Author Topic: capitalism, exploitation, and waste  (Read 4555 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
capitalism, exploitation, and waste
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:17:18 AM »
All the stores here in Sept-iles are having 50% discount sales on their running shoes and other products , I guuess to capture the back-to-school crowd, and get rid of their excess inventory at the same time - which probably would have all been thrown out to make way for "new" inventory. Even those big plasma TVs are being marked down.

Considering this stuff likely comes from factories violating child labour and other laws (environmental?) there's probably a lot of issues here - the viability of capitalism and its tremendously wasteful actions, exploitation of the poor and under-aged, etc...

And automotive products - why is it that at the end of a model ear, suddenly the value of a car or truck goes down by something like 40%?

I went through WalMart yesterday just to observe the excesses of capitalism - and noted that all their clothing appears to be made by someone named "george".  :confused

I think it's way past time when countries enforce rules such as '...a factory can not make more than what it reasonably expects to sell in any year', thus preventing unwanted stock from ending up as landfill or dumped in a third world country.

Post your own examples of the subject.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:07:39 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: capitalism, exploitation, and waste
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
More on "george" clothing: Stop Asdas Exploitation of Bangladeshi Garment Workers Motion and Petition  (Facebook group)

excerpt:

As some of you may be aware that the recent War On Want report titled "Fashion Victims" exposes how Asda [George], Tescos and Primark exploit Bangladeshi garment workers. The workers are forced to work in 'death trap' factories that breach the minimal health and safety standards

(that's all there is on that page - and it's scheduled to be archived)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:13:39 AM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
I have posted on such factories in Bangladesh and other (South and Southeast) Asican countries here in the past.

Yes, the Loblaws banner has Joe Fresh, next to or in large Loblaws and Maxi supermarkets. And the labels indicate low-wage countries such as Bangladesh and Cambodia. China is no longer cheap enough.

But the problem is, even paying more is no guarantee of "clean", "no sweat" clothing. There are a few niche ethical lines, but they seem geared only to young people and smaller (junior) sizes.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
I have posted on such factories in Bangladesh and other (South and Southeast) Asican countries here in the past.

Yes, I remember. I'm just continuing those discussions in a new thread.

BTW, it seems that every time I go to Sept-Iles and stay at the Comfort Inn, the McDonald's and WalMart parking lots across the road are full. Except today - even anti-Labour WalMart is closed on Labour Day.  :applause

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
For Lagatta:

But the problem is, even paying more is no guarantee of "clean", "no sweat" clothing. There are a few niche ethical lines, but they seem geared only to young people and smaller (junior) sizes.

Check this out. I have ordered from here. Really gorgeous stuff. Not pricy.

ETA: Um, wait. The lines about ethically-made are gone from the website.

ETA 2: I posted a question of the owner on the Facebook page. Here is her response:

Hi Antonia, This' Ethically Handmade in India by HolyClothing.' is mentioned at the bottom of every sales page under, Features and Benefits.  We make them in our factory, thereby eliminating the midde-man(woman, person) Here's a link to our Factory Photo Album where we elaborate:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150248330326501&set=a.338950821500.157244.44383001500&type=1&theater

ETA 3:

These photos were taken in our factory in India in natural light and are meant to show the embroidery and/or design.
 They aren't necessarily identical to the actual garment color. The most accurate representation of our colors can be found in the Fan Photos at the left side of the HolyClothing Fan Page.

Our garments are ethically produced in our factory in India. All our staff are adults.
 They receive higher than normal pay, daily tea breaks morning and afternoon, a standard lunch break every day, additional time off on Fridays to go to prayers, standard weekend time off, standard statutory holidays. They also get paid when they're away on sick leave or for family emergencies which can often be extensive and receive a variety of job related benefits such as performance bonuses. As you can see from some of the photos we post here, the factory is bright and clean.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:06:22 PM by Antonia »
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
Are there ethical clothing sites for men? I'll do a google.

Found this:   ethical directory   (it's run by Christians  :p )

excerpt:

Want to know which supermarkets stock fair trade products? Determined to buy ethical clothes but don't want to travel the earth to get them? Looking for a bank which shares your passion for the poor and the environment? Need a fair trade wholesaler for your college? Looking for a fair trade caterer for a party?
  From food to fashion, banking to tourism, the Lift the Label Ethical Directory will connect you to the people, the places and the possibility of making daily choices which will benefit the poor and protect the environment. If you know of ethical shops and products not included in the directory, please email them to liftthelabel@tearfund.org and we'll check them out!

Found this, too:  Ethical Clothing (Facebook conversation on being green) - contains links
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:31:51 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
Antonia, some of those look very lovely and work-worthy (Others are too elaborate or would "wear me" as a shortpeople). I'm certainly an old hippie at heart but need understated clothing for work and work-related travel.

If anything, they often seem sold out of the smaller sizes, which isn't cool either. Their sizes go up to huge, or "supersizes".

Boom Boom, good to know. Christians fine as long are they are Anglican or UC types, Mennonites, some types of lefty Catholics etc.

I've seen ethical clothing for men but mostly things like t-shirts and sweatshirts - find jeans and other trousers, outerwear etc harder to source.

Of course people in cities who need high-end work wear can have bespoke suits made from local fabric tailored to fit, but that is the Luxe, Prince Cholls category of green clothing.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
I'm an old hippie at heart too but circumstances have a way of making me conform to society's norms.  :o

This is the real me:  8) :strike :bike :piratedance :dance :dogwalk :funky :pillow_fight :rockon :stirthepot

What society has done to me:  :( :geezer :coffee :fear :hides :panic

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »
Lagatta, their stock and styles constantly revolve. In one day, out the next day. But I understand your work dilemma.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
Corporations Have No Use for Borders by Chris Hedges

excerpt:

What happened to Canada? It used to be the country we would flee to if life in the United States became unpalatable. No nuclear weapons. No huge military-industrial complex. Universal health care. Funding for the arts. A good record on the environment.

But that was the old Canada. I was in Montreal on Friday and Saturday and saw the familiar and disturbing tentacles of the security and surveillance state. Canada has withdrawn from the Kyoto Accords so it can dig up the Alberta tar sands in an orgy of environmental degradation. It carried out the largest mass arrests of demonstrators in Canadian history at 2010’s G-8 and G-20 meetings, rounding up more than 1,000 people. It sends undercover police into indigenous communities and activist groups and is handing out stiff prison terms to dissenters. And Canada’s Prime Minister Stephen Harper is a diminished version of George W. Bush. He champions the rabid right wing in Israel, bows to the whims of global financiers and is a Christian fundamentalist.

excerpt:

The decay of Canada illustrates two things. Corporate power is global, and resistance to it cannot be restricted by national boundaries. Corporations have no regard for nation-states. They assert their power to exploit the land and the people everywhere. They play worker off of worker and nation off of nation. They control the political elites in Ottawa as they do in London, Paris and Washington. This, I suspect, is why the tactics to crush the Occupy movement around the globe have an eerie similarity—infiltrations, surveillance, the denial of public assembly, physical attempts to eradicate encampments, the use of propaganda and the press to demonize the movement, new draconian laws stripping citizens of basic rights, and increasingly harsh terms of incarceration.

Our solidarity should be with activists who march on Tahrir Square in Cairo or set up encampamentos in Madrid. These are our true compatriots. The more we shed ourselves of national identity in this fight, the more we grasp that our true allies may not speak our language or embrace our religious and cultural traditions, the more powerful we will become.

excerpt:

Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources Joe Oliver, responding to the growing opposition to the Keystone XL and the Northern Gateway pipelines, wrote in an open letter that “environmental and other radical groups” were trying to “hijack our regulatory system to achieve their radical ideological agenda.” He accused pipeline opponents of receiving funding from foreign special interest groups and said that “if all other avenues have failed, they will take a quintessential American approach: sue everyone and anyone to delay the project even further.”

No matter that in both Canada and the United States suing the government to seek redress is the right of every citizen. No matter that the opposition to the Keystone XL and Northern Gateway pipelines has its roots in Canada. No matter that the effort by citizens in the U.S. and in Canada to fight climate change is about self-preservation. The minister, in the pocket of the fossil fuel industry like the energy czars in most of the other industrialized nations, seeks to pit “loyal” Canadians against “disloyal” Canadians. Those with whom we will build this movement of resistance will not in some cases be our own. They may speak Arabic, pray five times a day toward Mecca and be holding off the police thugs in the center of Cairo. Or they may be generously pierced and tattooed and speak Danish or they may be Mandarin-speaking workers battling China’s totalitarian capitalism. These are differences that make no difference.

“My country right or wrong,” G.K. Chesterton once wrote, is on the same level as “My mother, drunk or sober.”

excerpt:

Global financiers are the new colonizers. They make the rules. They pull the strings. They offer the illusion of choice in our carnivals of political theater. But corporate power remains constant and unimpeded. Barack Obama serves the same role Herod did in imperial Rome. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:15:19 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
For fifty years Walmart has been fighting a war against workers, driving down wages and crushing attempts to organize around the world. But just this week, an incredible new chapter opened in the fight against Walmart's race-to-the-bottom economics -- workers in Walmart’s California warehouses have gone on strike.

Workers are sick of working in 100+-degree heat without access to clean water, they’re sick of poverty wages, and most of all, they’re sick of being ignored by management. So this week, dozens of workers have walked off the job, and they’re marching 50 miles to Walmart’s HQ in downtown Los Angeles to confront some of Walmart top executives. By the time they arrive, we want the workers (and the bosses) to know that thousands of people around the world are standing with them.

Support the warehouse workers' courageous stand: Tell Walmart to come to the table and improve working conditions

Every year, Walmart ships hundreds of millions of tons of goods from Asia, through warehouses in the southern California desert, and then on to local stores. And conditions in those warehouses are scandalous. UCLA’s Labor Occupational Safety and Health Program has found that 63 percent of workers have been hurt on the job. Investigations by California state regulators have led to numerous citations and fines for breaking labor laws for the companies that manage the warehouses.

As long as Walmart can escape responsibility for its suppliers’ behavior, there will be no systematic changes at the warehouses.

Walmart may not hire the warehouse workers directly, but it built the warehouses and hired subcontractors to manage them. And since 90% of goods moving through these warehouses are destined for Walmart, the world’s largest corporation clearly has the power to raise standards throughout the industry.

Workers have tried to meet with Walmart executives before, but they've been ignored. Now they're doing something that can't be ignored. They don’t have an officially recognized union, so they’re taking on a substantial risk by going out on strike. But the workers understand that by taking a stand, they’re challenging a business model that has made life worse for millions of workers around the globe.

As a community, we’ve challenged Walmart before. Thousands of us shared an infographic about Walmart’s devastating impact on the global economy, and tens of thousands of us spoke up against abusive conditions in Walmart’s Thai suppliers. Let’s let Walmart know that every time workers fight back against its destructive business model, we’ll be standing with the workers.

Tell Walmart: take responsibility for conditions in your warehouses and meet with the warehouse workers.

Thank you,
Rob, Kaytee, Paul, and the team at SumOfUs.org

(I had to remove hyperlink because it identified my computer)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:07:27 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 06:18:53 PM »
Boom Boom,

I posted the story of the horrific work "accidents" in Pakistan a few days ago at babble, but I didn't know where to post them here. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/12/pakistan-factory-fires-karachi-lahore

Over 300 killed in garment factory fires (underwear in Karachi, footwear in Lahore).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/14/karachi-factory-fire-pakistan-health-safety
Karachi's factory fire exposes Pakistan's lax health and safety regime

Different cogs in capitalism, exploitation, waste and workplace murder.
Rosa Luxemburg

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Return To TAT