Author Topic: January - New Beginnings  (Read 12297 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
January - New Beginnings
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »
A Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year to all!  :party3
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: January - New Beginnings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »
I certainly hope your health is on the mend, Debra.

I woke up very early (feeling much better, but bit of a cough) but will be heading back to bed for a bit, and cuddle with Renzo.

Practically nothing is open here today. Traditionally, New Year's was always the much bigger celebration in Québec than the strictly liturgical Christmas. This was true not only among francophones, but also Highland Scots, and no doubt other peoples. I do note that Marché Oriental is open, at the corner of St-Denis and Jean-Talon - one could always find a bbq duck (yum) but one can always find veg, tofu, fish etc there too.

Of course I can and will simply go for a good walk - the weather is so mild that I don't have to worry about cold air (due to lingering head-cold) but one downside about everything being closed is that there is a dearth of public toilets!

Beans. Lentils and "Hopping John" (black-eyed peas) are among dishes believed to favour prosperity.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »
Wishing everyone good health and happiness on this first day of the new year!

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
Happy New Year 2012!

Beans. Lentils and "Hopping John" (black-eyed peas) are among dishes believed to favour prosperity.

I knew black-eyed peas are part of a traditional New Year's day dinner in the US south but I didn't know about legumes and prosperity, lagatta.

Had I known, I would have picked up ingredients to make my white kidney bean stew.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
Well, that depends on each culture, sparqui. Don't you have to eat twelve grapes in Spain?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Raining quite hard here now. 4°. Should still be mild tomorrow but then a frigid snap for a couple of days. Then up again.
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
Holy wayback machine, lagatta. I forgot that grapes were held in some kind of reverence on New Year's Eve at the parties my parents hosted.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm so sick of my sinuses not knowing what season we're in. When it's warm I'm fine, as soon as it plunges I'm sick, repeat cycle.
To add - can we PULEASE have LESS spoilt, pointless, really stupid, vacuous, empty human beings in our PRESS for 2012 and get down to business for the people. Can we have MORE police officers laying down their batons, can we have MORE grey brigade forcing the leaders to follow, can we LET the internet be the means and not the END, can we have MORE democracy, can we have the next Climate Justice meeting in the most affected country of Global Warming and can we give you Lady Gaga so we can have Bob Marley back? Just askin.....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:59:29 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »
Holy wayback machine, lagatta. I forgot that grapes were held in some kind of reverence on New Year's Eve at the parties my parents hosted.

sparqui, Dan and I landed in Madrid on New Years Eve in 1991. Vendors were selling small bags of green grapes out on the streets -- along with bottles of champagne and other good things. It's fresh in my mind because I was just reading about it at http://www.sharonfraser.ca/2010/12/feliz-ano-nuevo-happy-new-year/. Maybe you'd like to read about it too.  ;)

Happy New Year, everyone. (The weather here in Halifax is much like lagatta describes Montreal -- mild and rainy, then cold for a couple of days, then back to mild and rainy.)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
More rain *sigh*. At least it hasn't been really cold since Christmas Day.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:18:51 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »
Lovely story, Sharon!

I'm sure that what they were selling in the streets was Cava, not Champagne, though some people still refer to sparkling wines from other regions than Champagne (northeast of Paris) by that name. Cava, like Champagne, is a Denominación de Origen / Appellation contrôlée for wines produced in a specific region and using prescribed grapes and methods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cava_(Spanish_wine) Canada respects this limitation; the US grandfathers usage of "Champagne" to refer to their wines using it on their labels prior to 2006 (but it must be labelled, say "California Champagne". This practice is dying out, especially among quality producers, who take pride in their own regions.

Yes, it rained all night on New Year's Day, and there is scarcely a trace of snow left here, but it will be bitterly cold tomorrow. I may not set foot outside all day.
Rosa Luxemburg

Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
Thanks, lagatta! And, of course, you're absolutely right about the Champagne. I'm pretty sure I knew that, even back when I wrote that column 20 years ago! I suppose it's just easier to say "Champagne."

I've made a resolution to write more life stories this year. I hope you'll pop in to sharonfraser.ca occasionally. (In fact, I'll come here and tell people when I publish something.  ;) )

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
It's going to be so cold tomorrow. -24 over night -20 daytime  :cold  and I have to take the bus to the docs for more blood work. I'd rather be  :cozy
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
Most of the snow we got on the weekend has melted away, and now it's cooling down and everything is turning to ice. Going to be hell to get around tomorrow unless he crew gets out and sands everything.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
Hope all is well, Debra. I had an EKG today because I've had chest pains for three days - turns out it's my stomach, not my heart. I have to give up my beloved Diet Pepsi and coffee.

Return To TAT