Author Topic: Best Pizza / Chinese food / Spaghetti  (Read 3315 times)

Larkpilot 180

• View Profile
Best Pizza / Chinese food / Spaghetti
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
I must be hungry or something! for some reason I started thinking of old places I used to frequent as a youth.

Ottawa, 1960's

*Cicero's pizza on Bank St.
 * The golden Palace on Carling Ave

Vancouver B.C. 1990's

* Nicks on Commercial
* Antone's on Hastings  East

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Best Pizza / Chinese food / Spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
Welcome, Larkpilot!

That seems like an odd combination, but I guess they were all foods that really took off in the postwar period, when they were regarded as somewhat "exotic"... You'll soon have Boom Boom on your tail for Ottawa stuff.

Now there is Middle Eastern pizza and similar flatbreads in several Bank St. south places...

And so many kinds of Chinese foods... Best I ever had in Canada was Chinese seafood in Vancouver (only meal I ate outside the hotel where I was working, alas). Montréal is not up there with Vancouver or even Toronto for first-rate Chinese food; our best (East or Southeast) Asian restaurants are Vietnamese. I can recommend nearby Y Lan and Nhu Y as excellent, cheap hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restaurants, and they are both byow to boot!

As for spaghetti, I'd much rather cook my own. Best in the summer when I can find both fresh basil and ripe local tomatoes.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
 :drool   Welcome Lark Pilot, now I'm leaving, I'm really hungry, have fun kids.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
I must be hungry or something! for some reason I started thinking of old places I used to frequent as a youth.

Ottawa, 1960's

*Cicero's pizza on Bank St.

The guy that used to work there 1970s up to about the 2000s  died a few years ago. He was my brother's best friend growing up in the 1950s.  The brother of the guy that worked at Cicero's and I communicate on Facebook occasionally. I ate there occasionally.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:03:55 PM by Boom Boom »

Larkpilot 180

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
Hi Boom Boom,

I delivered for Cicero,s on bank in 65/66 sort of helping out a friend at the time and learning to drive!!
later I worked inside after school and weekends with a fellow everyone called Jonesy his name was Bill Jones maybe you knew him?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
Hi Boom Boom,

I delivered for Cicero,s on bank in 65/66 sort of helping out a friend at the time and learning to drive!!
later I worked inside after school and weekends with a fellow everyone called Jonesy his name was Bill Jones maybe you knew him?

The person I was referring to was David Anderson, used to live on Rodney Crescent near Billings Avenue.

Return To TAT