Author Topic: Introverts of the world unite!  (Read 1933 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Introverts of the world unite!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
Oh Debra, THANK YOU! I'm sending that to the kid right now. We had this discussion just this week. Fascinating to think biochemistry is what leads our life style choices; hopefully no more How To books....
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
Biochemistry plays a part in human personalities, but it certainly isn't the only factor. People live in societies, and in history. Sure, there are extroverted Swedes and introverted Congolese (I'm thinking of two specific friends) but there are places, times and milieux that exert an influence on personality development.

I agree with most of what the author says (definitely being more on the introvert end of the spectrum, though I can enjoy parties and social interaction). But while extroverts must indeed learn to understand introverts better, introversion is no excuse for rudeness. People have to learn a modicum of social skills and especially avoiding thoughtless cruel comments about others if they don't want to find themselves jobless, friendless and nursing a punch in the jaw.

I think computers, the internet and resulting home-based work can be a real boon to introverts.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
This is partly semantics -- I don't think that introverts are automatically the same thing as rebels, eg, although some overlap is possible. I have known people who were extremely socially detached but not actually doing much with their isolation; I would have called them depressed more than introverted. I've also known people who fit more under the old-fashioned heading of "absent-minded professor" -- maybe that's an introvert, people who actually are so intensely engaged with the things that interest them that they fail to notice a lot of other everyday things.

I don't know about the brain studies. They're always interesting; good luck to the researchers; wake me when they can prove something. ;)

These things also change through life. Anyone can end up with PTSD or depression; the evidence there is behavioural, but it is overwhelming in terms of numbers. Traumatized or depressed people learn to withdraw, even if they were once extroverted, b/c they learn very quickly what the reactions they will get from the rest of the world are. Nobody wants to hear it; many don't believe it or have any patience with it; so the sufferers just clam up defensively. 

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
introversion is no excuse for rudeness.

That's eggactly what kid/I were discussing. She was at the GrandMcMansion and stepmother accused her of rudeness at a social gathering, just because she's not outgoing. Stepmother is a highly successful CEO HeadHunter and expects Everyone to be outgoing.

The other reason she was remorseful of being introvert was because she was invited to a Holocaust Event in Europe this summer, by her Genocide prof for distinguished students, and she couldn't find the words to express 2 things - she doesn't have the money, she knew it could be life-changing for self and felt 'guilty' not to be able to accept such an amazing opportunity. (which was the reason she was @ McMansion, in the end she never requested the funds).  :crying And your right about the net making it easier for introverts, she sent her refusal to prof by e-mail, but with sadness and regret. Thankfully our discussion progressed to how things change in life, and @ 34 she will (probably) not be faced with the discomfort anymore.

I wonder if a study has been done on how close intro/extro are to their parents? Bio-chemistry and Genetics does seem to trump socialization/environment to some degree. I don't know what the degree is, but that's my feeling.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:06:06 AM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT