Author Topic: Growing older  (Read 4603 times)

Sharon

• View Profile
Growing older
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
I thought I should be a good citizen and start a new thread rather than commenting on skdadl's remarks way back in Critters and Pets.

skdadl said:
I do look older than I feel -- I don't often notice that, but when I look in a mirror, I do. I look old. And you know how the young 'uns are -- anyone over fifty, maybe even forty, is likely to crumble at any moment. ;)

I was watching the movie The Last of the Blonde Bombshells recently. The character played by Judi Dench tells her granddaughter, "Old people are just young people who've been around longer."

I loved that because it's so much like what I think.  I never say, "I don't feel my age," because clearly, I am the age I am and I feel the way I do -- so that must mean I feel my age.  What I do say is that I don't feel any different from how I felt 20 years ago.  I was never athletic so that might make a difference but I feel vital and active and sexy and interesting.

But even though I feel good, I can still feel insecure and unself-confident. Imagine.

A couple of relevant examples of what I'm talking about:  I've been working on a presentation that I've been asked to give and I said to Dan, "This is good.  It will look good on my resumé."  My resumé!  I can't imagine not keeping up my resumé and I slightly resent anyone asking me if I've "retired."

And a few days ago, I heard an interview with Christopher Plummer on Q.  At the end of the interview, Jian asked him what role he would choose right now, if he could play anything.  And Christopher -- 81 years old -- said "Hamlet."  He said he's finally reached the stage in life where he understands Hamlet and knows he could play him superbly. 

There.  I opened with Judi Dench and closed with Christopher Plummer.  Not bad, eh?

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Growing older
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
  Not bad, eh?

In fact very impressive.  :applause You know Sharon I think we might already have a thread on growing older, I'm just too lazy and tired to find it right now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:43:28 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
Here is an interesting blog/site "Time goes by" about different aspects of ageing - and the site anchor doesn't pull any punches about ageism and discrimination. http://www.timegoesby.net

It is a US site but quite a few of the topics are relevant here and could be an inspiration for writers, bloggers and above all, activists.

As we, of all generations, will have to remember how Mulroney and Chrétien were forced to back down on proposed cuts to benefits for seniors.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:11:41 AM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
Our senior's group - The Golden Age Club - is changing its name to Fifty Plus, because of concern from a new member that the expression "Golden Age" doesn't appeal to those not quite past a certain age, and we've invited younger folks - from age 55 and up - to join. Is this a trend - moving from "Golden Age" to "Fifty Plus"?  I guess "Fifty Plus" is a bit more inclusive.  :geezer
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:44:58 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
The Fadoq (Fédération de l'âge d'or du Québec - Quebec seniors' federation) accepts members from age 50.

I never thought I'd join anything like that - at least not until I'm far older, if I live so long - but they have very cheap rates on travel insurance, which is otherwise expensive past 50.

And now "youth" encompasses people to age 35 here, so people have only 15 years of normal adulthood...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
The Fadoq (Fédération de l'âge d'or du Québec - Quebec seniors' federation) accepts members from age 50. 

Yes, someone told me that - but it still hasn't sunk in yet. I can't comprehend someone 50 years old in a senior's group. I'm 62, and I'm surprised I was accepted as a member here - I thought "Golden Age" began at 65.  :confused

ETA: Unionist at babble corrected me - according to the new Budget, "Golden Age" now begins at 67.  :o
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:59:31 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
The boomers I know who have joined it have done so mostly out of practical considerations (savings on insurance and other group deals).
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
As I approach 50 (in Nov 2013), I consider myself far from Golden Aged. I'll have an 11 year old son then although strangers often mistake him for my grandson. :mad2
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:38:38 PM by Caissa »

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:28:42 AM »
I just turned fifty last Sunday - so far so good, I should explore the land of senior's discounts!  :))

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
There isn't really a lot before 60. The only one's I've seen are those available through the Seniors' association here; I don't know about elsewhere.

If one is REALLY hard up, people over 55 do get a higher welfare rate here in Québec. Naturally, the government has been trying to eliminate that, saying most people between 55 and 65 can work. Which may well be true (except for people who are exhausted and worn out by very hard labour) but the problem is, people over 50 face serious job discrimination in many fields.

Hope you are feeling well and happy, justme!
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
Happy big-50 Justme!  :hug
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 05:46:29 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes - life has been 'hair-straight-back' for quite some time now, but I have aclimatized pretty well all things considered.

Lurking around here in the mornings is one of the few things in my life that hasn't changed over the last few years.

It's lovely here, so comfy  8)

So far, I like growing older, for the most part anyway.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
I detest it, but of course the alternative is much worse...
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
I'm going over to a friend's house to collect a present she ordered for me: a Lee Valley kneeling bench for gardening - and housework. Not exactly a sign of first bloom of youth, eh? But I'm very glad to have it, as there are chores I can't do in our front and back gardens, and it annoys me since that is work I actually like doing.

Edited to add: I have the kneeling bench - very cool indeed. Unfortunately it will be used today to clean crud out of the angle between the baseboard and kitchen floor which I can't quite clean with the mop, not for gardening.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:36:02 PM by lagatta »
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
I don't think a kneeling bench of any kind will work for me - I move along too much and dragging or carrying something with me all through my gardens - well, that just doesn't appeal to me. What works for me is simply wearing old jeans that I'll never wear anywhere else but to the garden. If they get wet while I'm kneeling on wet grass, fine, I just hang them on the clothsline when I'm done for the day.

Fortunately my knees and hips are fine. I had surgery in 1990 after I badly dislocated one knee, but it's been fine ever since.

On the other hand, the osteo/arthritis in both hands (especially the thumbs) is really, really bad this week, even with the braces on. Ditto for the tendonitis in my left shoulder.

I go to the hospital next week for x-rays and cortisone shots!  :applause

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:06:05 PM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT