Author Topic: Jewish community patrol - Action against hate crimes or Zionist enforcement?  (Read 2015 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1145765--toronto-jewish-community-starts-security-patrol-system-to-combat-hate-crimes?bn=1

This article in the Toronto Star sets off my red flags, given the background of the guy organising a squad of citizens against hate crimes (bravo if that is the real mission) but I strongly fear this could be a cover for a thug squad of enforcers against activists supporting Palestinian rights and taking action against Israeli oppression:

The guy looks like a bouncer - or a Jewish skinhead. Centre for ISRAEL and Jewish affairs security chief?

"Horowitz is a former Israel Defense Forces soldier who serves each December with the Israel Border Police’s anti-terror unit". He spends one month each year oppressing and humiliating Palestinians and he is supposed to be fighting HATE CRIMES????

Permit me to entertain some doubt about this character and the operation - while of course any citizen has a right and duty to watch for, report, and act against hate crimes, whether anti-Semitic or against any other identifiable human group.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
Your right to be queasy about this.

Did you hear about the poor teen black boy killed by Neighbourhood Watch for carrying a package of Skittles? Racism is so on the uptick everywhere. No way GEORGE ZIMMERMAN of NW would have pulled a gun and shot a white kid. The cops are covering up for this piece of shit!! There is some sort of Mass Mental Breakdown happening in NA.

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/3/12/11589/4959
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
I'm going to send the Star article to a friend who:

a) lives in Toronto;

b) is Jewish,

c) is a Palestine solidarity activist.

I don't trust that Horowitz character at all, while of course any community has a right to take action against racist, homophobic or other attacks.

That story of the racist murder of the Black teen is just ghastly.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: the black youth shot by Zimmerman in Florida. There is now a petition to have him charged.  http://www.change.org/petitions/prosecute-the-killer-of-17-year-old-trayvon-martin

There are reports he has a violent past, pissed off others in the neighbourhood and apparently Sharpton is headed down because of the way this has been handled.

(sorry Lagatta, not wanting to derail your thread)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:16:43 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
I don't think anything about such racist violence really derails this thread - Thanks for that.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
(Orlando) The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People released the following statement on the acquittal of George Zimmerman for the killing of Trayvon Martin:

NAACP Chairman Roslyn M. Brock:

“Today, justice failed Trayvon Martin and his family,” said Roslyn M. Brock, Chairman of the NAACP. “We call immediately for the Justice Department to conduct an investigation into the civil rights violations committed against Trayvon Martin. This case has re-energized the movement to end racial profiling in the United States.”

(move to another thread if you want - it's the only one I found)

lagatta

• View Profile
It would be better to start another thread, as this one might make people think Zimmerman was Jewish, and I don't think that was the case (and not germane even if he was). Zimmerman simply means "Carpenter", and is a common German name, as are Carpenter in English and Charpentier in French. Yes, Bob Dylan is a Zimmerman, but a lot of German names can be indifferently Catholic, Protestant or Jewish.

Think of Rosenbergs: Alfred, but also Julius and Ethel.

I sure as hell don't want to go to Florida. Highest rate of gun ownership, in a highly urbanized/suburbanised state.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
It would be better to start another thread

There are Wars on Everything, why not a thread called The War on Stupid. I predict we'd spend a lot of time there, because the world and esp. N. AMerica is upside down.

For eg., http://gawker.com/george-zimmerman-juror-b37-hates-media-called-trayvon-787873533
It seems ev. is anti-intellectual/intelligent/common sense these days.

Return To TAT