Author Topic: Huffington Post boycott  (Read 2291 times)

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
Huffington Post boycott
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
Starting this rather than taking another one off-topic. In another thread, jrootham wrote this:
Toe, you know about the Huffington Post boycott, don't you?

with a link that goes to a post at Lawyers, Gun$ and Money that includes this:
I refuse to read anything at HuffPo or to link there. Ultimately, HuffPo is surviving on the adjunct model. Like higher education with its hordes of PhDs with no job prospects, there is a huge supply of writers who want to make a living in journalism. HuffPo offers the promise of gaining valuable experience and readership so that someday, maybe, you can make it big.

Firstly, I wanted to add that whatever HuffPo is doing, they're doing it consciously. When they opened their Canadian branch recently, I got an email invitation to blog there as did at least one of my co-bloggers. I think I treated it like spam because I can't find it now. But somebody did enough homework to build a mailing list and try and do a little recruiting. I have no intention of blogging for them. I was aware of the union actions but hadn't realized there was a concerted campaign to avoid reading or linking.

In the same vein, it was interesting to see the cattle call from the Toronto Star for "community correspondents" for the duration of the official provincial election campaign. I wrote about that and had my post linked from everywhere in sight and that's exactly the angle people wanted to talk about - they want free content but they're in business to make money.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Huffington Post boycott
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
First HuffPo. (You mean it wasn't just meant for me?  :crying :)) )

Hi Antonia,

Big fan of your work.

Since The Huffington Post first launched in 2005, Canadians have been avid readers of the site, with 1.5 million now visiting each month. You may know we've recently launched The Huffington Post Canada, which enjoyed a hugely successful debut at the end of May. Our new site features the same vibrant mix of news, opinion, community and digital information our readers have come to know and love, combined with new features, reporting and analysis on the topics that matter most to Canadians.

A key part of The Huffington Post Canada is the group blog; it’s a non-stop, ever-changing conversation with real-time input from some of the most interesting and creative minds from around the world, weighing in on anything and everything, from politics to entertainment to business to sports, books, relationships and beyond.

Thousands of people contribute to our blog, including a number of Canadians such as Heather Reisman, David Suzuki, Elizabeth May, Meg Tilly, Roger Martin, Jeff Rubin, Craig and Marc Kielburger, Georges Laraque, Paul Venoit, and more. Other well-known contributors include Hillary Clinton, Dr. Desmond Tutu, Sean Penn, Jamie Lee Curtis, Deepak Chopra, Aaron Sorkin and Bill Maher, to name just a few.

We’d love to add your voice to the mix of bloggers contributing to the Canadian site. You are welcome to write on anything you like, whenever you like. You are also free to republish articles that have run elsewhere if you own the rights.

It’s easy to become a HuffPost blogger. All you need to do is respond to this email letting us know you’re interested at Canadablogs@Huffingtonpost.com. After that, we'll be in touch with details on how to get started.

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch any time. Hope you can join us for this exciting opportunity!
 Sofi Papamarko

Second, the Star.

I don't get it. I would think out union would have issues with that. But who knows? These are strange times. Things are happening at the Star. but i won't talk about them on an open forum. Nuff said.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
I don't remember reading "Big fan of your work." in mine but much of the rest is familiar -- as if it's a personalized version of boilerplate.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
Who in their brain trust decided to set up a Canadian site? There are much better blogging news sites out there.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »
Doesn't Heather-married-to-Gerry have something to do with it?
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:55:11 PM »
LOL, oh yeah, I'm sure HR is busy trying to figure out how to charge for content, waiting for us all to find the corrective value or sumthin. Sheesh isn't there a vacant cliff somewhere?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:41:38 PM »
I think I'll pop a cork on a champagne bottle that's been sitting in my fridge forever when I head Indigo Books goes bankrupt. Figures she would be behind trying to making a buck or million from a web-based property.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Antonia

• View Profile
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT