Author Topic: Designer lady parts and capitalist medicine  (Read 3143 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Designer lady parts and capitalist medicine
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »
I guess capitalism has already gone to hell in a handbasket, along with internalised patriarchal imperatives. By the way, I deliberately made my title euphemistic so as not to attract spambots, moreover the original title specifies "vaginas" and a lot of the surgery mentioned is vulvar, not vaginal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/14/designer-vagina-surgery

Note that as the article states, some of these procedures can also be for medical/functional reasons. But most of this is beyond weird.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Designer lady parts and capitalist medicine
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »
Indeed. Wonder why money can't be made by actually finding the successful incontinence surgery. Surely that benefits everyone. My mom had the surgery several years ago and it was a dismal failure.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
I'd say that's one of your best.  :applause 
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »
Thank you
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
I find Marie Myung-Ok Lee's piece and your earlier one round each other well neatly (I could come up with something coy about seamlessly, stitching together etc but I'm translating a statement about he protests today so I'm a bit knackered).

Many of the comments following Guardian pieces are silly, but I rather liked the following one:

quote:

aims22
15 October 2011 10:55AM
A completely 'created' insecurity! I'm sure nobody even thought about it until the service was offered. Yet another thing that people don't need. I think it's embarrassing that people spend money on this - what must their priorities be like? More money than sense. It makes me even more supportive of the Wall Street sit in. It would be nice if the people who had the money were the ones with a bit of common sense and perspective. If someone told me that they had got this done, I would just stop talking to them and dismiss them as an idiot.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »

Many of the comments following Guardian pieces are silly, but I rather liked the following one:

quote:

aims22
15 October 2011 10:55AM
A completely 'created' insecurity! I'm sure nobody even thought about it until the service was offered. Yet another thing that people don't need. I think it's embarrassing that people spend money on this - what must their priorities be like? More money than sense. It makes me even more supportive of the Wall Street sit in. It would be nice if the people who had the money were the ones with a bit of common sense and perspective. If someone told me that they had got this done, I would just stop talking to them and dismiss them as an idiot.

Beyond that, apparently there is no psych-screening at all, at all. If you did have a congenital labia defect or abnormality, yeah go for it, but it seems the majority going for this don't see this as a mental health issue. Goddess knows why but apparently their therapists aren't allowed to LOOK at their minor/major labias. Shit, guess they'll have to change that rule.  ::)

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:18:08 PM »
Another cosmetic surgery scandal: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/14/france-faulty-breast-implant-scandal

Faulty breast implants in France, filled with industrial-grade rather than medical-grade silicone, as well as faulty casings prone to rupture or leakage.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT