Author Topic: Spring Cleaning  (Read 5547 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Spring Cleaning
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
Think pretty much everyone here is in the Northern Hemisphere, unless Suzette is lurking. Think there may have been someone who had lived in Chile as well? So, do you do it? What is your routine?

We will have to do some serious yard and garden cleaning after the structural work before we replant the perennials that were banished to a back corner and fill in what couldn't be saved - that part overlaps with the (much more pleasant, though no less work) gardening planning thread.

I've been washing floors but of course the major challenge for me is ALWAYS paper and other clutter.

about.com now has a board on housekeeping: http://housekeeping.about.com/cs/cleaning101/a/springclnngguid.htm I couldn't imagine hosting such a board, but at least it probably doesn't have all the reactionary ideological baggage and female subserviency of the Flylady board (she of course has made pots of money out of that schtick and probably doesn't clean anything any more).

At least reading about cleaning beats actually doing it!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Spring Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »
It would probably be fair to call my place the Augean stables atm, so in any season, I would need a major clean-up. But it's true that the return of the light inspires those thoughts.

Outside, except for the roof, which is doing some alarming things, I look pretty good (or will until the thistles start growing again). That's b/c someone else mainly takes care of it. *blush*

Paper is definitely a problem. It's the one kind of recycling I get really far behind on, partly b/c my filing is so messed up, partly b/c I hate to put paper and cardboard out during the winter, when they get wet and messy. Weren't computers supposed to make us paperless? Or at least paper-fewer?

Lately I am using the pocket of my dressing-gown as filing spot for current bills. Well, at least I'm current.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
OMFG Lagatta, danke schoen! I forgot, I gots to pick up 2 newly framed posters by Cot today. My spring cleaning is basically done, garden beds cleaned, so I'm dying to put up the new pics!

The Storm I think the other is Springtime, but I'm not sure. If memory serves the young man is looking at her while she is looking elsewhere. I'm off, now I have to find out.  :))
Oh and it really helped to receive a wonderfully sturdy 5 deep drawer storage system (from a friend) so all papers are FILED! I still can't believe it!

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
Toe, Le Printemps (Springtime) by Pierre-Auguste Cot depicts his young lovers sitting in a swing. The lad and lass are looking coyly at one another. I had to look that one up as I remembered The Storm by memory, but not the Springtime painting.

skdadl, whatever works for you! I can't abide having anything more than keys in my pockets. One gizmo that would work for current bills is an old napkin/serviette holder. I have a dark-green wooden one (a duck silhouette). That is just big enough to hold current bills, without turning into a file folder for old ones.

I do have a big metal filing cabinet, but although I do clean it out from time to time, paper is an eternal and constant challenge.

One of my dressers has died - it was not in very good shape (I think someone gave it to me) and all the vibrations from the structural work got the better of the nails and glue. I need a new dresser for my bedroom to be fully clean and tidy, but I'm watching for garage sales and church bazaars. Nowadays "cleaning" will also include quarantine and spray to ensure I'm not bringing in any bedbugs! That is easier to do when the weather is warmer.

I also have to repaint the kitchen, after all the structural work.

As for the paperless office, that is among the great myths of the digital age, along with Freedom 55.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
The last time I washed my light fixtures, decorative plates, etc. was 2000.

All you spring cleaners make me sick.  :p
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »
Well, with a small flat like mine, and being a terminal messy, I have to make a lot of effort to keep clean and reasonably tidy.

Brebis has seen my place as a pigsty - not just messy but dust bunnies here and there - a few days after Renzo had returned from going missing for five weeks. I was deeply depressed and although I was elated about my beloved returning, I was devoting all my energy to his recovery (except for work, of course), feeding him teaspoonfuls of super-nutritious recovery cat food and stroking him.

Here is a funny: http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/fuo/2305457112.html

quote: White day bed and mattress. $50.
Good condition, except it's missing a few screws. The only reason I haven't bought new ones is because it has amazingly stayed standing even though we've had over four people sit on it before (we used to use it as a couch). You have to pick it up, but I've already taken it apart and I can carry the parts easily myself, so it shouldn't be to hard. Just email me if you're interested.

Amanda

P.S. Cat not included.

------------
Until daybed is sold and ad removed, you will see nice pics of the daybed and the cat who owns it. I have written to Amanda, but suspect it is already sold at that cheap price. (I wouldn't take the mattress, given the current bedbug epidemic, but it is still cheap, and she is not terribly far away).
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »
 :hug Um, if it was a pigsty, I sure didn't notice! I was focusing on you and Renzo, for one thing!
I can be a real clean nut, but I also have a high tolerance for mess. Which is a good thing, because I seem to volunteer for prolonged renovations quite regularly. My kitchen and bathroom have been in upheaval since Feb 18, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm looking forward to letting my inner cleaning lady come out and be fussy once this is all over. A place for everything and everything in its place: that sounds like a version of heaven from where I'm standing.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
Thanks brebis. I was very self-conscious. Remember I was raised by a mother 42 years older than self... with the sense of propriety that implies.

Good thing you have tolerance for mess, with two kids and a lot of fauna.

Well, I was living in a chantier this past autumn, until almost winter (I mean, no real kitchen wall and impossible to heat)... We are still doing final post-work repairs, and washing the floors, there was still some work dust as well as the dust of living and cat fur.

I have to find some way of getting a lot of recyclable junk to the Éco-centre. It isn't far, but too far to carry the stuff in my granny cart, and carrying heavy stuff can be hard on my bicycle. Guess we are too environmental - around here, ten minutes' walk from 3 different métro stations, most friends do not have a car, and those who do are very overworked (trade union advisers and such) and I could scarcely ask them. I'd love to get rid of that pile, although it is neatly placed in those reinforced-plastic reusable bags (as they sell at supermarkets, IKEA etc).
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »
I used to clean the house once a year, usually in the fall, after the gardening is finished. Lately I've discovered my place is infested with dust bunnies, so I may have to re-think that idea. :o

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:38:44 PM by Boom Boom »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »
The last time I washed my light fixtures, decorative plates, etc. was 2000.

Decorative Plates?  :o   Thankfully those are still packed. The light fixtures are the LL's problem, I only did the DR because I eat there. And I only just realized I shouldn't really say I've done my spring cleaning. I still have to pelt the outside windows/screens with the hose.  :p

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
I haven't put my decorative plates back up since the structural work. These are all the Mediterranean type of decorative plates, mostly from the Arab world or Turkey, a couple from Spain and Greece. I didn't buy any when I was living in Umbria, because I was never returning directly home, and was too afraid to break them in my bags. These are all in the kitchen, in the dining room area (alas not a separate room) so they do have to be washed from time to time.

What I am dreading (as in fear) is washing the outside of the window in my front office. The door onto the balcony is easy, but the other window looks down two storeys. I'm sure there must be some safe way to do it.
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
Yeah. Decorative plates. I have never bought any. All inherited.

Some hung in our kitchen, mostly Greek stuff.

Some were in my late aunt's trousseau. She died in 1954 and I have a lot of her things. Alabaster lamps, silver, china etc.

An entire collection of Depression glass my sister thought I need to fill a very large garden window in another house.

I hate clutter. However I get very sentimental over stuff like that.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
I have boxes of plates and framed items - including diplomas and degrees. I don't know what to do with it all becuase I have no space for them on my walls. I'll probably send them to my nephews and nieces to sort out, as I'm getting on in years.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
I'm in a similar rut. I can't stand clutter and I would love to have a far more airy look, especially in this new open concept place, but I have so many things that were my aunt, my mom's, Steve's mom... sentimental value for sure and some of that china, silver, porcelain is actually very lovely. Still there are boxes and boxes that were never even unpacked at our last place, after we had it painted.

That spring cleaning site is very useful. I have to go back to it and check up on things like cleaning marble floor tiles or keeping glass top ranges pristine. All part of the new territory. Plus I definitely have to vacuum every second day now that we share a home with two long-haired kitties.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
The last of my Mom's stuff, packed up last August when we gave up her apartment that she got after the 2002 purge of the house, is still in bubble wrap in my basement. A crystal pitcher, my GRANDMOTHER's silver, oil paintings, silver-framed photos ...

I have hung one painting. I have no more wall space.

All this does is make me feel guilty.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT