Author Topic: the BASEBALL thread...  (Read 42575 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 06:12:14 PM »
This past weekend, Quebec F1 driver Jacques Villeneuve was sacked by his team (BMW-Sauber). Hasn't won a race in I think six years now, he's 35, and simply not worth many millions of dollars every year any longer. He won the Indy 500, and the World Driving Championship (twice) but that's in the past. His dad was a legend, but never a champion like his son. I used to race at Mosport and Mount Tremblant, never won, but I remember the thrill of it all.

k'in

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »
Baseball places a great value on left handed pitchers with flexible arms.  "Live" arms especially so.  It's a scarcity thing I guess & the good thing is we don't have to watch it on TV or buy a ticket if we don't want to.  Remember ex Blue Jay Al Leiter?  Left handed pitcher who collected a huge paycheck (3 million per annum?) & never worked because he had a perpetual hangnail.  Until he became a free agent & signed with the Florida Marlins for millions & lo and behold he could actually pitch,---for a while.  

What angers me more is the public sector subsidy to already rich owners.  I'm thinking in particular of the "threat of relocation" if you don't build me a new stadium so I can make even more money.  Toronto skydome was budgeted to cost 150 million.  Came in at 600 million. Got sold off to Ted Rogers (current Blue Jays owner) for 20 some odd million.  Corporate welfare strikes again. Not to mention the exclusive food service deals given out to the buddies such as John Bitove (anyone remember the independent hotdogs vendors getting banned?-can't cut into the big guy's monopoly). I recall that during the work stoppage of the early 1990s the concept of "economic stimulus" was debunked  by a respected economist (it's late or I'd search for the link but it was prominent at the time).  Substitution effect was confirmed as the dollars lost to the baseball stoppage were spent elsewhere in the economy dollar for dollar (movies, other entertainment, etc).

edited-typo

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 11:01:58 AM »
Ahhh, over the weekend the Yanks took 5 games from the Red Sucks, at Fenway of all places.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gee it feels like playoffs. So even though the Sawks did win a series a while back, that just proves that even a blind squirrel can find the occasional acorn.

This reminds me of 1978 again. Where the hell is Bucky Dent?
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »
*grump*

I used to like the Red Sox.

And I really like Fenway. I especially like Fenway franks.  

*/grump*

Sleeping Sun

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 11:20:12 AM »
I was distracted from whole Yanks/Sox saga by the train wreck that was the Jays game last night.  I start watching in the second, things are going good, and then Lily has a complete and utter meltdown, going from 8-0 to 8-6 (it was 8-7 at the end of the third) before he was yanked, under loud and obvious protestation.

How do you blow an 8 point lead in approx. one inning!?

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 01:36:37 PM »
I used to like the Red Sox.

Well I'm glad you got over that then.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »
Tommy: I got over baseball.  :(

Caissa

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 01:48:20 PM »
Time to fire Gibbons and try to resign Lilly to a long term contract.

John_D

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 02:02:10 PM »
Tommy - you're a Yankees fan?

I'm very sorry to announce that we, officially, cannot be friends. Wouldn't do to fraternize with the enemy.

Caissa - Don't know if I agree with firing Gibbons. I think Lilly was mostly at fault for what happened - he deserved to be pulled from the game, and he openly challenged his manager's authority. Besides, Lilly isn't even a particularly good pitcher, so there's no need to coddle him.

Caissa

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 02:03:40 PM »
First Hillebrand and now Lilly. I'm seeing a pattern of behaviour...

Lilly is number one in strikeouts on the team and I believe #2 in innings pitched and ERA.

John_D

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
First Hillebrand and now Lilly. I'm seeing a pattern of behaviour...

Lilly is number one in strikeouts on the team and I believe #2 in innings pitched and ERA.

He's still just a .500 pitcher, and he always has been. I'm not saying he sucks, or even that he shouldn't be resigned, just that it wouldn't be particularly hard to replace him if necessary.

And not all his stats are that good, either. He leads the team in losses, and has more than twice as many walks as any other pitcher on the staff.

I'm sorry to go on about this, though. We should be uniting against the common enemy... the Yankees fan!  :D

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
Tommy - you're a Yankees fan?

Hey, it's not like I could help it. I remember sitting down with my Grandfather listening to Yankee games on the radio back when I was a kid, even before the Blue Jays existed. He had followed them since he was a kid (and he was born in 1913!). Imagine the stories he had.

Actually two of my fondest memories are staying up late (much later then my usual bedtime) at his house to watch Reggie hit those three home runs in the '77 series and me racing home to watch that playoff game in '78 and him being there on my folks couch waiting for me, as he'd ditched work.

He passed away the next February.

Caissa

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 02:35:30 PM »
Bucky Dent broke my heart in 78. My grandfather group up in Boston and I inherited his love for the Red Sox.

I truly hate the Yankees as all "left" thinking people should.  :D

I met Reggie Jackson once in Cooperstown when he was playing a round of golf on induction day 1995. A very big man who was taking the time to sign autographs for kids along the fence.

k'in

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »
I find it hard to watch baseball on TV (so slow and boring) but I did take in the last 2 innings of the Yankees-Tigers game last night the old fashioned way-on the radio.

There were some dramatic moments.  The Yankees were ahead 3-2, top of the eighth ...Tigers threatened but got shut down.  Top of the ninth, 3 run homerun for the come from behind victory.  If the Tigers make the playoffs (they're 33 games over .500 right now), this will prove to have been a pivotal victory.

John_D

• View Profile
the BASEBALL thread...
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 10:09:50 PM »
I found an online baseball almanac that's been an endless source of wasted time for the last couple of days. It's got the score and date of every game ever played, in both the American and National Leagues, dating back to 1901 and 1876 respectively. It's got... well, everything.

Want to know who holds the AL record for third basemen for most double plays turned in a season? It's Craig Nettles, who helped turn two 54 times for the 1971 Cleveland Indians.

Interested in what's the record for most consecutive seasons for a pitcher to lead the league in losses? Four, and its been done twice. Once by Pedro Ramos, who did with the Senators (1958-60) and the Twins (1961), and once by Phil Niekro who did it with the Braves (1977-80). And he's in the Hall of Fame! He's thrown a no-hitter! (August 5, 1973, against the Padres.)

Ever wondered how the Saint Louis Perfectos did in one-run games in 1899? They went 21 and 15, with the last such game of the season being an 8-7 win over Cincinnati on October 8th in the first half of a doubleheader. (The second game ended in a 1-1 tie.)

If you know what a 6-4-3 double play is, can explain the infield fly rule, and have a strong opinion on Moneyball, this may be the site for you. Also, if you meet all those criteria... uh, do you wanna get together for a cup of coffee some time?  :wink:

Return To TAT