Author Topic: Libya  (Read 22705 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Libya
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
The YouTubes I've seen from Libya do show, this time, mainly young men in the streets, and they are facing real guns and bullets. We watch people die.

It's quite awful, and I don't know that they have the critical mass of protesters to turn this thing.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Libya
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
The YouTubes I've seen from Libya do show, this time, mainly young men in the streets, and they are facing real guns and bullets. We watch people die.

It's quite awful, and I don't know that they have the critical mass of protesters to turn this thing.

I have heard Qaddafi described as crazy as a fox ... and he probably is ..... but crazy is still crazy.

Even that mighty destroyer of worlds, Reagan, was flummoxed by him.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
No, and the North American attention span's 15 seconds are up.

:mad2

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23arabrevolt
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
As always, things are developing too fast to be sure.

There were reports a few hours ago that Gaddafi had left the country for Venezuela, but then his son Saif made a defiant (and disgusting) speech to the country, so this could be a revolution and then it could end up being even more of a massacre than it already has been. The Guardian's liveblog from today is here, but there are lots of other places you can go, and it all will have changed soon anyway, we hope for the better.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »
I think Gadhafi is hyperbolizing with the civil war comment  - trying to scare people out of protesting and supporting protestors. He wants to look tougher than Mubarak. I'm don't think the political-popular climate over there is pushing toward civil war, the people are more savvy than what he gives them credit; they saw what happened in Algeria during the 90s. But then what do I know (though I did know that Gadhafi was never a US puppet leader...though they did finally leave him alone and give him free reign/rein).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:51:32 AM by brebis noire »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
I think that's true -- the people are also more savvy than Western imperial manipulators gave them credit for. All the ruling classes everywhere are looking kind of flat-footed right now because they've run on the old prejudices about "clans and tribes" for so long.

Diderot coulda told 'em. Teach people to read, and then stand back.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
The genie is out of the bottlle, the butcher is done! The U.S. is powerless, they are 'clarifying' the madman son's speech for 'reform'. Obama's 'deeply concerned' (isn't he always), he has a moral duty to protect BP, Exxon Mobil of the United States and Italy's ENI among others. He's finished too, Go Wisconsin!

The clown garish gown wearer Gadaffi won't be protected by the military as Muburak is right now. He will either face crimes against humanity trials or he will flee, if he already hasn't done so.

Moon is 'gravely concerned' while Libyans are being slaughtered by the hundreds. The world politic has failed! The 11th day.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
If true, this is amazing: people are tweeting that the Libyan embassy in London has had its flag taken down and replaced by the protesters' flag.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »
CBC is interviewing young man in Ottawa, spoke to his cousin in Libya, says there are 3 warships hugging the coast off Tripoli. No idea what country.

Notice western media is repeating Butcher's stats for dead and not nurses/doctors in H's there.

The maniac is using the navy and the airforce to kill the people And the world just watches  :o
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:59:23 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm trying to watch the Al Jazeera English livestream, but it cuts out every few minutes.

Good signs: two AF colonels flew themselves to Malta b/c they refused to follow orders to bombard citizens in Benghazi -- they're now asking for asylum in Malta -- and more and more Libyan diplomats around the world are quitting.

Hey, Merkins and Canucks! It is possible to run illegal orders through a functioning consciousness, eh? These people honour Nuremberg better than we do.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »
Dropped by to say something along the lines of 'Holy Crap'!

I think 2011 will be seen as a watershed year for many millions of people.  The world is changing so very fast now it is utterly breathtaking. 

I am instinctively on the side of the breathtakingly brave protesters in the streets of all these countries, facing down heavily armed dictators and monarchs.  Would I have the guts to do the same?  I hope so.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
CBC just announced they are expecting Gaddafi to address the nation in an hour or so.

(and Governor Walker will address Wisconsin in an hour as well....)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Just a 40-second message to say that he (Gadafi) is in Tripoli, not in Venezuela or France.

(and in the US, Gov. Walker is not backing down)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Coincidental that I and others have been viewing Al Jazeera English TV for free since Feb. 4 and to last til March 4th. No doubt N.A. leaders find that a bit troublesome with their milktoast remarks about the genocide going on.

The Al Jazeera English (AJE) international news service has launched in   Canada and a free preview is available from February 4 to March 4, 2011   on Bell TV, Channel 516.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
The incomparable FISK on a roll

And if what we are witnessing is a true revolution in Libya, then we shall     soon be able – unless the Western embassy flunkies get there first for a     spot of serious, desperate looting – to rifle through the Tripoli files and     read the Libyan version of Lockerbie and the 1989 UTA Flight 722 plane     bombing; and of the Berlin disco bombings, for which a host of Arab     civilians and Gaddafi's own adopted daughter were killed in America's 1986     revenge raids; and of his IRA arms supplies and of his assassination of     opponents at home and abroad, and of the murder of a British policewoman,     and of his invasion of Chad and the deals with British oil magnates; and     (woe betide us all at this point) of the truth behind the grotesque     deportation of the soon-to-expire al-Megrahi, the supposed Lockerbie bomber     too ill to die, who may, even now, reveal some secrets which the Fox of     Libya – along with Gordon Brown and the Attorney General for Scotland, for     all are equal on the Gaddafi world stage – would rather we didn't know about. 

And then there's BLiar. UN Security Council have SO much to discuss today; some of it will be about What WE can know and what WE can't.

Return To TAT