Author Topic: Kitchen pron 2  (Read 13460 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Kitchen pron 2
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
I certainly hope the Paderno are still made in PEI. Important to keep watch on those things.

Elita undergarments and fitness wear seems to still be made in MTL, but one must always remain wary...

Antonia, mine were from the Bay, Simpsons (!!!) and Eatons but for similar prices.

Give away the big roaster thing when you think of it. It will make some fambly or young chef very happy, and give you blessed SPACE!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
Consumer's Distributing!  I (vaguely) remember that place....look at the catalogue, fill out a card, and wait for your item to get shuttled out (or be told it is "out of stock")...seriously utilitarian place.

Just this week, I exhumed the electric wok (with cover & thermostat) I picked up there years ago.  It's well-made, compared to a lot of stuff these days, and I used to use it outdoors with an extension cord.  This week, it got dug out, because of the heat. 

Re:  Le Creuset.  Picked up a tagine  & a versatile dutch oven from Kithcen Roots on sale.  Can't imagine getting a whole set for anything close to $ 60 these days. 

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »
SHIT K'IN. That's the roastie thing I have. A Dutch oven. I have NEVER used it.

I have been tempted to have a giant garage sale. I have so much shit. Good shit though. Three sets of silver, for example -- my Mom's. my aunt's, my grandma's. Two sets of China. On the weekend, I found crystal still in bubble wrap that my sister make me take years ago from my Mom's. Vase, pitcher, and God knows what else.

And clothes!! Even if I were to be a size 8 again, much of what I own (and I am talking seriously expensive designer stuff), would be too young for me. I think Betsey Johnson looks ridiculous even on Betsey Johnson.

I would love to hold a sale, and ensure that everything got a fair price for buyer and me, and I'd give the money to charity. Just so that I don't have all this crap for my family to sift through if something were to happen.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:08:23 PM by Antonia »
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
Freeing yourself of that stuff would also make you feel so much better. Would any of your nieces like any of that ever-so-slightly retro designer clothing?

If not, sale for a women's centre, animal shelter + spay and neuter scheme, whatever.

I also gave away a big roasting pan recently. I am NOT going to roast a huge fowl again.

Perhaps someone could help you get a better price for the valuable stuff (that no family or friends want, I think that still comes first, within reason) and donate the money to your favourite charity.

A friend of mine (about our ages) had to spend MONTHS disposing of his late hoarder mum's stuff.

But the most important thing is how we feel on earth, not weighted down by stuff. This is hard for me as I come from a very poor and unstable family and have gone through periods of want, including an utterly unexpected one last summer (though I live very modestly). I've got rid of a lot of stuff of late, but it is still there - it grows back in the night, no?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »
Oh my nieces would LOVE my clothes (and shoes) and it's not retro. Betsey Johnson is cool. (When I lost weight I was so excited to be able to wear it, I bought too much plus I had a clothing budget from CBC.) But they're all much smaller than I. I'm 5'6" ish and they're 5'3'' ish and we're totally different builds.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
The Le Creuset is my all purpose/go-to soup/risotto/pasta sauce etc. pot.  Come to think of it, it's never been used as a roaster. It's the 5.2 litre size.  It's so easy to clean, and so hard to burn stuff.  The lid weighs a ton though.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
No, of course Betsey Johnson isn't retro per se, perhaps a younger and somewhat more salubrious colleague of Vivienne Westwood? I simply meant that those clothes were perhaps a couple of decades old - which is more attractive on the young than the middle-aged.

K'in, yes, Le Creuset is great. Having vessels unsuited to one's needs isn't.
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »
Consumer's Distributing!  I (vaguely) remember that place....look at the catalogue, fill out a card, and wait for your item to get shuttled out (or be told it is "out of stock")...seriously utilitarian place.

I remember it more than vaguely. It was where my mom went to shop for the items she expected would last forever. Though it doesn't occur to me until now what a commie outfit that was. Imagine not being able to cart away your loot IMMEDIATELY. Imagine that you were expected to wait.  ::)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »

I remember it more than vaguely. It was where my mom went to shop for the items she expected would last forever. Though it doesn't occur to me until now what a commie outfit that was. Imagine not being able to cart away your loot IMMEDIATELY. Imagine that you were expected to wait.  ::)

My father was super keen on Consumer's - most of our b-day and xmas gifts could be found in their catalogue, including toys and jewelry. What a contrast in shopping experience to today's mega malls and box stores.

I had to get rid of lots of stuff with our move. I gave up on direct selling through craigs and kijiji and donated different sets of items to different causes. My super cool party dresses and vintage designer outfits went to an animal shelter group who were holding an evening fashion show auction in support of expanding their dog facilities and services. Lots of furniture and practical items (sheets, blankets, animation software, children books) went to a FNs-run women's shelter in Winnipeg.

Back to the subject at hand, we got rid of our microwave (a hand me down from possibly the late 80s) and I am in no hurry to replace it. I don't want to use up valuable counter space. I do miss having it for quick warming. But other than that, I don't miss it.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
Sparqui, I have refused several microwave ovens. I don't have a lot of counterspace either, and now have a countertop convection oven, which I like very much - it makes better pizzas and quiches than my conventional oven did. I simply don't make large quantities of food, even for guests. Now there is a Portuguese place very close by that does grilled chickens for $10...

I did buy myself a gadget today - a microplane grater - the "coarse" - not very coarse, good for juliennes of carrot, celeriac etc.

As for Consumers Distributing, I've not only shopped there but actually been part of a team translating their catalogue. I actually like working on such silly nerdy details. And yes, I like the idea of a store with NO ambience, like a waiting room. Remember that most of the stuff was still made in Canada.

If I recall, they actually sold bicycles, no? At least children's bicycles.
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
Oh yes, bicycles and camping gear were definitely on offer as well as stereo and radios. I don't think they did clothing.

If I had the choice, I would replace a regular oven with a convection oven. Smaller is easier to clean.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Smaller is useless for a large family, but better for one or two people, even with occasional guests. The standard large size of household appliances in North American households, more and more composed of one, two or three people, wastes a huge amount of space and money.

I don't recall Consumers' Distributing having a bicycle brand of their own, as Sears and Eatons did. I think they just sold popular brands such as CCM.
Rosa Luxemburg

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
I used to buy tennis balls and Racquetball balls from them. It was the cheapest location in town.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
When I was younger, the Consumers Distributing catalog featured a "personal vibrator", for relief of back pain and such.  Except that it was your basic phallic vibrator.  We howled at that, particularly at imagining someone rubbing plasti-cock all over their body, as though that made any sense at all.
Years later a girlfriend and I bought one, part as hipster ironic thing, part as sex toy.  I think they were about $8 at the time, and they were pretty bare-bones.  Pecker shaped and buzzed, basically.
ed'd to add:  evidently I'm not the only one who remembers this.  http://lilyonthedustbin.com/2004/09/28/a-personal-massager-mystery/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:21:57 PM by Herr Magoo »
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 02:37:45 AM »
I have coveted a dutch oven for years (and specifically a Le Creuset dutch oven).  Somehow my cheap gene kicks in every time I get close to buying one though, which means I tend to kludge the bourguignonne (sp?) in a roasting pan.  The thought of finding one, unused, in a garage sale makes me want to rend my garments, and possibly my hair.

Most of my cooking happens on the approx. 50 lbs of cast iron we were handed by our former neighbour (and daycare provider extraordinaire).  5 pieces of iron, ranging from a wee single/double egg size pan to a monstrous thing that my 6 year old cannot lift but in which I can make a 12 egg omelette.  I love the cast iron.

Lately I've been enjoying making curries from scratch (last night was butter chicken).  Delicious, but man could I use one of those mid-size deep terracotta type oven dishes.

New house has a convection oven, which is interesting (I'm still getting used to it, to be honest).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Return To TAT