Author Topic: Growing older  (Read 4604 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Growing older
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
Nope, it wouldn't work for you at all. A proletarian Montréal garden is tiny, front or back. In the day there were no back gardens at all; that space was occupied by "hangars" - vertical sheds behind the duplexes and triplexes that held first coal, then fuel oil drums, and finally just a storage space. They were dreadful firetraps. The city administration paid householders to have them torn down. This left very small back yards or gardens. Some are very nice now, but there isn't much to schlepp.

This has nothing to do with keeping my clothes nice: I also wear old, worn-out clothes to garden, paint the fence or other co-op chores that I wouldn't use for anything else. They are in a separate box on a high shelf in my closet. And I also have a clothesline.

A kneeling bench like mine makes sense for someone with pain or stiffness in the hip or knee (perhaps even back?) but no disability in the centre of one's hands (some pain or stiffness in thumbs or fingers would not be an obstacle, but you are using your upper body and hands to let yourself drop to the ground without excruciating pain in hips or knees. It depends what is screwed up.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »
I just hate getting older. I'm wondering what's next after memory loss and arthritis.

greenvie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:18 AM »
I'm wondering what's next after memory loss and arthritis.

I dropped off my forms for OAS recently, as I turn 65 next February. Oh joy.

You might enjoy this, Boom Boom. What is life like after 100?

More and more of us are living ever longer. But is old age something to dread, or cherish? Hetty Bower, 106, and Peggy Megarry, 100, discuss the reality of being very, very old

SR: Is it hard work staying cheerful?

HB: Oh crumbs, it never occurs to me to think if it's hard work. I just think it wouldn't be very pleasant to go around with a [pulls a sour face]. One likes to be pleasant for other people to look at, so I do tend to sometimes look like a Cheshire cat. But once you make real friends, people you can discuss things with – books, music – you're knitting a life, and I've done that with many people who are now no longer alive, and you miss your friends once they go.

Lots of interesting comments at the bottom too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:50:13 AM by greenvie »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
Well, although the pension and supplement are inadequate, they do provide some welcome financial stability. Don't forget to get your senior's OPUS card as soon as you qualify as well, and remember that you can travel with a companion on VIA trains at no extra cost (and yes, both people can be 65 or over).
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »
I already know I have zero interest in living to be 100. I'd say 75 - 80 would be my ideal limit because my body simply isn't getting better, it's getting worse. I've gone from wearing one hearing aid to two, I have quite bad short term memory loss, and my hands are getting crippled from osteo/arthritis. Any further complications don't really appeal to me much. And,  I'm still on the list for Home Care - it's either accept someone to help around the house or seriously consider pulling up and moving to some form of senior's housing. Not something I want to live with for the next 35+ years if I live to 100 - I've always been an independent person.

Every post that I've made here and on other forums this year, I've had to go back and correct errors before posting.  Not just spelling or grammar errors - I'm good at both - but correcting the flow of thought - for example, in the above paragraph, I had written "long term hearing loss" when I meant "short term memory loss". I never had this sort of stupid problem when I was younger. And, even after posting, I still have to go to "modify" to correct an error or two. - sigh -

ETA: even this post had to be corrected after it was sent!  :o   arrgghhh!!!!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:45:37 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
Well, although the pension and supplement are inadequate, they do provide some welcome financial stability. Don't forget to get your senior's OPUS card as soon as you qualify as well, and remember that you can travel with a companion on VIA trains at no extra cost (and yes, both people can be 65 or over).

What's OPUS? Old People Using Sex?  :p  I've never heard of it before.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
Nothing so exciting. Just the bus and métro pass chip card (carte à puce).
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Oh - okay. Won't be using one here.

Return To TAT