Author Topic: I need a new laptop  (Read 3473 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
I need a new laptop
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:02 PM »
Hi Gang,

Here are the parametres: My home computer is a PowerMac G4 - fairly powerful, but rapidly becoming antiquated. I have a so-called portable PC as well - a Toshiba, VERY heavy, which I simply can't take anywhere on the métro, my bicycle or travelling - it is simply too heavy and bulky, and I have arthritic pain in my shoulders if I try to lug such a thing. The only reason I keep it for the moment is as a work backup if my main home computer should die.

Eventually I need a new full-sized computer as well, but I especially need a new laptop. I'd much prefer a Mac as I've worked in a Mac environment for decades - we had them at the CSN communications department in the early 1980s.

But Macs do remain far more expensive, and my funds are limited (as opposed to utterly non-existent, a year ago).

I'd been contemplating the LARGER type of netbooks (11" and up) as I touch-type and the 10" ones are a bit small for that. Having to hunt-and-peck would double my workday.

But I've heard a lot that netbooks aren't dependable enough yet. The small Macbook (?) size would be fine, about 13" or so (I can strap it on to a larger screen when one is available, or to a separate keyboard...).

I mostly want to produce documents - word processing, perhaps enhanced now with some graphics if need be, and in e-mail and searching the web. I don't use a lot of other programs except Excel for accounting, Power Point for that kind of Presentation, and other really basic ones. I am NOT a nerd, except a word-nerd.

Ideas? Cheap ones? New or used, but dependable. But I don't have a credit card, so buying online, while possible, is complicated. And the computer must be able to function properly in French.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:44:57 PM by lagatta »
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: I need a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
Wish I could help, but I'm not really very computer literate.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »
No problem Boom Boom, some are, and I'll also ask at babble.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
Kijiji has worked out nicely for finding electronic goods at an affordable price. Haven't used them for computer stuff, though. But I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a decent Mac laptop on the Montreal Kijiji site, especially with the kool kids who have moved on to iPhones and iPads.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
Wish I could help Lagatta but this isn't my thing. I always just call Dell.

It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

N.Beltov

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
I mostly want to produce documents - word processing, perhaps enhanced now with some graphics if need be, and in e-mail and searching the web. I don't use a lot of other programs except Excel for accounting, Power Point for that kind of Presentation, and other really basic ones. I am NOT a nerd, except a word-nerd.

Why insist on an expensive Mac? All the activities listed here could be carried out on something much less than a state of the art computer or laptop. Why not use this time as an opportunity to go with some Linux OS and the free software associated with it, learn a little new (not much, really) , and be able to do all this on a relative "beater" machine?

I have a dual boot laptop and when the time comes I am simply going to jettison the Windows OS for good. Why not beat the rush to do the same which will come later but will come?

Oh, and hi BnR friends. Is there any way I can change the name of my moniker? I've "retired" the account with this name at rabble and would like to do the same here.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »
Wish I could help Lagatta but this isn't my thing. I always just call Dell.

Speaking of which, I'm in my fourth year of using a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. I've added a heavy duty battery (almost twice the time when power goes out) and a plastic stand that elevates the keyboard and screen.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
 :hug Gawd I'm so sorry Lagatta. I wish I could help, I really want to, but I'm a jackass with this stuff. Beltov can u add to your post, some of us really need to learn more. Me, for example. Thanks. And HI.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:56:41 AM »
Boom-Boom, you should use a remote keyboard to save your neck and shoulders. Elevating the screen is good so your sightlines are ergonomically correct. But pay attention to your shoulders. Do they hunch up when you type?
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT