Author Topic: Toronto work trip  (Read 1819 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Toronto work trip
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »
I may be going to Toronto for a working trip very soon. I don't know whether I'll have time to see anyone (Antonia, of course I'll get in touch with you if I do).

I forget - is the St-Lawrence Market area an easy walk east of the railway station? (I'd only have a small bag). I always go to the Kensington Market when in T-O so am not really familiar with the other one, which seems more posh.

And a silly question - does "Cotton Ginny" still exist, or has it closed down? Though perhaps even if it exists, they won't have anything like my beloved old jeans jacket from there ...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Toronto work trip
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »
Yes, the St Lawrence Market is a very easy walk from Union Station. I don't know that it's more posh inside, really, although it's a different experience -- Kensington is all separate little shops, as you know, and St Lawrence is a vast hall with stalls. Some people know it well enough to direct you to special stalls here and there -- I, alas, don't -- maybe k'in or Antonia will?

The last time I saw a Cotton Ginny it was in Yorkville, but that was years ago. Honestly don't know whether it's still there.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
There is certainly no more Cotton Ginny in Yorkville. I remember that store, many years ago. I believe at the time all their clothing was a) cotton, no synthetic and b) all made in Canada.

Their website only lists one store in Toronto, in the Beaches area.

Yes, I'm very familiar with Kensington. Oddly, I've never been to St Lawrence Market, though I've seen the buildings.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
What Skdadl says.

The markets also differ in that Kensington also contains stores of different nature. Saint Lawrence is mostly about food, more like Atwater, but vastly bigger.

As for Cotton Ginny, that Yorkville store is long gone and, if memory serves, the Beaches one is pretty small. Try a street view. If you need to go, it's just one easy, picturesque street car ride pretty much and I would be about halfway between.

It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »
Antonia, I know that east-west you'd be about halfway in-between, but I'm sure you are farther north... (no more disclosure of personal info here).

Yes, they don't even have a searchable site any more. I'll probably have to forget about that, but I do want to replace my summer jeans jacket, which is too old to go anywhere I have to look remotely decent. I don't find anything that looks nice, between things for skinny teen types and barrel-shaped cuts like Penningtons and Additionelle. This fits perfectly.

Still don't know for sure if I'm going anyway.
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:15 AM »
Email me. We'll talk.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT