Author Topic: April is the cruellest month  (Read 6069 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: April is the cruellest month
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
That is cruel indeed! Hope it melts soon.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
It's melting now, slush everywhere!  And the folks at the Farmer's Market said it kept everyone away, which is too bad for them but great for me!  I sat at a table promoting our upcoming community arts festival and the woman next to me had a raft of baking that did not sell so she sold me a 6-pack of cinnamon buns for $3 and a puffed wheat for half price and later plied me with a free banana loaf and free foccacia when she learned that I'd worked with her daughter on a political campaign!  My freezer is happy!

Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
Berlynn, on the one hand I find it hard to believe that sturdy Prairie people would be deterred by a bit of wet, melty spring snow, but it is true that we acclimatize VERY quickly to gentle warmth, the conditions where the species we used to call "Man" when I was a lass emerged. So much the better if you got a spot of friendly conversation and lots of goodies for your freezer.

I have a spot of joint pain and had to take a rest, so my flat won't be perfectly clean for the friends who are arriving for supper this evening. They'll survive. All the gross things are cleaned - toilet bowl, bathroom, kitchen, catbox. We'll see if I have the courage to make my bed...

The bakelite handle broke off my ancient potato masher - fortunately the potatoes were all mashed! I don't often cook red (mammalian) meat, but I did find some wonderful local lamb stewing meat and knew it would please the friends I am having over. There would be plenty of options for a vegetarian, with the salad, cheeses, nuts etc.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »
Just home from a feast at Mom's where I learned that all the radio stations were blaring that roads were bad, streets were a mess and folks should stay in today.  Which was entirely untrue!  But, in terms of the market, I guess they listened...

I'm stuffed and exhausted and parked on the couch for the rest of the night. :couch2 Mr. Berlynn has gone to a jam but I'm staying in and hitting the hay early.  I'm looking forward to warmer weather and another feast tomorrow.  :bed

G'night!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »
Humidex of 29, gonna feel cold next few days.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
My daughter has been complaining about the humidity.  I told her that her skin would love it and that she would get used to it just in time for me to arrive and whine about it!

We have had an inch of snow over the weekend but it is supposed to get up to 10 tomorrow so I will patiently await that! 8)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
The wind is insane! wee whitecaps on the lake.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
Ha!  Well, at least we're free of that usual weather hound here for a change! The branches are barely moving...

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »
Hope my kitchen is alright. I left the window open. 9th floor. Here in Montreal I was dying from heat and humidity ... humidex of 31
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Berlynn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
Ottawa was the same according to m'girl.  She's in a lower level apartment so it does stay cool-ish.  But she went to the univ to study because it was cooler there.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »
I grew up in Ottawa but never go back between May - October because it's just too frigging hot for me - same with Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Even Quebec City gets right up there, now.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
Happy 27th Anniversary to Section 15 of the Charter of Rights & Freedoms  :bunny
Happy 30th to the rest of the Charter  :bunny

Can we haz Canada-wide 30th Anniversary Party for Sec. 15 in 2015?  :p  Since we're slipping backwards we're gonna need a par-tay!  :geezer :geezera :canada :champagne :feminism

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
Harper said yesterday from Chile that his government will not be celebrating the Charter's 30th because it would upset Quebec.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 11:43:25 AM »
What a mendacious prick.
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »
Yeah - Harper has no love whatsoever for the Charter or for Quebec. Fuck him.

Return To TAT