Author Topic: Libya  (Read 22933 times)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re: Libya
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
It all makes that absurdist farce of a breast beating bombing back in 1986 seem like a small bit of a long Saturday Night Live sketch.

I wonder where all this will end? 

Though I am immensely disappointed in Obama for many reasons, I am very grateful that it is him in charge in the US.  Were it McCain or (gods forbid) Palin right now I suspect the apocalyptic rhetoric would be getting scarily out of hand.  ThoughObama is a disappointment, he at least seems to have the sense to keep his mouth shut when nobody wants to hear him talk.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
I've been listening to the dictator speak for about 40 minutes. He blames the riots on drunken and doped-up students; said the aircraft that bombed and fired on the protestors were from the US, not Libya; calls for a massive show of support from the people tomorrow; said he is not a Presidnet but rather the Leader of the Revolution; and that he will crush all opposition to him entirely, and he will die as a martyr.

CNN said one of Gadhafi's sons will probably take him out for the good of the country.

(I get AJE on a trial basis)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
Somebody is going to take him out for sure. I wonder if anyone would take credit, whether Libyan military or a secret agent man. He must know a fatwa has already been issued, so I'd say he's on a plane headed for somewhere now.

Gladfly's 'martyr' is more like a deranged person's suicide by cop.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »
You can't be a martyr unless somebody is sorry to see you go.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
UN Security Council statement on Libya

We condemn, we will continue to monitor the situation closely.  ::)

The only sitting head of state indicted for war crimes so   far is Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir. But he   continues to evade the law and also escape an outstanding   international warrant for his arrest, making a mockery of   the ICC. 

Michael Ratner, president of the New York-based Center for   Constitutional Rights, told IPS it was obvious the killings   of civilians in Libya constitute "war crimes".   -snip-
The Security Council, in large part, has lost its   credibility because of the U.S. refusal to make such a   referral when the Israelis slaughtered Palestinians in Gaza,   he added. 

"Why Libya now and not Israel in 2009?" asked Ratner. Nor   was the United States sanctioned for initiating an   aggressive war against Iraq that killed hundreds of   thousands. 

"Hypocrisy apparently rules the day. If Libyans are sent to   the ICC, Israelis, Americans and others must be as well," he   declared. 
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=54574

We really need to put the screws to the U.S./Canada. We need a million people march each to the Hill and the WH same day.

To think this all started out because of food riots in rich western backed dictator countries. I don't think we've seen anything yet. Wait til summer.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
I really like PressTV's definition of Stability/'Stability, a cold code word with US'
A word we hear repeatedly by our leaders.

Press TV: You have to remember   that stability is a cold code word. Stability doesn't mean stability; it   means obedience to US domination. So let's go back to Kissinger again.   He was the primary agent in, among other things, undermining the   democratic regime in Chile.  He later commented that “The US had to   destabilize Chile in order to establish stability.” If you understand   the terminology, that is not a contradiction. It means the US had to   undermine, through Kissinger initiative, the parliamentary government in   order to institute an obedient dictatorship and that is what he manes   by stability. He doesn't mean that things are calm and straightforward,   he means they are under control. That of course it is inconsistent with   democracy for the reasons I mentioned before. Just look at the studies   of the public opinion. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:34:18 AM by Toedancer »

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »
If this is so .... maybe our lad Obama has developed some cojonies ....

Unfortunately I was in another site with al Jazeera playing in the back ground. They went to Washington and were speaking with a government representative. I did not get just who he was.  :annoyed   He pointed out that given the nature of Qaddafi, the US government's response had to be muted for the safety of Americans on the ground. Speaking out would put a 'bull's eye on their backs' - (my take) given recent experiences with Sara P. that is something of a key phrase and accurate vision.

When asked about 'other' opinions, specifically that of Lieberman - the response is that Lieberman's picture is no longer on my piano ... he is not asked about anything, nor is his advise treated with any seriousness. (McCain did make some sensible suggestions, as in a no-fly zone, but the spokesperson thought that the European nations would be better placed to do it.)

To shun that Quisling Lieberman is only  good thing for the administration.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »
Whaddo I know, but I think that ditching Gaddafi (I went with Wikipedia's sp -- there are so many variations) is actually the easiest ditching the US can do short of Iran, given how long they've been demonizing him.

I'm not defending him -- he's obviously bananas in some ways, although he was able to defy the US for a long time, unlike a lot of the other now-failing puppets. But going after him more aggressively and more quickly than they did, eg, Mubarak is relatively easy and makes them look good -- it's a useful distraction, given their shameful behaviour re some of the other uprisings, where the puppets are their puppets.

Doesn't change the fact that Gaddafi is attacking his own people, of course, and we should have a real UN force that could go in right away to stop this, as Dallaire has argued.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »
Libya crisis: Military action against Gaddafi 'within hours' of UN vote
Britain, France and the US, along with several Arab countries, are to join forces to throw a protective ring around the Libyan rebel stronghold of Benghazi as soon as a UN security council vote on military action is authorised, according to security council sources.

A source at UN headquarters in New York said military forces could be deployed "within hours" of a new security council resolution calling for states to protect civilians by halting attacks by Muammar Gaddafi's forces by air, land and sea.
I thought we might want this on file if the resolution passes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:04:50 PM by pogge »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Vote being deliberated now. You can watch on AJEnglish here.

ETA: Vote passes with 5 abstentions.

ETA: AJE showing great cheering in square in Benghazi.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:36:44 PM by skdadl »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
CNN reporting the enforcement of no-fly and other measures begins in a few hours, and that the US has given its blessing to arms shipments from Egypt to Libyan rebels.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »
Someone on Twitter sent me a link to a Dutch site that does radio signals (don't ask -- I don't understand how this works), and he is reporting planes taking off already from Italy for Malta.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »
Where can I find the Rules of Engagement? Are the countries involved going to interpret it the same way? What is the objective, to protect civilians or to kill/capture Gadaffi?

Return To TAT