Author Topic: Save Library and Archives Canada; also Parks Canada cuts  (Read 10968 times)

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: Save Library and Archives Canada; also Parks Canada cuts
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
I wonder if the NCC is contemplating user fees for skating on the Canal? That would definitely stop many people, including young families, from partaking in a healthy winter sport. And the repercussions for the annual Winterlude festival would be pretty bad.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Some Ottawans commute to work (or university) on skates as well.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
Sooner or later you'll be able to use a bike in Ottawa all year round with this climate change.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »
Boom Boom, I scarcely stopped cycling last winter here in Mtl, which has pretty much the same climate as Ottawa. Ground frost was three weeks late, and you remember the t-shirted student (and supporters) demonstrations in late February. And I'm no road warrior who cycles in deep snow, or any serious ice. One never knows for any given year, but they are predicting above-average temps for the entire autumn. It went up to 30° here today (end of August, and is only supposed to go down to 20.

As for the Parks, the threats to the Rideau Canal also target the much smaller Lachine Canal here.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
No cycling here whatsoever between first of November and first of June.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:39:52 PM by Holly Stick »
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
That's depressing.  :annoyed

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
Letter from U of A History Prof Ian MacLaren:

...Staff have been cut. Service hours have been reduced. The purchase of materials has been brutally curtailed. Loan policies have been cancelled outright. Scholars from other countries coming to Ottawa to conduct research have had their inquiries go unanswered and their trips to Ottawa end in complete failure to access any records because of the dearth of staff available either to reply to correspondence or to fill standard requests to see records. The organization is in utter disarray. The dismal consensus is that, in a space of a half-dozen years, the library has so deteriorated as to be failing to fulfill its legislated mandate...

http://bibliocracy-now.tumblr.com/post/31286743756/professor-ian-maclaren-lac-letter
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:46:54 PM by Holly Stick »

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »
Half dozen years of deterioration of services? That would mean that Harper had no respect for the institution and the services it provides from the get go. He probably bled it slowly and then with his austerity public service cuts went for slashing the arteries.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 08:50:35 PM »
Harper put a non-archivist in charge, Daniel Caron, who has some kind of business PhD I think.

Here's a letter from Canadian Historical Association to Caron with a link to his rather vague response:

http://www.cha-shc.ca/en/Homepage_69/items/19.html

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »

...Representatives from the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) will be on Parliament Hill Thursday to unveil a campaign aimed at restoring funding to archives across the country...

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/national/Canadian+history+heritage+risk+from+cuts+Libraries/7585621/story.html

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »

...Representatives from the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) will be on Parliament Hill Thursday to unveil a campaign aimed at restoring funding to archives across the country...

:applause

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »

:applause

Somehow I doubt the Harper Regime will change their mind (much like killing the long form census), but it nice to know that many care and recognize the immense value of libraries and archives.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »
The question I have is: will an NDP government led by Mulcair reverse all of the funding cuts made by Harper?  :confused

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:44:00 AM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT