Author Topic: Kitchen pron 2  (Read 13624 times)

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Re: Kitchen pron 2
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
I wonder why the IKEA are only enamelled outside - that limits what one can cook in them.
How so?
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 09:37:11 AM »
Odd, I love fresh cod. Is a limited (local) fishery allowed on the Lower North Shore now?

Yup. A few years ago it was called a 'scientific' fishery to gauge how many cod there are in this area, but now I think it's a local fishery only - I'll have to check. I'm not going to bother getting any this year, since I don't like cod anymore. Last year the few local fishermen with a permit for cod did not bring back very many fish, and were smaller than what folks here were used to.

Actually the only flavours I am really fond of now are fruits. The only spices I've been able to taste are cinnamon and nutmeg - I can't taste salt or pepper except in really unhealthy amounts, so I avoid them completely.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
Special Skdadl Kitchen-pron-related  Update:

I have been instructed to inform you of the demise of an old, overly large, dirty and generally unloved stove. It's gone. It has ceased to exist. It's pushing up ... oh, never mind. A dishwasher disposal was also part of this transaction. Or so I'm informed.

Her skdadlness survives for the moment with a small convection oven and a hotplate, which reside on a portable platform that can be wheeled into place to prepare meals (I'm told there's a lot of this going on - heavy on the lemon and the cumin). It can then be wheeled out of the way for ... whatever other activities might be going on in the now roomier kitchen. I'm not privy to the exact details. It's probably best that way.

Skdadl hastens to assure everyone that this arrangement is temporary but she is currently quite satisfied and has pronounced the entire arrangement to be ... cute.

That is all. This has been another edition of Special Skdadl Kitchen-pron-related  Update.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
Gord, pogge, skdadl and I must be channelling one another. That of course is done through Renzo on my end and Minnie + Tildie on hers, who may well have all been born on the same day (they were born the same week). My stove died and I had it carted off, and since then I have been quite happily living with a countertop convection oven (large enough to cook a small chicken or a pizza, and up to making quiche, foccaccia and empanadas properly) and three hotplates (I never use more than two at a time, actually). Plus a crockpot, t-fal grill and round electric skillet with a glass cover. I'm fine with that actually as I never make large quantities of food any more.

I bought a quite lovely stainless steel kitchen cart to put small appliances on and store the skillets that were in the oven of the late stove. It is a marvel to clean under. Cheap, found on craigslist of course.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:00:28 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
I somehow survived six years with a toaster oven and two hot plates and a microwave.  I can't imagine how I did it, but "stir fry" was probably a part of it.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
Since this topic is titled kitchen "pron"...

The ancient toaster oven gave up the ghost a few months ago.  I picked up one of these a few months ago on sale at a local store.  Haven't turned on the oven since.  The show-stopping feature is the removable crumb tray so the thing stays really clean.  If a kitchen reno was in the works, it would be tempting to lose the traditional oven in favour of more cupboards.  This compact toaster oven is that good.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
I was on the move quite a bit until I settled here - I've always kept a toaster and a wok with me. I've found them indispensable. A small microwave oven came with this house, I very rarely use it. There's a medium size oven for which I've had to replace the main oven cooking element three times so far - while the four burners I've never replaced yet. I'm going to keep it going as long as I can, then maybe get a self-cleaning oven eventually. I replaced the fridge last year. Oh - and I have a huge upright freezer that I keep about 1/3 stocked, and a chest freezer that I've never used. Here on the coast, where things like appliances are impossible to get repaired, we tend to keep things that work as long as possible. If the upright freezer dies, well, then I've got the chest freezer. If the oven and burners stop working, I've got two small electric grills that can take over in a pinch.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:36:54 PM by Boom Boom »

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »
Woks can do anything.  Last weekend I delivered a command performance and made french fries, outdoors, using my butane burner and my wok.  Get some bamboo baskets and it's a steamer.  Load up some veggies and coconut milk and it's good for curry.  Scrambled eggs?  No problem for a wok.  Need to heat up some soup?  If it's all you've got, it'll do it.
Years back, when I first started coveting pretty, pretty kitchen toys, I considered getting rid of my totally cheap wok, until I looked at it a little closer.  Black as the ace of spades, it's been totally seasoned.  Replacing it for no reason would be like getting rid of a well-broken-in catcher's mitt and starting from scratch with a new one.  What was I thinking?
A few years ago, I got another wok, this time smaller (which can be handy), and way thicker.  It's hand hammered, and even has the "chop" mark of the maker.  Yard sale, partly covered in rust and unlove, $2.
I also have a flat bottom, non-stick wok from Ikea, but really, it's just a pot with sloping sides.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Return To TAT