Author Topic: Remembering our friend Croghan27  (Read 11594 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Remembering our friend Croghan27
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »
As has been reported elsewhere here and on babble, our dear friend and comrade Croghan has passed away, at his home in Ottawa.

A thread to express our thoughts and sadness, and remember his life.

More information would also be welcome.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

pookie

• View Profile
Re: Remembering our friend Croghan27
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread Lagatta.

Croghan's irrepressible spirit and love of life was evident in his every word.  I loved how his posts "popped" on the page.  He clearly was a person of tremendous generosity and humility.  I sorely regret not meeting him when I had the chance.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
His son and another relative don't have much info either at this point. I gave them the link for the babble posting. I can't stop crying gyus, I just can't stop. I so adored him, so very much. I just feel so helpless right now; I want to know how to pay my respect to him.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »
Oh dear, Toe  :hug It really feels like Croghan was to BnR what Heph was to En Masse in terms of having an immense presence. I was fortunate to meet him in person a few years ago at the same event where I met Mandos. Last time I did the Ottawa thing, Croghie had to cancel because of a shift change at work.

I hope to hear back from his son re: obit or service. Part of me is still in shock.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

pale

• View Profile
    • A Creative Revolution
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
I just saw in my FB feed, thought that this would be the place to head to......Condolences to all.
Croghan was a good guy, and will be missed.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
A FB relative has posted services will be posted there. If anyone here is not on FB I'm sure sparks or myself will post it here.

Croghie you were a Legion of Decency, Humour and Modesty! And I miss you already  :crying
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
I'm not on facebook. Could someone either post it or send me an e-mail (those who have my e-mail) or a private message with details?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
I'll keep post whatever I hear if something comes up today. I'll be off tomorrow at the crack of dawn and without computer contact while at the cottage till Friday evening. Maybe Toe will be able to check tomorrow and Friday?

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »
Yes of course I will. I have your e-mail L.

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
This is very sad news. Croghan was always generous with his words and his experience, and I will miss his bright presence, here and elsewhere. All my thoughts and love are with his family right now.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
I am so shocked to see this news. I was very lucky to get to meet Croghan the last time I was in Ottawa, although I witnessed his humour and generosity from his posts long before that. I especially recall his recollection of Alberta politics from the Notley era. We visited that subject again after dinner when I met a group of you in Ottawa and I left with a renewed optimism.

I'm just floored.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
This is horrible (and totally unexpected) news.  How can this be?  He was so alive - his use of colour, big bold font, exclamation, and  his encyclopedia mind...  I'm very sorry to learn of Croghie's passing.  Thinking about his family, loved ones and Queenie. 

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
I found Queenie. She's safe and in protective care (until August 5th  :crying ) at the Ottawa Humane Society. Anyone who knows someone who could foster or adopt the wee thing should contact the Lost and Found department and refer to #133059.

Lost and Found Animals:
 613-725-9998
 landf@ottawahumane.ca

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
I'm so glad, sparks your awesome! But now for another dark thought, we have no way to contact Boom-Boom and he will be heartbroken as well.  :crying

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
I tried letting Boom Boom know through Facebook but I imagine he doesn't have any access to the internet while in the hospital.

Antonia, I imagine that his sons will appreciate taking this task off their hands. The Humane Society made a note of the situation and said it was no problem to have her released to whomever want to foster or adopt. But yes, finding a home is key.

Return To TAT