Author Topic: Kitchen pron 2  (Read 13133 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Kitchen pron 2
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
Funny. I can't find the original Kitchen Pron thread. So let's have a new one.

I have a qweschun. Is silicone -- as in the cutesy citrus-coloured stuff now being used to make spoons and ladles and spatulas -- neutral? ie, inert? ie, safe?

It's nice for the cook b/c it does not damage teh pots and pans.

brebis noire

• View Profile
Re: Kitchen pron 2
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
I got taken in by the colours. It has its temperature limits, but all in all it's pretty solid. No problems in the dishwasher, in any case.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
The real freaky stuff is the bakeware; loaf pans and muffin tins that (unfilled) look like background props from a Dali painting.  But they work, and nicely too.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
I've been eyeing them as well; make great gifts to peeps who love to bake.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49:02 PM »
It's funny what excites you as you get older.

The other day, in my cockamamie way of making iced tea -- put the hot teapot in the freezer, pour into pitcher, repeat -- I forgot the pot in the freezer. Two days later, I take it out, put it in the sink to thaw and, of course, the bottom falls off.

I am ashamed to admit this is not the first time.  ::)

Determined never to have this happen again, I splurged on a stainless steel teapot. 1.5 litres so it makes LOTS of tea, comes with an infuser, dishwasher (and presumably freezer) safe and it's unbreakable. I loves it.
http://www.cuisinox.com/products.php?product_id=1129
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:15:33 PM »
Better than the stainless steel teapots available at all Chinese shops?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:22:09 AM »
I didn't look, and I have Chinese shops nearby. I always thought they used CHINA.  :))
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:04:17 AM »
Oh, I'm sure yours is better quality. I've never seen one that big in Chinese shops, for one thing. These are similar to the stainless teapots one sees in Asian restaurants.

Speaking of Asian, there is a lot of stainless cook and tableware made in India as well.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Anyway, I try to avoid buying anything made in China if I can. It's my own BDS movement.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »
Antonia - I have a Cuisinox stainless steel frying pan which I love.  They are a Canadian company,  no?

Plus, a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy in Sobey's frying up some yummy Nova Scotian scallops on a portable induction stove.   The Cuisinox brand is safe for use on one of these interesting, supposedly energy-efficient, non--fume/heat emitting appliances.

Anybody have one? 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:59:56 PM by k'in »

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
Quebec company.

This is the first product of theirs I have purchased as all my kitchen stuff is from the 70s (Le Creuset mostly, plus an incredible set of copper-bottom pots and pans from the now-defunct Montgomery Ward which we had purchased for our place in the NY Adirondacks in another life.)

So I only buy stuff to replace what is broken.

But this is so good that I would definitely recommend the brand for anything at this point. The bonus is, as you point out, that it's Canadian.

BTW; I bought it at Kitchen Roots on Danforth, just east of Pape
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »
Antonia, I most certainly agree about your BDS, but it has become well nigh impossible to buy nothing made in China, or even lower-wage Asian sweatshop locations.

I bought a Point Zero skirt at Winners, with all the labels about it being a Montreal firm; the China stuff is hidden far inside. I do have some locally made garments, but they are hard to find, especially above size 6 or so (there are cool young designers who have the stuff made up here, but they are making for cute young things).

The most offensive products, such as toxic pet and baby food, are utterly hidden from consumers.

Where is Cuisinox made? I wouldn't be surprised if it is made in China. One of my favourite pans is a cast iron skillet made in Carleton Place, near Ottawa. Talk about local. But may be older than I am.

I certainly hope I am mistaken and that Cuisinox is made in Canada, or at least in the Naftalands or another place with decent labour standards.

You are right to spend more for "clean" products, and certainly for quality products. Alas a lot of my Le Creuset was damaged, not mostly by me but by ... people ... I was living with. It has become prohibitively expensive; it used to be sold at department stores and there were great sales.
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
Yep - Kitchen Roots.  That's where I got the Cuisinox frying pan - love that store.

ETA:  lagatta - yes, it is hard to determine which consumer products are actually Canadian made.

Cuisinox Elite Canada's best-kept secret is out. Cuisinox has rapidly become a household name in Canada and is now available in the USA and abroad. Cuisinox offers only premium quality stainless steel multi-clad cookware which has received several "Best Cookware" ratings and "Best Buy" accolades in Canada and the USA. Cuisinox Elite cookware is specially hand crafted and meticulously inspected for quality assurance.  Cuisinox Elite really cooks as good as it looks!
No mention of where the cookware s made.
Drifting---a few months ago, I went to buy dog kibble.  The person at the local store informed me that the company's food  had I'd been buying for years was soon to be manufactured - not independently - but by Proctor & Gamble (animal testers), and they would not be re-ordering this brand.  Fortunately, dog has adjusted to the new food.  But, most people will not notice the change in ownership, as these companies are devious in their marketing/packaging.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:20:08 PM by k'in »

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
Paderno pots are made in PEI, last I heard. Very nice pots, not cheap:

http://paderno.com/
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »
I am sure I have mentioned this before but I bought a full set of Le Creuset pots and pans -- 3 pans of varying sizes, 3 pots, 3 lids -- for $60 at Consumers Distributing in 1978. One pot was a wedding gift. Another pot -- one of those big roaster thingies for the oven which I never use -- was also a gift.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT