Author Topic: Regime change in Egypt, too?  (Read 31828 times)

deBeauxOs

Regime change in Egypt, too?
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Regime change in Egypt, too?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
And the international media concentrates on the Oscars while there is a revolution going on. CBC pathetic.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »
Funny you should say that, Toe. Early this a.m. a tweet from CBC Alerts went by me, mentioning their upcoming Oscars announcement. So I tweeted back, "And could you keep an eye out for Egypt and Lebanon too?"

I was tweeting at something not far above the level of a bot, of course, so no answer. But at least my tweeps read it.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
I will be very surprised if this situation works out quickly or well. Egypt is important to the U.S.-Israel alliance in a way that almost no other country is (except for Saudi Arabia, in a different way). The people from State, CIA, DIA, etc will all be in there already, mucking about. The opposition in Egypt is very strong, very politically sophisticated, very anti-U.S. -- that's why the repression has been so fierce.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
Many report that hundreds, possibly thousands of protesters in Tahrir Square, Cairo are ... 
not going home. They need food & blankets. Roads are closed so plz anyone lives local to Tahrir help

People I follow on Twitter for updates:
@monaeltahawy Mona Eltahawy 
@Dima_Khatib Dima Khatib
@weddady weddady
@Zeinobia Egyptian blogger http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com 
@LaurenBohn Lauren E. Bohn

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
@weddady: 
Pour suivre les événements du #Jan25 en égypte traduits en Français suivre @khola83  @mabmbarek

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

deBeauxOs

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
Tweets report that Egyptian gov't is trying to shut down FB.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
LiveFeed which I got from the FB Group
Hopefully FB is not shut down. The restaurant owners are feeding some of them.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
Funny you should say that, Toe. Early this a.m. a tweet from CBC Alerts went by me, mentioning their upcoming Oscars announcement. So I tweeted back, "And could you keep an eye out for Egypt and Lebanon too?"

I was tweeting at something not far above the level of a bot, of course, so no answer. But at least my tweeps read it.

Ha! So I still don't get twitterland, your "And could you keep an eye out for Egypt and Lebanon too?" Who was that in response to, anyone specific, or just a general tweet? Good for You Skdadl!

deBeauxOs

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
The Atlantic: Shadi Hamid on the US dilemma in Egypt
Nowhere is the U.S. dilemma more urgent than in Egypt. Predictions that a Tunisia-like uprising will soon topple Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak are premature - the Egyptian regime, with its well-paid military, is likely to be more unified and more ruthless than its Tunisian counterparts were. But whether an Egyptian revolt succeeds or fails, we can be sure that one will be attempted. The first test of opposition strength will come today, when thousands are expected to participate in what organizers are calling "day of revolution."

This raises a thorny question for the U.S.: If tens of thousands take to the streets - and stay on the streets - what will it do? The U.S. is the primary benefactor of the Egyptian regime, which, in turn, has reliably supported American regional priorities. After Iraq, Afghanistan, and Israel, Egypt is the largest recipient of U.S. assistance, including $1.3 billion in annual military aid. In other words, if the army ever decides to shoot into a crowd of unarmed protestors, it will be shooting with hardware provided by the United States. As Steven Cook of the Council on Foreign Relations points out, the Egyptian military is "not there to project power, but to protect the regime."

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
They don't fucking dare! The world is watching!

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 02:23:15 PM »

Not confirmed - a tweet @ livestream - http://www.adnkronos.com/IGN/Aki/English/Security/Egypt-Presidents-son-and-family-have-fled-to 1 minute ago

deBeauxOs

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 02:23:51 PM »
Which is why e-comm networks are down.  Twitter no longer working.  Livestreaming - *ancient*, analog technology? - is reportedly available.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
@CBCAlerts is a tweep (of a kind), so that's who I was answering. I don't follow that many corpse media but I do some, and sometimes I talk back to them, although it usually gets me precisely nowhere. My international friends like that, though, b/c they wouldn't see much Canadian stuff otherwise.

I don't know what the U.S. will do about Egypt, but this is a very different situation for them from the one in Tunisia. Ben Ali was just corrupt, and they supported him, but they don't care if he's replaced. Egypt is essential to their ME foreign policy, and they know the truth about Al Qaeda -- Al Qaeda is and always has been Egypt and Saudi Arabia -- it was so fake to attack Al Q in Afghanistan, although maybe not so much in Pakistan, where all this has migrated.

When I say it's Egypt and Saudi Arabia, I partly mean that Al Q grew there and is the opposition there, very sophisticated opposition too. But the governments are complicit as well -- the Saudis especially are playing eleventy-dimensional chess. So are the real powers behind the U.S. gov.

Return To TAT