME, or maybe in Iran.

Nothing ethnocentric about my tweeps.

Mandos, you'd call vanden Heuvel "left"? She's establishment media -- part owner of the Nation, publisher, etc, and she's on the Sunday morning talk shows. That's left? I mean, she's a nice liberal lady and all, and I'm glad to think she's making Eric Holder's life tougher, but left?

deBeauxOs

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 07:37:38 PM »
lagatta, that particular tweet I linked to was shocking because the author was so uninformed in spite of all that is currently available.

fern hill and I have been following women based in Tunisie, Egypt, etc,  who share updates, photos, investigative questions and links to news items across the internet in real time.  One example from a prodigious tweeter, Dima Khatib.  You don't need to be registered at Twitter to read her tweets in several languages including French.

Article here from another woman who tweets about Tunisie and other connected issues, Mona Eltahawy.

And Robert Fisk reminds us that Plus ça change plus ce sera la même chose.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:59:47 PM by deBeauxOs »

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
I occasionally read the Nation as they sometimes do good investigative work ....

Mandos, you'd call vanden Heuvel "left"? She's establishment media -- part owner of the Nation, publisher, etc, and she's on the Sunday morning talk shows. That's left? I mean, she's a nice liberal lady and all, and I'm glad to think she's making Eric Holder's life tougher, but left?

I guess left in the way that the are Democrats left ..... certainly not left in the way Canada understands 'left.' She has no real argument with the political system - only thinks that it is being run badly. That is a liberal POV, not 'left' as in change the system.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
Skdadl
my friend Dominique

You mean @DominiqueRDR ?

I am almost positive she's in Montreal.

And I LOVE The Nation, and is far from mainstream. KVH may be relatively well-off but that magazine is fearless, a champion of labour, Palestinian rights, Wikileaks etc.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »
That's her. I've never been able to figure out where she is actually located, although I figured she was Canadian. I'd say that almost half of her tweets that I see are about Iran, many others about the ME; she seems to know both Farsi/Persian and Arabic, or at least she trusts her sources enough to RT those languages.

ETA: Oh, it says right there: she's in Tehran. I think I had seen that before, but still could tell she was Canadian.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:45:09 PM by skdadl »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
skdadl, I didn't say or imply that using tweeter was ethnocentric (any more than using any other medium). The expression "tweeter revolution" is what I was referring to.

I am well aware of Tunisians and others using tweeter.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
From The Arabist - Why you shouldn't call it the "Jasmine Revolution" 
What I'm hearing from Tunisians these days is, "don't you go branding our revolution." For me, that's reason enough to stay away from the term.
But there's another reason to stay away from "Jasmine Revolution." It was the term that deposed President Zine al-Abedine Ben Ali used in 1987 to describe his own takeover, in those initial years of his reign that offered some hope for a democratic transition. To reuse Ben Ali's propaganda phrase at this point seems perverse — whereas something like the Sidi Bouzid Revolution, marking ground zero of the movement that led to the dictator's downfall, seems so much more appropriate.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
Indeed -- which is why #sidibouzid is the hashtag people have been using.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »
ETA: Oh, it says right there: she's in Tehran. I think I had seen that before, but still could tell she was Canadian.

No, if memory serves ...

I think it used to say Montreal but, last year, when we were all changing our locations to Tehran and greening our avatars, she changed her location to Tehran and never changed it back.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »
Let me put it this way (re KvdH): she's the closest approximation to be heard on NPR with any frequency.  She's on the left edge of the establishment.  No, people like her can't be called "left" by non-American standards, but if you exclude people like her from the designation of "American left", you make it difficult to point to anyone else.

Return To TAT