Author Topic: Regime change in Egypt, too?  (Read 30978 times)

deBeauxOs

Regime change in Egypt, too?
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Does anyone think that Obama quoting Martin Luther King, Jr diminishes the danger he and the U.S. represent to the lives and liberty of the Egyptian people and of all peoples in the region?

What a goofy statement.  Do you think that members of Bread'n'Roses are Obama groupies? 

Clearly you haven't bothered reading posts in this thread and other related topics to get a sense of our concern regarding the lives and liberty of people living in Egypt, Tunisia and other countries in that part of the world.

But do deport yourself like the classic "poil sur la soupe".

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Regime change in Egypt, too?
« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »
Even torturers need love too.  :hug

al Jazeera just had an piece about the Police in Egypt protesting that they did not get all the loot and treats that their officers and leaders did, so do not deserve the bad rep. they have garnered.

While the Police, not a military function as became abundantly obvious during the demonstrations, were directed by the morally deficient Ministry of the Interior enabled the slugs of Mubaraks's oppression to operate.

V.P. Suleiman is reported to have been present at some torturings, even if it has never been claimed he actually operated the tongs - he may have directed what was to happen, but personally had his underlings perform what they were so practiced in.

Somehow, crogh's heart does not reach out to these poor downtrodden people.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »
As many know by now, many years ago I lived with a torture survivor who freaked out and did great damage not only to me but to many other male and female friends, comrades and supporters. (Especially to another torture survivor).

When my f(r)iend was being awakened and trundled around from prison to prison and police station to police station, the police driving the van were chatting in front about the normal concerns of normal husbands, fathers, neighbours. One had a kid who was ill, another a kid who was doing badly in school.

It has always been thus. Strange dissociation. You remember my pics of the fun-loving guards at Auschwitz, posted here a while back? I know from another survivor that the Argentine torturers were keen footie fans, thrilling to the 1978 World Cup.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
skdadl writing a squib on this right now b/c Suleiman seems to have been involved in the interrogation of Ahmad El Maati, one of the three Iacobucci cases still dragging through the civil courts. That's one reason I'd love to know where Suleiman is. No one seems to know.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
Here's a link to the Watergate Toothpaste Tube comment that Harper borrowed:

April 8, 1973: Dean Ready to Testify; Haldeman Advises Continued Silence          White House counsel John Dean tells top Nixon aide H. R. Haldeman that he intends to testify about his knowledge of the Watergate conspiracy (see March 21, 1973). Haldeman advises against it, saying, “Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it’s going to be very hard to get it back in.”

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
Harper and Watergate... sounds like a good match!  :))

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 15, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »
Would be poifect, except the electorate has changed. In the 70s, people were still shocked by what Nixon did or tried to do. These days? Most Westerners have spent decades yawning at corruption and worse. Maybe the revolutions in North Africa and the ME will wake some of them up, but this is slow work.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »
Don't know what to think about this story yet -- Coptic Christian babies from Egypt apparently "trafficked" to Canada, although that would depend on what one means by trafficked. Curious links between RCMP and EGIS there. Haven't read the actual cables yet.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
Does anyone think that Obama quoting Martin Luther King, Jr diminishes the danger he and the U.S. represent to the lives and liberty of the Egyptian people and of all peoples in the region?

What a goofy statement. 

Thanks. Glad you didn't call it a mickey-mouse statement.

:))

pookie

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
Unionist.  You have a weird take of what counts as a "dehumanizing" statement.  You are pretty quick to point out other's slights against you, yet you are the master at using humour to attack and deflect.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
People really must read differently -- but I guess we knew that.

Unionist's original comment didn't strike me the way it has two others. He wrote a rhetorical question of a kind that others sometimes write here. If there's sarcasm in it, it didn't seem to me that the sarcasm was directed at BnRers, only at Obama or at the Obama-worship one can run into a lot. Other ppl had made the useful contrast between Harper's vulgarity and Obama's lofty rhetoric, so Unionist added a further detail that we all probably agree on -- Obama is an empty suit, even if he has good writers and table manners. Where is the problem in saying any of those things?

Others have written here things like "Does anyone think that Twitter caused the Egyptian revolution?" On the one hand, the obvious first answer to such questions is "Nobody at BnR is shallow or stupid." But we all know that. And people do ask those rhetorical questions because they have run into wild claims elsewhere and they are feeling momentary annoyance at the phenom.

Let's cut each other a little slack, eh? I was glad to see Unionist join in. Good to see you too, pookie. 

unionist

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
Thanks, skdadl, and I'm sorry if my post was seen as offensive to anyone. It wasn't intended that way.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
CBC map of most of the countries having unrest (a commenter mentioned stuff going on in Zimbabwe):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/01/26/f-unrest-north-africa-middle-east.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:35:31 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
CBC map of most of the countries having unrest (a commenter mentioned stuff going on in Zimbabwe):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/01/26/f-unrest-north-africa-middle-east.html

I see no mention of Wisconsin .... but that is just* a 'liberal' protest .... trying to change gubberment policies, not about effecting systemic alterations.

* By just I do not intend to denigrate the activities going on there. "4 Dead in Ohio" is still with us.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:57:23 PM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
CBC have the wrong date for when Bouazizi set himself on fire -- it was 17 December, not in January. He died on 4 Jan.

Return To TAT