Author Topic: August fullness ... and tomatoes!  (Read 6298 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: August fullness ... and tomatoes!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »
It is all the more ridiculous when the hugest Hydro-Québec power installations are either on the North Shore (where Boom Boom lives) or James Bay in the Far North (Nunavik).

Night of whatever is worth renting. In English: of San Lorenzo OR of the shooting stars. It is a magic realist tale based on a true story of a massacre of villagers in the Taviani brothers' place of birth, as remembered by a local middle-aged woman from her childhood. The villagers were told the Germans would be bombing the village "to drive out terrorists" (resistance fighters) and that those who sheltered in the church would be safe. Of course this was nonsense. The massacre was perpetrated by the Nazi allies, who didn't know anybody in the village as all the local Italian Fascists did. (Yes, this will sound familiar with respect to Spain, where both Nazis and Fascists did some of the dirtiest deeds for the local Franquistas). Other villagers took to the hills, and had to face the local fascists and various other dangers, but at the same time it was a glorious adventure for a small child, and as I recall, there were many other layers and facets to the story.

There are many tiny front gardens in my area. Both the Italians and Portuguese grow tomatoes, but the Portuguese also grow the dark-green leafy cabbage family member used to make caldo verde, a typical soup. But some smaller and more homogenous Quebec cities, such as Drummondville (dullsville) still clamp down on front gardens, when that sort of place should put more of a priority on people leaving rusted old cars in their yards and driveways.

Sparqui, this is similar to the bans on clotheslines. I believe such bans might be illegal in Québec now, but I'm not sure.

Toe, it was very cool this morning (I was COLD) but it is hot and muggy again now.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
Toe, it was very cool this morning (I was COLD) but it is hot and muggy again now.

Oh noooes! I'm quite giddy today. Been listening to Lovin Spoonful (Daydream/Summer in the City)  :)) Buffalo Springfield, The Troggs, Manfred Mann and just finished McCoy's Sloopy Hang On, in loving memory of my beatnik sister, (one of the first go-go dancers) and her Prell shampoo.  :))  I have no idea why, yest. I was given some srs and not good health news. Lots of tests next week, BUT whatever the results and whatever regime follows, it'll have to wait until after my sauble beach holiday, so there. I'm gonna stick with Giddy today. My balcony inukshuk is missing his left toe and his hat from the wind gusts.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
It was cold here, too, and because I have very bad arthritis, I had to put on two electric heaters for a short while.

When I lived in Harrington Harbour (1995-2002) further up the Lower North Shore, a new hydro development opened at Robertson Lake - I had a tour of the place.

The new development that is under protest - the Romaine Hydro Project - is slightly more than 100 km from me.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Toe. Hope all goes well...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 11:45:28 PM »
Well I can replace his toe, hat otoh is gone. Here I am watching the night sky and poor Iran just had a devastating earthquake; the only country to help so far is Turkey. Turkey is a place I've always wanted to visit.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
I was talking about health news: you can rebuild your Inukshuk. (Which means "like a man" in Inuktitit, that is, a representation of a person). I'm so sorry to hear about Iran. I'd love to visit Turkey as well. dBo has been there and loved Istanbul.

I felt very strange this afternoon - it was chilly when I left the house, then turned very hot and muggy - Météo Canada said it went up to 28, which may not seem so terribly hot, but the humidity level was very high. Just getting back home from some errands by bicycle, suddenly I felt very sleepy. Had a shower and a nap - at 5 pm. Woke up at 7pm. An odd time for a nap; hope I can sleep tonight. (Renzo thought it was a great idea, but he always does).
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »
(Renzo thought it was a great idea, but he always does).

Glad your home and snug Renzo, you too Lagatta, g'nite.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 01:51:10 AM »
Fucking amazing weekend here, weatherwise and otherwise!  It's Regina Folk Festival weekend and for a little festival (5000 in attendance) it packs one helluva punch!  Cannot wait to see Arlo Guthrie and Emmy-Lou Harris on the Main Stage tomorrow!

Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
Daytime temps are cooling down a bit - and the possibility of rain every day for a week beginning tomorrow is now our forecast. I'm working outside all day today to get done what I can - hanging laundry on the line,  cutting grass, painting - before the rain comes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:55:55 AM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
I was afraid I wouldn't sleep well last night after my late-afternoon nap, but although I went to bed later than I usually do (a bit past midnight), I slept perfectly fine (I did some cooking/food prep in the evening; making a grated and finely-cut salad of carrots and two kinds of cabbages, grilling some eggplants and zucchini...).

It rained heavily again last night, but is sunny this morning, and the air seems less humid. I have to check out a Québec solidaire event around noon (a picnic in Jarry Park, where several members of community groups I know should show up).

Must change into going-out clothes (I'm wearing old shorts I only wear for housework and house-non-work).
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »
Humidity gone. Temp down. I turned off my AC and opened the windows for the first time in weeks.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
Antonia, I was in a little grocery store a bit east of chez moi and a young man working the cash (think he is Algerian) said it was "a beautiful rain". I stepped out and everything was bathed in light slightly filtered by a fine but persistent warm rain. It was like a shower with a "diffuseur". Since I was cycling home, I certainly didn't mind getting a bit wet in it - it was far too gentle to affect our vision, motorists' or anyone's brakes (the initial greasy moment had passed). I took Bellechasse, south of chez moi, where there is less traffic and no buses, and as the rain ended, was rewarded by perhaps the most spectacular complete rainbow I have ever seen, dazzling over the old industrial wasteland (where Nature is reclaiming her rights, leaf by leaf and root by root) between La Petite Italie and Mile-End/Plateau. It was truly spectacular and I was not the only person who stopped to gaze at it.

I like heat, but the clammy humidity seems to have disappeared.
Rosa Luxemburg

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 02:40:16 AM »
Absolutely perfect folkfest day today!  Warm and sunny with a light breeze!  And Arlo Guthrie & family followed by Emmylou Harris and then the finale of This Land is Your Land was bloody awesome!

Tonight, the weather turns.  A low of 7; it's already down to 11.  And tomorrow's high is low 20s, much different from what we've had.  I'm ready.

Hard part is gonna be driving m'girl to the airport at 4:15 a.m.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
I think our summer is over - we're getting rain, fog, and cool weather. Garden is kaput.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
Well what do you know, the flakes in Drummondville have seen the error of their ways. VICTORY for the front garden.  :applause
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8b0ca4b64558ef6c805814e19&id=059c37ba27

Return To TAT