Author Topic: Spring Cleaning  (Read 5548 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Spring Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
Yes, that is terrible. There is no room for all those memories. Keep the silver only if you use it (if it is real silver, it is certainly useable). If not, sell it, either to buy yourself something you can use, whether an object, trip or experience, or for charity. At least some of the photos should be kept, more as an archive than on walls, as long as you know who the people are. Some could possibly also be of value for a Greek-Canadian historical society.

Oil paintings idem. Only keep the ones that speak to you, sell or donate others...

Takes time too...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
I'm torn over what to do with my old LPs, almost all of which are valuable. I saw a nice turntable in the Sears catalogue that hooks up to the computer, and I might try that - as long as a replacement stylus is available when the original needle wears out. If I move as planned to Gatineau around 2015 or so, I want to take as little with me as possible.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:58:27 PM by Boom Boom »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
Ah, Lagatta. Almost everything speaks to me. I'm a sentimental softie.  :crying

Boom-Boom, transfer those LPs to digital. Then, if they're mint condition classics from the 60s, EBay!
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »
To me, eBay is just a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. First you have to put up each item individually for auction, which would be a lot of work for a large collection of LPs. Then you have to mail the dratted things to the winners, after you've done the accounting.

Gah. I did buy collectibles that way once in the late 90s. In some ways, eBay taught me how to navigate online. But it is work, and when you're trying to dispose of mass quantities, rather than running an eBay business, which I know some ppl do, it seems to me not worth it.

I love our LPs, many of them Rik's, and I like playing them on the old turntable. Haven't set that up yet though, and I doubt any of the heirs will value them the same way. Gah. Loved --> junque. Old story, I'm sure.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
I think I'll just list each item and sell them as a collection - the hard part will be the shipping, because they're heavy. Same with books - I want to get rid of them all.

As soon as our new road opens - maybe next year - I might consider delivering everything in my truck when I go out.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
In Toronto (and I'm sure other cities), there are a few stores that take collections of LPs and resell them. There used to be a good one on Bloor between Spadina and Bathurst, forget name. I doubt they paid much for what was handed over, but they were busy whenever I was there -- there are a lot of aficionados out there who want the old vinyls.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto all have record stores that want old vinyl, but that's too far for me. I might consider driving to Quebec City, but that's as far as I'll go. I'll go online and see if I can sell my various collections either online or if I have to deliver everything to used-goods stores between here and Quebec City.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
The problem is that those stores want specific old vinyl.  Weird, I just had a mutual whine with a good friend last week about how defeating it is to schlep a box of records to one of these resellers, only to have some pimply-faced pompous idjit cruise through your collection, coveting half a dozen and telling you to hit the road with the other fifty. Despite their advertising to the contrary, they don't seem to want to buy lots. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:39:43 PM by k'in »

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
You're right about the specifics. Classic 60s rock sells. That's pretty much it.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Last Saturday it was the annual community environment day for our ward.  I stopped by the local park to exchange the damaged green bin for a new one.  Lots of people doing the same.  Also, I donated my old kid's books.  They were giving away compost.  It looked really good, and there were lots of eager takers.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
We are well past spring, but I'm wondering how to get rid of an antique bed. It is a wrought iron and brass bed - mostly wrought iron, with brass bars along the top of the head and foot, and a brass thingie (filial?) just beneath the brass bar and top wrought iron bars head and foot, which are decorated with rosette motifs. I'd say a good hundred years old, but not a very valuable antique. It needs a bit of welding work - nothing is broken, but the head and foot have gone a bit wonky. It is a 3/4 bed (48"),

I'd be perfectly happy to give it to charity or to any person, but can't move it anywhere myself. I'm quite eager to get rid of it, but do not want it taken away in the "bulky items" trash collection. It is too nice for that.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT