Author Topic: What are you having for supper?  (Read 132528 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Re: What are you having for supper?
« Reply #1245 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
lagatta, is it true that in Europe you are not allowed to touch the produce at the markets?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
In some countries, not all. And I haven't been to the majority of European countries by any means.

I know that at some markets in France, that is the case. It didn't seem to bother anyone in Amsterdam. But those are just two of many, varied countries.

" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1247 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:03 AM »
It is easy to make anything delicious by adding lots of animal fat - this is a visceral reaction from untold generations of people living in cold and hunger and depending on the boost from the hunt

Huh. This may be obvious to you but I'd never considered it before, Lagatta - that our attraction to fat has been hardwired over thousands of years by necessity.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »
FWIW Teh Petro-Can refinery in Oakville was kept operating for years past it's expected life term because it produced a wax that was shipped to Europe. It is the thin eatable covering that covers apples and other veggies. Clear, it allows the item to be seen, touched and manupilated in all it's natural glory without actually coming in contact with the handler's hands.

It is not so popular in N. America.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:49:53 AM by Croghan27 »
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29:04 AM »
The combination of it (finally) getting a bit warmer and training for an endurance race (yay, carbs!) mean that I'm making a lot of pasta salads these days, in particular with orzo. Although I was enjoying the game steak and slow-cooker stew kick I'd been during the winter, it's nice to be able to enjoy some simple cold suppers again. Usually just red peppers, the orzo, and a homemade vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, maple syrup, truffle-infused oil and salt and pepper.

Although I'm not growing food in my garden this year (except nasturiums which are dual purpose, I guess), I was pleasantly shocked to see some volunteer oregano come back and thrive, so I've been throwing bits of that into the salads.

Return To TAT