Author Topic: RAWA celebrate International Women's Day  (Read 2248 times)

kuri

• View Profile
RAWA celebrate International Women's Day
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
Contrary to the western stereotype of the meek Muslim woman, silent in the face of oppression in Afghanistan (conveniently justifying military action), I'd like to highlight this recent large event RAWA organized.

Over 1,500 women and men participated in an event organized by RAWA in Kabul to celebrate the International Women’s Day. The participants included a 12-member delegation of RAWA Italian supporters and a large number of journalists and guests.

More here.

Especially noteworthy was the introduction of speaker Mir Ghulam Nabi of the Kabul Museum:
“We regard him and his like as real heroes of Afghan people, we don’t need the fake heroes made for us by foreign powers, we present this certificate of honor to him to convey our love and deepest respect to uncle Mir Gghulam Nabi”.

I wish these voices were heard more often over here.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
Very moving.

I love the quote and the part you highlighted.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:29:07 AM »
Hi kuri, thanks for sharing that. True, we don't hear those voices very often, and that is frustrating. Maybe because it's positive news that doesn't involve Canada's or the US's direct actions? Or it's not 'heartwarming' in a conventional and comfortable way?

I just finished reading Doris Lessing's account of her trip to Pakistan and Afghanistan in 1986 ("The Wind Blows Away our Words" - I'm a big Lessing maniac, though I like to think I can spot her weaknesses in writing and thinking...) and it's really incredible to see just how things haven't changed. She brings a really interesting historical and almost quirky perspective to her account, she's strongly anti-Soviet (with reason of course - and now we're over there ourselves, and will probably end up being nearly as brutal as they were the longer we remain- I say that even though I find it difficult to accept...)

I liked her descriptions of encounters with Purdah and how she felt alienated by it, though she could understand how it could gain strength in an atmosphere of such extreme insecurity. It's not hard to see how the fundamentalism has become so widespread - Lessing warned that it would take over from the other political movements, even though it wasn't the dominant force at the time, it had the popular support and momentum.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
Thanks for that link, kuri. What beautiful women, beautiful people, strong and also so clear-eyed.

Given what the women of RAWA have done through so many oppressive regimes, collaborating with none of them, it seems pretty obvious that if the Western coalition that invaded in 2001 had been even partly sincere in their concern for liberating Afghan women they would have turned to these experts and heroes first.

Instead we got an American puppet and pretty commercials from Cherie Blair and Laura Bush.

Return To TAT