Author Topic: November's sky is chill and drear  (Read 2193 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
November's sky is chill and drear
« on: November 01, 2012, 08:03:44 AM »
I can feel SAD kicking in already.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: November's sky is chill and drear
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Normal that SAD should kick in now, as the daylight hours have seriously shortened - I was up for at least an hour and a half before sunrise.

Though snow (not being able to cycle) and Christmas (yecch) are other aggro factors for me.

I guess it is important to get as much exercise as possible...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Here is an interesting article from the CBC website on possible means of defending ourselves from SAD and its consequences:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/10/31/daylight-savings.html?cmp=rss
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
I was listening to CBC Radio-One early this afternoon, and a story of Mackenzie-Papineau volunteer fighters in the Spanish Civil War came on, with a trove of never-before broadcast interviews with survivors. Wow! I'm definitely listening to it again on Sunday, Remembrance Day, as I was working on something and couldn't give it my undivided attention.

Joe Fiorito wrote about this (and his dad) in The Star: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1284774--fiorito-the-mac-paps-lest-we-forget

This makes me sad (not only because of the Mac-Paps) because I keep thinking how much Croghan would have appreciated the memories...
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »
Those interviews were incredible. I made a point to listen to the show when I heard about it, lagatta. I will definitely tune in to subsequent episodes.

Aww, I didn't even think about how much Chrogan would have loved that.  :crying
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
Thunder n Lightning!!! Loving it coz don't know how long it will last, maybe last of season.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
Turned sunny and mild here, though the really warm day is expected tomorrow... Out on bicycle now! :bike
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
This gigantic high pressure system has been amazing! Sunshine and decently warm.  8)
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
Yes, lovely. Nice and dry (no arthritic pain). Picked up some parsley root - they are a large-rooted variety called Hamburg parsley, similar to celery root (celeriac) as compared to branch celery. Farmer sold me a HUGE bag for $3, as tomorrow is his last day. Moreover, they like me, as I was one of the consumers supporting them against a stupid bureaucratic rule at the market making them change their truck, which dates back to 1974, as it is about one foot too long. There are a lot of "fake farmers" at the market now, making life difficult for the real local producers. 

Bought some celery root too. I also have some nice little eggplant, but they aren't local any more, alas. 

Tomorrow will be chilly here, but I have a meeting all day. 
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
Got up to 7C here today on a bright sunny day. I was outside helping my carpenter build me the 'mud room' that I've been waiting for almost six months now. It's going to be a lovely little room, and really adds some character to this house.

My arthritis is killing me - my thumbs are almost too painful to use for anything. And I had cortisone shots just a month or so ago.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
Sera's condo/scratch post is now gone, so be it. Kids and I were bee-bopping to some music while standing and chatting, suddenly when we all noticed we burst into laughter. They also took the Litter Locker (came with Sera) which I have no use for.

Did you notice today when you looked into the distance there was a kind of haze, somewhat like summer, then when we drove to that spot and looked up it was bright blue as where we came from.  :confused  Funny November.

Sorry about your thumbs BB, sounds crippling awful.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:11:18 PM by Toedancer »

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
This double digit temp and high pressure system is gonna take a turn on Saturday, WAAAAAHH!!

Fcuk Yeah Donky Bikes - http://donkybike.com/ /

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »
We might even get a bit of s-n-o-w on Sunday. If so, hope it melts. I hate house arrest. Should be nice before that here - I want to get my hair cut, and am hoping I can do that on Wednesday (my hair guy is closed tomorrow).

There was spectacular beautiful light today. But no ducks. Dead ones, I mean. Supermarché PA (small Greek supermarket with lots of good veg, cheese, and changing arrivals of speciality groceries) had advertised fresh ducks or $2,99 lb/6,59$ kg - if I recall the exact prices. None there, just frozen ones, and much larger than I need / can afford. I want to make a duck tourtière and freeze it in my friend K's freezer for the year's end holidays.

I have lots of virtuous veg prepared though. Eggplants, cubed and baked with onion, a bit of over-ripe tomato, a bit of olive oil; rapini, just blanched to sautée before eating, with garlic and long, thin, thin-skinned mild red peppers - and one hot one. Took so long to remove the tiny inner spines and seeds that I could see why people buy precooked junque. Parsley root and carrot julienned salad...

Working on two jobs at once. Feast or famine...

And Toe, yeah, those Donkey bikes look like very basic, sturdy cargo models. The racks ON THE FRAME front and/or back are common in northern Europe. I can see the strength in the central, horizontal bar, but it is not for me, as I need an easier mount and dismount frame. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:05:39 PM by lagatta »
Rosa Luxemburg

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
No snow then but we finally got the kind of dusting that sticks a bit. There is no snow at all left on the roads, but the sidewalks remain covered with a thin slick of ice, and the roads are just a bit icy too. Leaving the bicycle for younger people, until such time as we have seamless dedicated bicycle paths. Was busy working anyway; did run one errand - on foot - and got a bit of fresh air. How I hate winter.

Duck has been transformed into two small tourtières (along with onions and other vegetable matter) which are in the freezer of the friend for whom I'm housesitting. Have to make a couple of vegetarian tourtières as well. It will turn warmer again soon and I'll be fully mobile again, at least for a little while... My hairdresser was away on holiday and returning next week.
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
No snow here either, thank the goddess. I noticed first thing this a.m. the waves churning, which always means an east wind, when I got home a bit ago see the right side of sliders actually frosting up and yet wknd getting double digits. Arghh. Gonna make some comfort food, a loaded potato skin with my piece of sole, peas and tankyou.

Return To TAT