Author Topic: Last Supper  (Read 2126 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Last Supper
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »
I just watched Top Chef and one of the guests was Melanie Dunea, author of My Last Supper, in which 50 chefs prepare their final meals.

My last supper:

I don't have much experience with appetizers, so I'd go with a small Cobb salad.
Main: Roast beef with gravy, roasted potatoes, and carmelized carrots.
Dessert: Pineapple upside-down cake like Mum used to make.

I'm curious as to what others here might choose for their final meal. :drool

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Last Supper
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »
Oh, what a cheerful topic, Boom Boom. ;)

I like to think that at least once more in my life I'll have a huge plateful of genuine langoustines to eat all to my self, but I think that age is gone. They would be very lightly cooked in garlic butter.

Since I can't have my langoustines, I would like to have a PEI church supper (All You Can Eat!) once more. There would be lobster (All You Can Eat!), with butter for dipping and warm bread. I'd be more picky about the salad: Boston lettuce, sliced red onions, diced slightly overripe avocados, dressed only with oil and lemon pepper, no vinegar or lemon juice. And then dessert: blueberry pie (All You Can Eat!), apple-cranberry pie (All You Can Eat!), rhubarb-berry pie (All You Can Eat!).

They mean it about the All You Can Eat! part. My friend at the time appalled me by going back for about six helpings of blueberry pie.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
Not sure what my app would be. Maybe this soft-shell crab dish I had at a restaurant called Mark's Place in North Miami. Or maybe my sister-in-law's blue cheese stuffed baked mushrooms. or maybe just some well grilled veg.

Main would be a BIG platter of spicy, garlicky Lobster Fra Diavlo, with clams and mussels and scallops and shrimps tossed in too. Washed down with a vintage Barolo or Barbaresco.

Dessert chocolate cheesecake.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »
Oh I love those PEI lobster suppers.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
 I forgot the linky: My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals

I guess what I choose had a lot to do with memories of growing up in the 1950s and 1960s, and enjoying me mum's cooking - she was pretty awesome, I thought. Her spaghetti with homemade sauce and spicy meatballs - I've never seen it equalled, and I've dined in some very nice places in my travels.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
I'm with skdadl for Langoustines, my fave food. Funny enuf tonight I had Snow Crab Claws (special occasion) and they were delish. One of my favourite memories is ripping around in S. Africa along the coast near Durban, you'd always come across a Seafood Shack with cold beer, Langoustines, Scampi or Prawns. Sweet, succulent and buttery. Oh gawd, I'm hungry again.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:27:30 AM »
I saw that Top Chef episode too, Boom Boom.

So hard to pick. I loved my mother's empanadillas (like the South American empanadas except much smaller and with a lighter, crispier dough). My own two favourites are my elk spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and green pepper and my paté chinois. My aunts made the most delicious tortilla espanola. And again, my mom made a custard dish called natillas but a good creme brulé would do in a pinch. And then there is my fondness of sashimi and gyoza.

Damn, I would die from the feast alone if I had everything I loved.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
Sparqui, Argentine and especially Uruguayan empanadas (empanaditas) seem similar to Spanish empanadillas; they are much smaller than Chilean empanadas and have a short crust.

I'm not awake enough yet to think of last supper. I guess we'd have to be executed or die unexpectedly, as otherwise we'd probably be too ill to eat our favourite foods...

To channel Jeebus and the byes, good bread and good wine are definitely involved...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT